Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameTap Free Game Cutbacks

The GameTap Blog announces a large number of games will be removed from their library of free offerings as of Thursday, at which time one of their paid "Gold" memberships will be required for continued access. Their reasoning is this: "As many of you know, over the past year or so we’ve released well over one hundred games for free, in order to entice people to sample what GameTap has to offer and, hopefully, subscribe to our service. This strategy has worked incredibly well for us, and now we’re ready to move on." This leads to a pitch to subscribe, but they offer the following outlook for penny-pinchers: "If you can’t afford that, don’t worry, we’ve still got quite a few games for you to try out. Not only are we keeping over 40 games around for you, we’ll also continue to entice you with weekly samplers - full, free games you can play for one week only. Going into the future, these games include Sid Meier’s Pirates!, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, X-Com: UFO Defense, and many more we have not yet announced. You can guarantee that a lot of the games we’re removing will make brief appearances in the future!" Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

View
10. Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Jan 19, 2009, 17:53 Ray Marden

Aye. I realize the uphill battle the company has, but I really wish it would rework its pricing structure somehow - having more of the "good" stuff go free more frequently, have plans for certain genres, and have a much better high end platform.

There are a few gems in there, but any real gamer already owns them, to say nothing of playing them to death. Likewise, a lot of the free stuff really does suck outright, doesn't hold up, or is better done elsewhere. I would love to see some genres blown wide open, letting me play the "B" games that I thought were interesting, but I would never purchase, or pay a premium rate to have access to more current, mainstream content. Or what about some cheap purchase option for the really dead titles?

It's a good deal for, oh, twice a year simply to catch up on Sam and Max or burn through the single game that interests me, but the current system cannot hold my attention on a monthly basis.
Meanwhile, I'll gladly pay $15/month to Blizzard...
Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 19, 11:41 Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Tumbler
  2. Jan 19, 11:48  Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Deathbishop
  4. Jan 19, 13:01  Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Kxmode
  5. Jan 19, 13:22  Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Kedyn
>> 10. Jan 19, 17:53  Re: GameTap Free Game Cutbacks Ray Marden