Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Dawn of War II

Warhammer 40,000- Dawn of War II Goes Gold announces the completion of development of Relic's 41st millennium RTS sequel, which is scheduled to rush US store shelves on February 19. Here's a portion of the press release:

Set in the grim, war-ravaged world of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 science fiction universe, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II delivers visceral combat, stunning visuals, and destructible environments throughout a non-linear single-player experience as well as a fully cooperative multiplayer campaign via Microsoft's free Games for Windows - LIVE service.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II transports players into Games Workshop's vast Warhammer 40,000 universe, where an intergalactic war between ancient races has raged on for countless millennia. Featuring vicious front-line combat, destructible environments, a fully cooperative multiplayer mode, four unique playable races and a non-linear single-player campaign with branching storylines, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II delivers the ultimate sci-fi fantasy RTS experience. Disposable units will become a thing of the past as gamers feel the intimate brutality of war and develop a personal connection with fully customizable squads. For more information on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, please visit http://www.dawnofwar2.com.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 20, 2009, 11:23 Creston

And didn't everyone used to all bitch about games shipping as beta? Seems like Relic is being forgiven for that for some reason.

I think there's a big difference between a game shipping with critical game bugs, missions that simply won't finish, savegames that get deleted etc, and a game that ships in stable condition that requires more balancing to get the multiplayer perfect.

Since I don't really give a crap about the multiplayer anyways, as long as the single player has been tested out the wazoo and is stable and playable, I'm fine with this. I'd rather get the single player in a month than have to wait three more months for multiplayer balance fixes that I don't care about.

If the game turns out to be unstable and in poor condition, Relic is going to get hammered too.

However, imo, their previous releases have been perfectly stable.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 20, 2009, 09:27 Overon

Good points, we will see the shape of the game when it's released.  

36. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 20, 2009, 01:23 Jerykk

All strategy games inevitably receive balance patches after release. It's unavoidable because players will always discover new tactics or exploits that unbalance the game.  

35. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 20, 2009, 01:00 Warskull

And didn't everyone used to all bitch about games shipping as beta? Seems like Relic is being forgiven for that for some reason.

They've stated before that the game is basically finished. All units are in, the entire single player is finished, the upcoming multiplayer beta is primarily for multiplayer balance testing. Tweaking some numbers once the game hits release doesn't seem like "beta product."

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2009, 01:01.

34. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 23:15 siapnar

Maybe it's cause we're all already convinced that DoW2 will be great no matter what :p

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2009, 23:15.

I have projectile dysfunction.

33. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 22:38 Reikon

Technically the release code on the CD will be beta, yes. If you HAVE to log in to GfWL just to play the game, it will (presumably) autopatch on first login, at which point you'd be playing the up to date code.

32. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 22:22 Creston

They haven't even started the public beta, so it looks like the release code will be a beta.

Technically the release code on the CD will be beta, yes. If you HAVE to log in to GfWL just to play the game, it will (presumably) autopatch on first login, at which point you'd be playing the up to date code.

That just sucks for people with shitty connections, like me. Nothing like having to download 500 MB of patch before you can play

(And yes, that's a completely arbitrary number.)

Creston

31. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 22:18 Creston

Woot! Still a month away, but I still have 6 cheapo games left to play, so oh well.

Creston

30. Re: i hope details are listed in-game Jan 19, 2009, 22:02 Overon

Company of Heroes has so many undocumented aspects to the game that are vital to competitive play that you *have* to visit fansites like coh-stats.com to get the info you need. It's frustrating. When I play a Blizzard RTS, pretty much all the info I need is right there in the game as I play. But not so in COH. Relic really seems to think that the less game numbers you see, the better. I hope DOW2 changes that, because unless Relic somehow locks down the game numbers so no one can see them no matter what, competitive players are going to be digging for those numbers anyway...

In COH..
-vehicles can receive significant cover bonuses just like infantry can, but the game does not indicate this while you play at all. Infantry get a little "in cover" icon, but vehicles don't. Weird.

-There are numerous differences in unit stats or abilities that aren't described at all in-game. Repair and Overrepair are two different kinds of repair but the player is in the dark about the actual stat difference between the two. Some troop types capture points 50% faster than other types, but it's not documented anywhere in-game. Health differences, accuracy at different ranges, how accurate something is while moving... also goes unlisted. I just read at Coh-stats.com that the British tank is far less accurate on the move than other tanks in the game. Would've liked to have known that without having to visit a fansite. How much does the Hull Down ability help? Gotta look on Coh-stats again.

- Machine guns suppress and pin infantry, but the game doesn't tell you that once a squad is pinned, it becomes highly resistant to further MG fire. Intuition and RTS experience would usually tell you that a machine gunner shooting at a bunch of inert people lying down on the floor directly in front of him, with no cover in sight, would thus be in a "shooting gallery" situation. Easy kills, right? Nope. Harder!

- How does XP work? Do I only need to keep one squad member alive to maintain XP (yes, but the game doesn't tell you, better hit the forums!).

..and so on.
Oh I know this pain very well. All that kind of stuff should be documented.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2009, 22:06.

29. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 18:43 theyarecomingforyou

It does look questionable to say a game has gone gold when the MP open beta has not yet started. It could be foreshadowing the quality of the initial release. I remember all the dawn of war and expansion patching fiascos. How long it took to release patches for glaring issues that broke multiplayer and I do not wish to see it repeated.
Indeed. And because it uses GfWL that means all patches have to be approved by Microsoft, which took about a week with GTA4 - that means the tiniest of bugs can hold things up significantly.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 18:30 siapnar

They haven't even started the public beta, so it looks like the release code will be a beta.

Yeah, the fact that the open beta comes out after the retail game is going gold does not instill much confidence.
Maybe they plan on using the open beta to get suggestions for the first patch.
Either way, they've got a pretty fucked up order of doing things, and have let us know pretty blatantly.

Still, I love DoW and will no doubt love this one too.

I have projectile dysfunction.

27. i hope details are listed in-game Jan 19, 2009, 18:09 Charlie_Six

Company of Heroes has so many undocumented aspects to the game that are vital to competitive play that you *have* to visit fansites like coh-stats.com to get the info you need. It's frustrating. When I play a Blizzard RTS, pretty much all the info I need is right there in the game as I play. But not so in COH. Relic really seems to think that the less game numbers you see, the better. I hope DOW2 changes that, because unless Relic somehow locks down the game numbers so no one can see them no matter what, competitive players are going to be digging for those numbers anyway...

In COH..
-vehicles can receive significant cover bonuses just like infantry can, but the game does not indicate this while you play at all. Infantry get a little "in cover" icon, but vehicles don't. Weird.

-There are numerous differences in unit stats or abilities that aren't described at all in-game. Repair and Overrepair are two different kinds of repair but the player is in the dark about the actual stat difference between the two. Some troop types capture points 50% faster than other types, but it's not documented anywhere in-game. Health differences, accuracy at different ranges, how accurate something is while moving... also goes unlisted. I just read at Coh-stats.com that the British tank is far less accurate on the move than other tanks in the game. Would've liked to have known that without having to visit a fansite. How much does the Hull Down ability help? Gotta look on Coh-stats again.

- Machine guns suppress and pin infantry, but the game doesn't tell you that once a squad is pinned, it becomes highly resistant to further MG fire. Intuition and RTS experience would usually tell you that a machine gunner shooting at a bunch of inert people lying down on the floor directly in front of him, with no cover in sight, would thus be in a "shooting gallery" situation. Easy kills, right? Nope. Harder!

- How does XP work? Do I only need to keep one squad member alive to maintain XP (yes, but the game doesn't tell you, better hit the forums!).

..and so on.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

26. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 17:59 Overon

I'm keen to buy it as is just based on DoW and Relic and the fact that the lack of money the news papers is always on about, has yet to effected me.
I don't rush out and take risks with buying games simply to avoid the feeling I get when I make a bad purchase. The feeling of stupidity like someone has taken advantage of my ignorance. I don't want that feeling so I do some pre purchasing research, hence why I read reviews and forums. If I didn't get that feeling, I would not feel bad about getting a crappy $50 game.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2009, 17:59.

25. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 17:50 Kosumo

Fair enough, I did put the smile there to keep it light. My bad on the insult.

Hey, you are a long time internet user and a grown up, I'm sure you can make that right choice for you.

I'm keen to buy it as is just based on DoW and Relic and the fact that the lack of money the news papers is always on about, has yet to effected me. (although those who I get money of are murmeing budget cut backs. Worried )

24. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 17:43 Charlie_Six

Relic Online is god awful for me. At least 20% of games end at the beginning due to some sync error. Another 10% start but are far too laggy to actually play. Then I have problems where game results fail to register with the service, or register incorrectly. I can win a match and not get it confirmed.

I love Company of Heroes but Relic Online is an abomination.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

23. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 17:34 Overon

RE post 18, Because he would rather get his info from the fanboi and trolls of the forums; You know it will be fun watching them 'debate' teh 'facts'
Well that's insulting. It's not unreasonable to read complaints and if one sees the same complaints repeated over and over then it's quite reasonable to conclude they are legitimate.

It does look questionable to say a game has gone gold when the MP open beta has not yet started. It could be foreshadowing the quality of the initial release. I remember all the dawn of war and expansion patching fiascos. How long it took to release patches for glaring issues that broke multiplayer and I do not wish to see it repeated. So despite your post, I'm going to wait for the reviews and the "fanboi and trolls" on the forum because it's a reasonable thing to do.

22. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 17:25 Tumbler

Is GfWL a seperate program that gets loaded? Or a behind the scenes think like gamespy was in most games? I went to their website expecting to find a PC client to load and there doesn't appear to be anytyhing. So you can only see what the client is like by buying a game that uses Games for Windows Live? Don't they have other games like checkers and stuff like that? I was expecting the Xbox Live arcade titles to be for sale as well...  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 16:44 Reikon

20. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 16:10 Kosumo

RE post 18, Because he would rather get his info from the fanboi and trolls of the forums; You know it will be fun watching them 'debate' teh 'facts'

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2009, 16:11.

19. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 16:07 theyarecomingforyou

It's amusing that the biggest criticism of the game is GfWL. Unfortunately it is quite justified. My experience with GfWL has been very poor (GTA4, Kane & Lynch). However, I also understand that matchmaking is a big issue and Relic is at least trying to improve the system. I'd rather have seen them use Steam myself, though agree with Left 4 Dead highlighting some problems with the system - however, GfWL didn't do great with GTA4 either.

It's not a deal breaker for me. The GfWL interface itself is fine, it's just the implementation of features that lets it down.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo