Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft's GetGameSmart

Microsoft announces the launch of GetGameSmart.com, a new initiative in partnership with a number of retailers to encourage families to collaborate on making wise entertainment choices: "It means developing healthy habits when it comes to playing video games, watching TV and surfing the Web. It's also about understanding online safety, setting screen time limits and making rules about what's OK and what's off limits. Take the Get Game Smart Family Challenge and we'll help you create a fun, balanced media environment in your home." More details are in this press release.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Honestly... Jan 15, 2009, 10:06 Bill Borre

Am I the only person who read that title as GetSmartGame? I was hoping for a game where I'd get to bag 99.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 22:57 Bluesfanboi

We are wondering what unique special talent the parent would have, but fail at everything else including parenting to have them qualify as an idiot-savant parent in your description.

The rain-man is an idiot-savant, 99% idiot, 1% numbers guy. So how are you applying that to the parent...1% [what magical thing] and 99% [presumably bad parent].

16. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 19:57 LittleMe

Is it more detrimental for a parent to learn as they go, or to be put in a constant state of doubt on their parental decision making by societal influences who continually inform that that they are doing it wrong?

The learning of parenting skills starts in childhood. Dysfunction is inherited in this way primarily as a form of social conditioning from parents, rather than society-at-large.

Yes there are books that can help a lot in parenting skills. Also practical experience as you point out can help too.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 18:25 PropheT

Something as important as parenting shouldn't just be left to trial and error.

What is it that makes you think that there's some sort of secret formula to parenting that you can learn in a classroom or from a book?

Is it more detrimental for a parent to learn as they go, or to be put in a constant state of doubt on their parental decision making by societal influences who continually inform that that they are doing it wrong?

14. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 18:15 Prez

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-idiot-savant.htm

Did I word something inappropriately? FYI, I'm referring to the parents not their kids.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 17:29 Sepharo

This is the kind of infantile initiative that will gain support and praise from today's idiot savant parent.

Wait... What?

12. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 16:51 briktal

No, people generally can't. People often take classes, lessons, ask other people for advice, etc. when they want to do something but don't know how or have trouble. Something as important as parenting shouldn't just be left to trial and error. A lot of parents of kids old enough to really start playing games probably didn't play games like we have today when they were younger, and their parents and peers likely don't have much experience dealing with it either. I don't really see the problems in having this resource available.  

11. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 15:46 Prez

This is the kind of infantile initiative that will gain support and praise from today's idiot savant parent. I remember the good old days, when parenting was the job of parents, and parents actually accepted the responsibility.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 15:15 Grounded

So gay

Can people not do anything for themselves anymore, including Parenting?

Jesus Christ. And we got 4 years of liberals shoving this shit down our throats now

9. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 15:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Bad parents will still be bad at enforcement of the rules, even if their kids signed this paper. They'll still have to make them sign it in the first place. Might be a good lesson for the kids about signing things they don't fully understand though. That could help them in the real world  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 14:41 LittleMe

That PACT thing is hilarious. Since when is it necessary to get your kid to sign some kind of agreement to obey the house rules? Even if you make them sign it (which you would have to do, it's not like there's any real incentive for them to do so), you still have to enforce it, which makes it pretty much the same as just laying down rules in the first place.

Maybe several reasons. For example, many parents don't make rules but still get angry when children don't read their minds to figure out what is not acceptable. Bad parents want to 'role play' as parents and expect the kid to play the role of child. Bad parents don't want to parent and to be lazy, they just expect the kid to 'be good' which is vague and difficult for the child.

The site is probably as much about avoiding bad parenting as it is about avoiding dysfunctional behavior in children.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 14:41.

7. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 14:29 Wowbagger_TIP

That PACT thing is hilarious. Since when is it necessary to get your kid to sign some kind of agreement to obey the house rules? Even if you make them sign it (which you would have to do, it's not like there's any real incentive for them to do so), you still have to enforce it, which makes it pretty much the same as just laying down rules in the first place.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 14:29.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 14:18 Cutter

None of this would be needed if parents just laid a beating on their brats once in a while.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Microsoft's GetGameSmart Jan 14, 2009, 14:01 Bluesfanboi

The cringe inducing photos on that home page, combined with the dubious over-arcing notion of the whole concept of Microsoft as a parenting aide-de-camp makes my stomach churn.  

4. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 13:52 LittleMe

To me this looks like Microsoft covering their ass as far as prospective law suits and also bad publicity. If under attack, they can respond with something like "We do try to protect our consumers with our GetGameSmart.com program. We realize there may be certain risks associated with compulsive web surfing, game playing and TV watching." blah blah blah.

This is so that if something like 60 Minutes tries to make a big huge scandal out of what MS sells, they can show some kind of effort to save face.

3. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 13:47 Wildone

the dangers of video games. When was the last time you heard of someone getting bludgeoned to death with a dvd box.  

2. Re: Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 13:46 Wildone

Will they have a little animated dog or skunk to help get the message across?! I hope so!  

1. Honestly... Jan 14, 2009, 12:55 The Half Elf

Most parents don't give a damn in any way shape or form. Same goes for family members, friends, relatives that will buy a child anything they want and won't give a damn about "making healthy decisions/choices in video games, watching TV and surfing the web".

And those that do have already taken steps to do so.

Spend the money on making a new Mechwarrior/Crimson Skies games.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo