Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo

The F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin demo is now available, offering the promised sample of Monolith's horror-themed first-person shooter sequel. The demo hasn't shown up on the official website yet, but the 1.76 GB download can be found on 4players.de, AtomicGamer, AusGamers Files, ComputerGames.ro, eXp Download, FanGaming, Gamer's Hell, and Games On Net.

View
133 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

133. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 30, 2009, 01:22 Beamer

I used to watch DVDs on my computer often, too, and DVDs look terrible on most monitors. Far to much bleed through the blacks, particularly in the top middle and bottom middle. There's still no comparison to a CRT.

As for the HL2 discussion, I consider HL one of gaming's pinacles, and one of the few games to hold up over time (not to start a major debate, but I think that, while games have artistic qualities, something isn't fully art unless it is timeless. Few games can claim they even last more than 5 years. Some...)
HL2, at release, didn't make me feel as warm and fuzzy inside. The faces are still the best in the industry, years later, but the combat felt off. The guns were iffy and the AI was weak. Too often it felt like whack-a-mole.
I really dug the vehicles, though, and many of the sequences.

If HL was a 10/10, HL2 was a 9.2. It had some gameplay weaknesses, and there were times that I kinda felt like it was a chore, but overall I thought they hit new levels of immersion, of presentation, and the gameplay at its best was amazing.
HL2:E1 was too much stupid zombies, then helping stupid people run across a trainyard. 7/10. Tops. It just took the bad and made it worse.
HL2:E2, for some reason, was entirely different for me and far better than HL2. I really, really enjoyed this.
I should play through them all again soon. When I finish Painkiller... (which I'm only plugging away at 15 minutes a day.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

132. Re: Finally played it. Jan 29, 2009, 17:59 Sepharo

But Beamer the XS2450BB-X9 LCD has black levels that destroy your old outdated ancient CRT!

You are a fool for suggesting CRT is better in any way shape or form then this awesome LCD!

WIDESCREEN!

131. Re: Finally played it. Jan 29, 2009, 09:55 Beamer

Late to the party but:

1) No mouse4 and mouse5 is damaging. I felt the original game needed too many buttons, and it was the first (and only) FPS that made me use mouse4 and mouse5 regularly. Bleh.

2) I still game on a CRT. I have an LCD next to it, dual monitors are so much better than just one widescreen, but the CRT will be pried out of my cold, dead hands. Yes, LCDs are now much better for gaming than four years ago, but my CRT still gives me monstrously better black levels. There's still no comparison.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

130. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 28, 2009, 20:45 theyarecomingforyou

Hmmm... it's showing up at 25 now, instead of 35 when it was first launched. That puts it the same price as retail, which means I may consider it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

129. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 28, 2009, 05:02 Jackplug

I thought the 1st Fear was brilliant, Fear 2 however i think is far too samey for me to bother..  

128. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 27, 2009, 02:30 Sepharo

HOWARD JOHNSON IS RIGHT!  

127. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 23:58 vrok

You are the one that can't correlate level design to variety of level design, or Character writing to Story writing.
I can, but discussing in such wide and ultimately simple terms is meaningless as nothing can ever come from it other than "I experienced it as great", "no way I experienced it as sucking". These things need to be broken down to try to approach their quality more objectively. That's why I separated the concepts in the first place. To discuss the design. Not the end consumer experience which is apparently the only thing you know and care about and makes for a pretty damn useless discussion. If you're not interested, why do you bother posting about it?

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 00:14.

126. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 18:05 Krovven

HL2 had extremely unique rooms in every building you went to and the Citadel didn't at all look samey samey everywhere you went. Also, the boat levels never happened. Facts in the world of Dagok.

The Citadel was one section of the game. But they made the main arena's in the Citadel all different and unique with puzzles to figure out. Again, the boat levels were one section of the game...and you frequently got off the boat and went into indoor areas to open gates, etc, which broke those levels up.

The whole game of FEAR was one office after another, up some stairs, more offices, up more stairs, more offices...on and on and on. They all looked the same, much of the layouts made absolutely no sense when it came to building design. Again...talking about the whole game here, not just one section of the game.

No point in me repeating myself since you're just selectively quoting and ignoring the rest. Let me know when you've seen better designed office levels in a game and stop confusing different issues with each other.

I've already explained how the office levels in FEAR were of bad design quality. The fact that you chose to ignore this and are asking me to repeat myself, means you shouldn't be the one pointing fingers regarding selective quoting.

Let me know when you've seen better designed office levels in a game and stop confusing different issues with each other.

Im not the one confused. You are the one that can't correlate level design to variety of level design, or Character writing to Story writing.

125. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 17:33 theyarecomingforyou

In any case, a freeform lean system is still more flexible
Indeed. I was just pointing out that the Killzone 2 system looks the best I've seen to date. I wasn't claiming it was perfect.

Well, first you have to press a button to snap to cover. Then you have to press the analog stick to actually lean. So you really end up pressing two things to lean.
Well, you apply a modifier to your movement - that way it's a button to lean, instead of two. Also, by making it a modifier you can get flexibility over how much you lean (mouse of stick), whereas a button gives you a fixed angle.

I guess. I'm more interested in functionality than presentation and freeform leaning provides a lot more functionality because it lets me lean wherever I want.
Of course, but it's one of the aspects that makes the experience more engaging. As I said, I believe we need a real overhaul in how first person shooters work. Games are currently built upon the backs of others and few developers have actually tried to change things - Valve did with HL2 (facial animations, eye movement, body language, physics, excellent voice acting) and Far Cry 2 did (fire, health, diamonds, first-person vehicles, open-world) but we need a LOT more than that.

124. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 17:16 vrok

Actually I read just fine.

Apparently not. No point in me repeating myself since you're just selectively quoting and ignoring the rest. Let me know when you've seen better designed office levels in a game and stop confusing different issues with each other.

HL2 had extremely unique rooms in every building you went to and the Citadel didn't at all look samey samey everywhere you went. Also, the boat levels never happened. Facts in the world of Dagok.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 17:32.

123. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 17:09 Jerykk

I was just trying it out in Clear Sky, Deus Ex and Call Of Duty 4. None of them I'd use during conventional gameplay.

I guess it's just a matter of preference. I use lean heavily in any game that offers it. When I played through CoD4 on Veteran, I really needed to use it because enemies had 99% accuracy and I couldn't take many hits before dying.

Firstly, such a trigger may be default for surfaces. Secondly, surfaces have clipping properties to stop you walking through them - the game could simply use that to determine whether you can lean against it.

Potentially, yes, but I'm pretty sure that can cause a lot of issues with clipping and such. We'll have to see how it's implemented in KZ2. In any case, a freeform lean system is still more flexible and easier to implement.

Attaching to surfaces means you don't have to judge how far you need to approach the wall

Yeah you do. You need to know when you're within the trigger range. Freeform leaning means you can lean anywhere, anytime.

it's also easier to achieve because it's a single button, versus one for each direction;

Well, first you have to press a button to snap to cover. Then you have to press the analog stick to actually lean. So you really end up pressing two things to lean.

Most importantly it looks fluid, which is simply lacking in most PC games. The movement of the camera when reloading, running, firing and so on is very fluid - it responds to the tasks you're doing instead of being rigid.

I guess. I'm more interested in functionality than presentation and freeform leaning provides a lot more functionality because it lets me lean wherever I want.

Your point was that consoles are responsible for the lack of lean in PC games. My point is that it's simply a development choice, as multi-platform games like COD4 can do it.

I agree that it is a design choice. However, design choices are largely dictated by the platforms the games are designed for. Since consoles are the primary platforms for most shooters these days, the design choices are catered towards consoles. In the case of CoD4, IW went above and beyond by adding functionality to the PC version. They realized that leaning is a standard of PC shooters so they added it to the PC version. Unfortunately, most PC ports don't get this kind of consideration.

122. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 17:00 Krovven

You forgot to read the rest of the paragraph. No, by far the #1 complaint was the lack of variation in level design, you're just confused.

Actually I read just fine. But again you can't seem to comprehend that lack of variety for level design IS part of level design. Your argument is pathetic. But to step aside from that, the levels that were there, were largely made up of bland rooms that all look the same, one after another, over and over, each connected by another empty hallway with the same textures and no entities.

If that was indeed the case the majority of HL2 and every other FPS that features corridor shooting aka linear levels would be suffering from shitty level design

That's kind of the point. They don't, and certainly not HL2.

which certainly might be the case but isn't what was complained about.

Google "FEAR bad level design. 5.5 million hits from Reviews, user comments, etc, etc. Just to add, because I'm sure you'll attack the nature of the search...I realize not all 5.5 million are in reference to the game having bad level design. But looking through the first few pages of hits, it's full of comments like 'FEAR was bogged down by bad level design'.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 17:07.

121. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:59 vrok

It's pointless leaning in the open, whereas crouching isn't.
It's not pointless to lean when standing 1 meter from cover if the enemy is on the other side of the cover and is only visible when leaning.

Even from a gameplay perspective I'd say those games are weaker.
Do you have any arguments to go with that? If not, I have nothing to do but respond with "LOL" in return.

The plasmids also gave the game a new dynamic.
Ever played a game called Deus Ex? Tron 2.0? Nothing new about it.

Yup. I was just trying it out in Clear Sky, Deus Ex and Call Of Duty 4. None of them I'd use during conventional gameplay. NEway, it's not hype to look at a video, see that it does something better and then praise it.
That's your opinion. My opinion after looking at the exact same video is that I can't see how it's better in any way at all. It seems exactly the same as when I'd lean camp in CoD4 only less versatile because of the distance issue. If CoD4 had lean toggle instead of being forced to hold the button, would you still feel the same way? I doubt it.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 17:18.

120. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:43 vrok

You were the one that started mouthing off about the characters of HL2.
Ah, so all this is a nerdraging fanboy response? Makes sense.

Maybe you should have just kept your mouth shut if you don't want to discuss it. Characters are part of the writing, they don't work without the Story, the story doesn't work without the characters.
Not my fault if you can't read. I've explained more than once how I rate story/characters/whatever that isn't gameplay vs actual gameplay in an FPS.

It certainly did. It was probably the #1 complaint across the board.
You forgot to read the rest of the paragraph. No, by far the #1 complaint was the lack of variation in level design, you're just confused. If that was indeed the case the majority of HL2 and every other FPS that features corridor shooting aka linear levels would be suffering from shitty level design, which certainly might be the case but isn't what was complained about. Maybe your reading (dis)ability when slightly agitated might have something to do with that? I don't know.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 16:59.

119. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:33 theyarecomingforyou

Is it just me or does vrok sound like Jerykk?
Nah. For all our disagreements Jerykk is at least reasonable for the most part, even if I fundamentally disagree with some of his arguments. vrok simply goes around trying to bait everyone into a fight.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 16:34.

118. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:31 theyarecomingforyou

The point is that you don't have to hug the cover in order to use it as cover with a free lean system. Just like you can crouch while still still being 1 meter away from the actual sandbag or whatever and still take advantage of it, depending on the angle of course.
It's pointless leaning in the open, whereas crouching isn't.

Again with the story bullshit.
lol. Even from a gameplay perspective I'd say those games are weaker.

No, but I don't allow mainstream media to tell me what to think.
lol. Go you.

Another example of that would be Bioshock. To me it's consolized and awful. To the gaming media it's the second coming of christ, even though it does nothing new and is little more than a severely dumbed down System Shock 2 with the worst hacking mini-game ever conceived.
It delivered a compelling story in an effective manner, with very stylised environments that felt very fresh. The plasmids also gave the game a new dynamic. It had its problems but it was a strong game, one that captured the imagination of players (much like Half-Life has) - that's why there are already two confirmed sequels and a movie on the way.

Have you seen better office levels in any other game?
"Better"? What other games feature offices? Not many. Left 4 Dead did well but that's to be expected being so much more recent.

No. That's hype talking. We're looking at the same video. Have you even played a PC shooter with lean and used it personally?
Yup. I was just trying it out in Clear Sky, Deus Ex and Call Of Duty 4. None of them I'd use during conventional gameplay. NEway, it's not hype to look at a video, see that it does something better and then praise it.

If you have to attach to a surface before you can lean, a trigger has to be added to that surface by the level designer.
Firstly, such a trigger may be default for surfaces. Secondly, surfaces have clipping properties to stop you walking through them - the game could simply use that to determine whether you can lean against it.

I didn't really see anything special.
Attaching to surfaces means you don't have to judge how far you need to approach the wall (afterall, in real-life you know exactly how wide your body is and how to look around a corner) - it's also easier to achieve because it's a single button, versus one for each direction; it's more intuitive (it should be a button modifier just like crouch, as there's no need to have duplicate movement button when you already have left and right movement keys). Most importantly it looks fluid, which is simply lacking in most PC games. The movement of the camera when reloading, running, firing and so on is very fluid - it responds to the tasks you're doing instead of being rigid.

What? That doesn't make any sense at all. Infinity Ward added lean to the PC version of CoD4 because leaning is a PC standard and the PC control scheme makes it easy to implement. They didn't put lean in the console versions because it's not a console standard and it's much harder to implement with gamepad limitations.
Your point was that consoles are responsible for the lack of lean in PC games. My point is that it's simply a development choice, as multi-platform games like COD4 can do it.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 16:31.

117. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:30 Krovven

Another example of that would be Bioshock. To me it's consolized and awful. To the gaming media it's the second coming of christ, even though it has terrible shooter gameplay, does nothing new and is little more than a severely dumbed down System Shock 2 with the worst hacking mini-game ever conceived.

Is it just me or does vrok sound like Jerykk?

To the gaming media

Actually to A LOT of people (not just media) it was an excellent game, solid story (that fell apart near the end), great atmosphere, and fun gameplay. But like I said before...your list of examples doesn't exactly read like someone that knows what they are talking about.

116. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:25 Krovven

No, but I don't allow mainstream media to tell me what to think. I form my own opinion.

Doesn't mean your opinion is accurate or even based on anything of substance. In fact from what I can tell all you do is talk out your ass and have no real insight in what actually makes a good gaming experience.

Again with the story bullshit.

You were the one that started mouthing off about the characters of HL2. Maybe you should have just kept your mouth shut if you don't want to discuss it. Characters are part of the writing, they don't work without the Story, the story doesn't work without the characters.

But we've already established that you don't have a fucking clue, so I understand why I need to explain it again.

FEAR most certainly did not have shitty level design.

It certainly did. It was probably the #1 complaint across the board. Just because your shitty tastes make you think the level design was good, doesn't make it so.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 16:27.

115. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 16:00 vrok

LOL, so now you think you know more than everyone else about game design?

No, but I don't allow mainstream media to tell me what to think. I form my own opinion. Another example of that would be Bioshock. To me it's consolized and awful. To the gaming media it's the second coming of christ, even though it has terrible shooter gameplay, does nothing new and is little more than a severely dumbed down System Shock 2 with the worst hacking mini-game ever conceived.

FEAR, Quake 2, Quake 4 and Crysis & Crysis Warhead as your examples? FEAR had shit level design, and a very predictable story that wasn't engaging at all. Quake 2...talk about pathetic story. Quake 4 was garbage all around, and had a SP game barely worth playing. Crysis was weak, and the perfect example of the "standard save-the-world-while-killing-thousands-of-bad-guys-AGAIN-story" that you want trash on HL2 for.

Again with the story bullshit. Didn't I already make it clear enough several times that when it comes to FPSes, I care about the gameplay? Allow me to say it again, if the gameplay is up to snuff I don't give a rats ass about the characters or story. I specifically wrote further down that only about 4 hours of Crysis and Warhead were worth playing, but that those parts had way better gameplay. Does that imply that I played them for their stories? Since I play lots of RPGs and adventure games I get better stories elsewhere anyway. Do you understand now or do I have to draw you a picture? Until you can criticize their gameplay you have nothing.

Also, FEAR most certainly did not have shitty level design. Have you seen better office levels in any other game? I certainly haven't. It wasn't *varied* level design, but what was there was great for what it was.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 16:20.

114. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 26, 2009, 15:59 Jerykk

So? Your point was that consoles were the reason that developer didn't include lean in multi-platform PC games - that demonstrates the opposite.

What? That doesn't make any sense at all. Infinity Ward added lean to the PC version of CoD4 because leaning is a PC standard and the PC control scheme makes it easy to implement. They didn't put lean in the console versions because it's not a console standard and it's much harder to implement with gamepad limitations.

Well, leaning in the open is completely pointless and there's no reason to believe it doesn't apply to all surfaces, not specifically to specially flagged surfaces.

If you have to attach to a surface before you can lean, a trigger has to be added to that surface by the level designer. I highly doubt that the designers are going to add triggers to every single piece of potential cover in the game. It's much more likely that they'll just add it to the most obvious pieces of cover, like any other game with a cover system. With traditional, freeform leaning, you can lean from behind any object and you don't need any triggers.

The quality of lean from that video is better than we've seen in any PC game.

I didn't really see anything special. He leaned from behind cover. It looked the same as any other leaning implementation.

133 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo