Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned

The Dawn Of War 2 Community Site has an internal Q&A about the release of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, explaining, among other things, how a game can enter beta testing after it goes gold, going on to offer further details on the beta. A semi-related point is that they have already cooked up a day zero patch with "improvements to the game based on early feedback to ensure fans get the best possible experience." Looking at the long term, they have: "planned scheduled patches and data updates through 2009 and beyond." They also say they plan to release a pair of additional multiplayer maps for the RTS sequel within a week of its launch. Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 21, 2009, 01:03 bigspender

great so i buy the fucking game install it, and then spend 2 hrs getting a fucking patch. ffs.

that just doesn't say " quality " to me

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 18:52 verybad

So basically, DoW2 uses a heavily, heavily modified version of the Impossible Creature's engine.

Nope. That was DOW1. DOW2 uses a version of the essence engine, which was built from scratch after DoW1.

16. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 16:33 Kosumo

Sell could sell you my old TNT2 if you're being credit crunched Shifty  

15. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 16:05 SpectralMeat

I'll just go and get one of those GTX295's to be safe then Devilish  

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 16:00 Jerykk

So basically, DoW2 uses a heavily, heavily modified version of the Impossible Creature's engine.  

13. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 15:46 Krovven

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2004/12/02/warhammer_40000_dawn_of_war_developer_qanda/1

We're using a heavily modified version of the graphics engine used in Impossible Creatures, which was a custom engine made for the TNT/TNT2 generation of video cards. The engine has been enhanced to make use of Hardware Transform and Lighting, and the higher throughput of more recent cards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence_Engine

Essence Engine is a game engine developed by Relic Entertainment for the PC Video Game Company of Heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_War_2

Dawn of War II will use an updated version of the Essence Engine (Essence Engine 2.0). Essence Engine 1.0 was used to power Relic's World War II real-time strategy game Company of Heroes and its two expansion packs Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor.

12. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 15:32 Ventura

It uses the CoH engine so if you can run CoH well, you can probably run DoW2 well.

And wasn't the CoH engine really just a more advanced version of the original DoW engine?

It would be nice if the engine has again improved this significantly for DoW2.

11. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 15:00 SpectralMeat

It uses the CoH engine so if you can run CoH well, you can probably run DoW2 well.

Thanks

10. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 14:58 Ray Ban

My guess is the premium content will consist of special badges and colors and so on, i.e. WH40K fluff. I also think they will bring over the excellent solution from Company of Heroes, where both those who bought the OF expansion and those who didn't, could play together.  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

9. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 14:58 Jerykk

I am looking to upgrade my video card and I am curious if this game could be the excuse why to do it?

8. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 14:36 SpectralMeat

I am looking forward to play this game also. Does anyone know any requirements for this game? I am looking to upgrade my video card and I am curious if this game could be the excuse why to do it?  

7. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 12:59 Tumbler

Can't wait to play this. I loved all the extra content and work that stardock put into Galactic Civ2, I'm happy to see another company taking the same road.

And I couldn't be happier that DoW2 will be the beneficiary.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 12:37 Overon

In that q&a I have one concern:
As for post-launch plans, we are extremely interested in working with Microsoft to offer several types of free and premium downloadable content through their Games for Windows - LIVE Marketplace.
I'm afraid the pay for content is going to split the commmunity into people who can play together who have the premium content and those who cannot. And I remember dawn of war and expansions and I remember relic's bad patching process so it's hard to keep them at their word.

5. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 11:40 siapnar

Now I am completely assured that this system they have for release and patching is a good one.
I'm glad Relic took the time to clear up a few unanswered questions about the way they are doing things.

Other devs need to follow this example of quality as well as disclosure about development cycle.

EDIT: wonder how big the beta will be? Sorry if that's been covered
EDIT: nvm, it's in the Q&A. "3) What can you tell us about the content of the beta?"

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2009, 11:43.

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 11:23 Overon

It's as if they answered all my questions. They are definitely doing a good job of addressing the comments made. But we will see the shape the game is in when it's released and the day 1 patch.  

3. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 11:22 Kamakazie

Makes sense to me. The game is good to go, but they're putting out a public beta now to get customer feedback and fix any issues they didn't catch internally by the time the game is on store shelves. This is a good move as most companies don't even do demos let alone fully-featured multiplayer betas.  

2. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 11:09 Krovven

Is it just me?

Just you.

This is no different than what any other developer does and shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. They have a month between the game going off for duplication and the game hitting the streets. Do you think they just sit by and wait and not continue to work on the game?

1. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 11:02 Slashman

Ok...that just seems messed up.

Its not out of beta...but they are patching it based on beta feedback...but its gone gold.

Is it just me? Or does that not make sense to other people too?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo