Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

H.A.W.X. Movies

Two new trailers from Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. show off some of the high flying action in the upcoming aerial combat game. There's an "extreme maneuvers" clip that's posted on ActionTrip, BiTT News, and Gamer's Hell. There's also an "air-to-air attack" clip that can be found on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, BiTT News, and Gamer's Hell.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 23, 2009, 23:56 Dr. D. Schreber

I never said ANY of those things. Hate? Where did I say that?

This is implied when you, you know, call something rubbish. Again, Chewbacca Defense; this has nothing to do with anything, it's just arguing over semantics.

My point is that compared to Ace Combat 6, this game looks and plays like rubbish.

The simplification of the flight controls all look rubbish and my guess is will never be used by anyone who wants to actually fly. AC6 didn't need any gimmics and it is a very - VERY - popular aerial combat game that nobody complaints about in terms of controls and such. I've been designing and developing flight systems - including aerodynamics - in games for almost twenty years, and make a dewordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsbleublahbleublahbleu.

I actually did address gameplay and even went so far as to point out that it may very well blow many chunks (since I haven't played it and therefore don't actually know either way,) before touching on what it would mean compared to Ace Combat even if it does suck, but I guess your eyes just skipped over that since it would stop you from justifying yourself.

Also, if AC6 is that popular, why could I hardly ever find a game when I still cared? I stopped caring anyway because when I actually found a game, it just kept degenerating into High G Turns followed by QAAM/AADM spam with the Raptor, Berkut, or Nosferatu. Maybe HAWX is just throwing in cheap gimmicks, but maybe those gimmicks will turn out to be actual innovation that adds a layer sorely missing from the genre. I can be an Ace Combat fanboy since Air Combat on the PS1 and still knowledge when a) a game in the series has problems like AC6's multiplayer in this case and the storytelling like I was saying before and b) that when a competitor brings something new to the table, I won't actually know if it sucks or not until I play it for myself.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2009, 02:59.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 23, 2009, 21:25 Charlie_Six

I just hope the multiplayer is good. Ace Combat 6 is an amazing game, but the multiplayer was terrible.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

15. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 23, 2009, 06:28  dsmart 

Missed what point, that you hate a game you haven't even played based on perceived budgetary problems/incompetence/it's not made by you/god knows what and you want me to salivate over a trailer for yours instead? Seriously, a trailer?

What the hell kind of a response is this, anyway? This has got to be the most incompetent application of the Chewbacca Defense I've ever seen.

No, apart from missing the point, now you're just being an ass.

I never said ANY of those things. Hate? Where did I say that?

My point is that compared to Ace Combat 6, this game looks and plays like rubbish.

The simplification of the flight controls all look rubbish and my guess is will never be used by anyone who wants to actually fly. AC6 didn't need any gimmics and it is a very - VERY - popular aerial combat game that nobody complaints about in terms of controls and such. I've been designing and developing flight systems - including aerodynamics - in games for almost twenty years, and make a decent living from it. So, unlike you, I actually DO have a clue wtf I'm talking about.

Yes, I got all that from the videos and thats my opinion. If people were only allowed to offer an opinion on games they've played, why the heck do we have video trailers or even demos - since they don't give the full experience either?

Before you take off on a lenthy and nonsensical diatribe, maybe you should first polish up on your reading and comprehension skills.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

14. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 22:15 wtf_man

It looks like it might be fun.

However, if I can't play entirely in cockpit view, and they don't include take-offs and landings (as in just throw you in the air with a ton of enemies) then it'll be "No Sale" for me.

It doesn't have to be a realistic flight sim with realistic / proper flight characteristics... but I'd need the basic features I mentioned, before I'd buy it.

/shrug

13. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 20:26 Dr. D. Schreber

Missed what point, that you hate a game you haven't even played based on perceived budgetary problems/incompetence/it's not made by you/god knows what and you want me to salivate over a trailer for yours instead? Seriously, a trailer?

What the hell kind of a response is this, anyway? This has got to be the most incompetent application of the Chewbacca Defense I've ever seen.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 20:29.

12. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 20:24  dsmart 

Whoa!! I think you missed my point by a long - long - mile.  

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

11. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 20:14 Dr. D. Schreber

probably the most unrealistic combat "simulation" ever...

I'll pass.

You see any realistic combat flight sims anywhere these days? No? Probably because realism in this genre is boring as hell (ask any pilot and they'll tell you flying a fighter jet in reality as opposed to Hollywood or videogames isn't actually nearly as much like a videogame as everyone thinks, mostly because there's quite a bit of effort and work involved in it,) and no one bought them.

But seriously, how can that even be compared to the excellent Ace Combat 6? Better yet, who exactly is this game targeted at?

Are you kidding? Ace Combat 6 was far from excellent. In fact, I'd say much more than HAWX, it was a sign that companies are reluctant to spend all the extra money that next-gen titles really need. The graphics were better and the maps were larger, but it was hardly more complicated than Ace Combat 5 (the individual operations were nice, but this was purely orginizational so you won't get lost on the larger maps) and the plot was extremely straight forward with much less effort put into it.

Every character was ancillary to what was going on and the way the plot cut to and from various, seemingly random people, some of them civilians, no less (and Matilda's mother was nothing but annoying with her constant "I had no idea this was what war is like!" attitude in everything she says, and oh god, no, I don't want to "go dance with the angels," shut up,) was just terribly fracturing. It wasn't nearly as epic as The Unsung War or The Belkan War, and the latter still managed to outdo it while only having one wingman and less plot presented than AC5.

HAWX is hardly rubbish just from these trailers. Ace Combat 6 looked good, but this is clearly graphically superior, especially the detail in the urban areas. The fact that they're at least trying to innovate some new gameplay into the genre has me sold on it. Even if it doesn't work, at least it'll light a fire under Project Aces' ass so Ace Combat 7 will live up to The Unsung War.

Also, going from this...

I'm releasing a new air combat movie from our upcoming game next week. Wait'll you see it. Then compare to this rubbish. It is quite clear the their Bucharest (or was it Budapest) studio is cheaper to operate than their North American one. So this is the result.

...immediately to this...

Take a game. Any game. Smack Tom Clancy's name on it. Sell it. Watch the Lemmings come.

...is kinda funny, but I'll refrain from putting a strikethrough in Tom Clancy's name and replacing it with someone else.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 20:15.

10. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 19:57  dsmart 

Now now Derek, don't be hatting on the pretty games

But seriously, how can that even be compared to the excellent Ace Combat 6? Better yet, who exactly is this game targeted at?

I don't see ANYTHING inspiring about it.

I'm releasing a new air combat movie from our upcoming game next week. Wait'll you see it. Then compare to this rubbish. It is quite clear the their Bucharest (or was it Budapest) studio is cheaper to operate than their North American one. So this is the result.

Take a game. Any game. Smack Tom Clancy's name on it. Sell it. Watch the Lemmings come.

9. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 19:46 Lord Tea

probably the most unrealistic combat "simulation" ever...

I'll pass.

UPSA = United Police States of America

8. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 19:18 Dr. D. Schreber

Tom Clancy's Ace Combat

Tom Clancy's "I wish."

7. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 18:35 The Half Elf

Now now Derek, don't be hatting on the pretty games

Still rather have Crimson Skies 2.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 18:29  dsmart 

That.looks.rubbish.  

5. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 14:41 Hump

Tom Clancy's Ace Combat  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 14:19 Wildone

yea I know..I'll prob buy this unless it gets really bad reviews.  

3. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 14:01 StingingVelvet

It does look good, from a visual standpoint. Look Im a 'simmer' but I bought Ace Combat 3..it did a lot of things that sim makers often overlook, but can add a lot to the FEEL of it..like when you pull hard
G's getting that pressure cloud on the wings, nice contrails, excellent clouds & smoke..the air felt 'thick'. But the gameplay SUCKED..absolutely no depth. Is it really too much to ask to have a LITTLE bit of depth in the game aside from choosing a Slow/Medium/Fast plane?

For arcade gamers, yes it is. Whenever these companies try to find a middle-ground they don't make anyone happy, so they cater to the arcade crowd because of their higher numbers. There are sim dedicated games as well, but they don't look good due to smaller budgets.

Unfortunately this paradigm speads across all genres, as my hardcore RPG loving self can attest.

2. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 13:47 Wildone

It does look good, from a visual standpoint. Look Im a 'simmer' but I bought Ace Combat 3..it did a lot of things that sim makers often overlook, but can add a lot to the FEEL of it..like when you pull hard
G's getting that pressure cloud on the wings, nice contrails, excellent clouds & smoke..the air felt 'thick'. But the gameplay SUCKED..absolutely no depth. Is it really too much to ask to have a LITTLE bit of depth in the game aside from choosing a Slow/Medium/Fast plane?

1. Re: H.A.W.X. Movies Jan 22, 2009, 13:40 StingingVelvet

It looks very good, and should look amazing maxed on a PC. It's very arcadey though, and I would warn sim-inclined gamers to keep walking.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo