Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Circuit City Closing

Circuit City to shut down remaining stores has the news that Circuit City is closing its remaining US stores and liquidating its assets, something many felt was inevitable even as the chain attempted to reorganize under bankruptcy protection. Word is: "About 30,000 employees face layoffs as the rest of its 567 stores are closed. The fates of outstanding warranties, its Firedog repair service, and Canadian stores are still to be determined, according to the company."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 17, 2009, 17:13 Kxmode

Almost makes me want to run off and join one of those whacko militias in some small town that refuse to pay tax in any way shape or form.

You mean like the amish?

LOL +1 Caveman

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 17, 2009, 15:23 dubfanatic

I don't believe it was the economy but rather poor, no make that very poor management, that brought down CC.

Poor management probably helped, but retail is getting destroyed right now. Circuit City isn't the only big-box retailer that has closed in the last few months, and it's not going to be the last.

25. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 17, 2009, 13:13 Windows2Apples

I don't believe it was the economy but rather poor, no make that very poor management, that brought down CC. At our Shreveport store customers were constantly confronted with the shrill beeps from a security system out of control. The store was dimly lit and often no cashiers available to process your purchase. You were routed to the returns cashier to make your purchase which of course made it a nightmare to get help with returns. For several years I called to complain only to get an assistant manager who never seemed to give a squat.

The last time I went to CC was the day before the announced closing, and literally had to put fingers in my ears to stay there the 5 minuted needed to find they were not carrying what I wanted. Its not the economy stupid but the stupid management that killed CC.

24. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 17, 2009, 11:19 Caveman

Almost makes me want to run off and join one of those whacko militias in some small town that refuse to pay tax in any way shape or form.

You mean like the amish?

23. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 17, 2009, 04:24 Cartman

Circuit City hasn't been price competitive in years and after what they did to their employees they deserve to be out of business.

And I wouldn't mind Best Buy going out of business either. They sell extended service warrantees they have no intention of honoring and their employees are braindead Walmart rejects.

I stick with Microcenter and Fry's for B&M purchases and the internet for everything else.

22. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 17, 2009, 02:53 Cutter

Radio Shack should have never gone away. That was the true geek's paradise. They just overextended themselves.

But still 30,000 people? Fuck, where's their bailout? Not like it was overpaid union assholes and suits in the auto industry, or grossly overpaid suits in the finacial markets. I fucking hate government so much sometimes. Almost makes me want to run off and join one of those whacko militias in some small town that refuse to pay tax in any way shape or form.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2009, 02:55.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

21. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 17, 2009, 02:24 Prez

Great. A monopoly for Best Buy, home of the mail-in rebate.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 16, 2009, 23:27 Creston

Well, after a LONG time on hold, it seems firedog is still honoring their already outstanding repairs, as I finally got a call back to say that the part shipped and they should come fix my TV next week.

Still, an extra 30,000 people on the streets isn't good, and now apart from Ultimate Electronics there really is no more competition for Best Buy, which just means they'll raise their prices.

Bah.

Creston

19. Re: Fuck dammit Jan 16, 2009, 22:27 Punisher

A friend of mine went to apply a few years back and they offered a ridiculously low wage, but it seems that this was ok because if there weren't any questions he was told to go play the video games and such.....So you're not far off.

When the pay is low, so is the quality of employee and then customer service suffers and it is all downhill from there. Many companies just don't realize it until it's too late and the people making these decisions are making big bucks which get bigger when they save money on wages, so even in a CC type case, they make out...

18. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2009, 22:24 Punisher

You better check first, when a store is closing, they don't always honor gift cards and such...  

17. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 21:48 Narf2029

Yeah heh, gotta watch that... friend of mine got some marked-down Macbook at CompUSA when it was closing down, but their "reduced" price was higher than everyone else's normal price... That liquidation thrived on people like her, who just see the words "sale" or "markdown" and jump.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

16. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 20:54 Nameless Again

You can no longer make internet purchases on their website but it does list a compendium of what went on and what's going on. Liquidation sales start as early as this Saturday so head to your nearest Circuit City and grab some killer deals!

Don't count on it. Last I had heard, the company that gouged everybody when CompUSA folded is handling the liquidation. Just be careful and peel back those price stickers, is all I'm saying.

15. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 20:22 Kxmode

I guess a few years ago their great business plan of firing all the knowledgeable workers paid off for them.

They had knowledgeable workers?

14. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 19:59 zodden

I guess a few years ago their great business plan of firing all the knowledgeable workers paid off for them.  

13. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 19:17 Prez

Not good just another sigh of the deep shit where all in.
Think your job is secure wait a year.

Thanks for cheering us up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 19:01 TangoBaker

My first thought was "Where will I buy my crappy overpriced monster cables and $30 service plans on $20 controllers" but then I realized that I've also been laid off as of Jan 30th so it shouldn't be a problem.

See, there's always a silver lining. A big, crappy silver lining.

11. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 18:36 Bone43

Not good just another sigh of the deep shit where all in.
Think your job is secure wait a year.

10. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 18:29 Kxmode

In other news: Best Buy Changes Name to Only Buy  

9. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 18:06 sponge

I oughta use this $10 CC gift card then.  

8. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 18:06 Caveman

That sucks, but serves them right, all those retail stores are overpriced and their return policies suck. Not to mention half the time I go into their stores they never have what I want in stock.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo