Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Patch This Week

A post on the Steam Users' Forums says a patch for Left 4 Dead is expected this week, reflected in an email from Chet Faliszek saying the PC patch is separate from the Xbox 360 patch, and so it is Valve that accepts blame for tardiness in updating the Windows edition of the zombie shooter, rather than Microsoft. A follow-up on Shacknews confirms both the legitimacy of the email and the plan to release the patch this week. According to Faliszek: "Sadly Microsoft has nothing to do with the pc patch... that delay is all us. The PC and 360 will be patched independently not sure where people picked up that exploit/bug fixing was tied together. Only the DLC will be simultaneous. The problem on the PC side was a few large bugs affected other systems that we were going to rewrite on the pc so we ended up waiting to fix a whole class of bugs instead of just individual bugs. The patch should be out this week."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 14, 2009, 21:54 xXBatmanXx

Patches are out - and they are great.

http://www.halflife2.net/2009/01/14/major-left-4-dead-update-released/

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 21:55.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 19:13 Nate

I can't see playing L4D as much as I played TF2. However, its quite a fun game.

The Lobby system is aggravating. So don't use it, enable the console and then bring up the server browser. Its then easy to join a game of the right type, right number of players and a good ping.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 18:00 Free Mumra

"Yes. It was a little subtle so I'm sure many didn't notice it consciously. The other players would move in a stuttered/jerky movement. (TF2)"

That's a server-side problem. It's not inherent in the netcode.

17. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 15:39 Krovven

Not sure if it's for balance reasons or what, but maybe it should be something that the lobby owner can turn on/off. Of course if it didn't balance teams, then people would bitch about that too

It wasn't there initially, and yes some people would quit out, but it never took more than a couple minutes for the spot(s) to fill up from everyone doing Friends invites or just random people joining.

Now, you could be playing with friends (or even a random PUG) on a full server and it will start team switching, causing people to completely miss their turn as Survivor/Infected.

Considering this is supposed to be a Coop game, focused around playing with friends...the random team balance needs to stop.

I'm all for teams using the environment to their advantage, it's always been a part of FPS multiplayer games, and should be imo. But yes, there are some spots that are just too blatantly exploitable like the closet near the elevator, under the ramp etc, that do need to be adjusted.

16. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 15:24 Wowbagger_TIP

I slacked off in playing lately. It'll be nice when we can play VS games on the other two maps, and when we get some additional new campaigns. I don't really have any gaming friends, so I never really notice the team switching. Not sure if it's for balance reasons or what, but maybe it should be something that the lobby owner can turn on/off. Of course if it didn't balance teams, then people would bitch about that too

Thing that annoys me the most right now would be those few places where the survivor team can camp through a mini-showdown or final fight, like on the hospital roof where they can all huddle under the ramp and it's next to impossible to get to them. Or the little closet next to the elevator before that. So annoying.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 15:07 Jow

I'm in the camp of people who love the game, but I've had it for less than a month and I'm already starting to lose interest. Great concept, awesome execution, and some amazing work with the AI and music controllers, but I can't see it as a game that's going to keep me interested for more than a month or two.  

14. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 14:46 Bhruic

It's more of a love/hate relationship though, just like CS:S was to me. A lot of the time I hate playing it due to all the "BS" occurrences like the hitbox issues and area of effect damage of the boomer fluctuating. That or things like the smoker's tongue not latching onto people for no apparent reason make this game very frustrating.
The thing is, I keep going back to the game, it's that good.

I think that sums up my feelings as well (minus the CS:S part). I generally have fun when I'm playing, but too much BS and it really starts to lose its lustre.

I'd also like to see them modify the scoring system. I know the main focus of the game isn't on the score, but it's a pretty stupid system, really. Especially for the final levels.

Oh, and stop putting the "final" tank for Blood Harvest (I think it's that campaign) right by the APC. Even if everyone runs to the APC after beating the second tank, the "final" tank can almost always beat them there - makes it really hard to pull off a win.

13. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 13:23 siapnar

I absolutely love this game. I play it for at least 3 hours every night.
It's more of a love/hate relationship though, just like CS:S was to me. A lot of the time I hate playing it due to all the "BS" occurrences like the hitbox issues and area of effect damage of the boomer fluctuating. That or things like the smoker's tongue not latching onto people for no apparent reason make this game very frustrating.
The thing is, I keep going back to the game, it's that good.

As some of you guys stated below, the most annoying things to me right now are the automatic fall-off-the-edge-and-hold-on-for-dear-life when the ledge is 10 feet up, and the constant team swapping while both teams are full... that really irks me.

Of course, I'd like to see the other two maps enabled in versus, but the issues above need fixing first and foremost.

If you think about it though, people are playing this game like crazy in versus and there are only TWO out of the four campaigns. It's so addictive that those 2 campaigns don't get boring for us.

I have projectile dysfunction.

12. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 13:20 Krovven

The thing I hate the most right now is the constant team-switching the game seems to pull.

Damn I had forgotten about that problem. That was why I stopped playing before Christmas, well that at my Motherboard died so my comp was down.

But I remember getting so pissed off (and quitting) at the team switching me on each round that I was playing as a Survivor round after round in VS and never getting my turn as Infected.

11. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 13:10 Bhruic

Having said that, I am a bit shocked at how terrible the lobby system is. Hopefully this gets fixed post haste.

I can deal with the lobby system - I don't like it, but it's not completely unworkable. The thing I hate the most right now is the constant team-switching the game seems to pull. I like to get a team of friends together to play on one side, it seems like every single game we have to deal with players getting swapped around.

Actually, the thing I hate the most would have to be the so-called "rage quitters". It sucks getting through one or two levels only to have the entire other team leave. But while that's frustrating, I don't really think it's solvable - people don't tend to like playing when they are getting their butts kicked. The team-switching should be solvable - don't do it.

10. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 13:02 RP

For years I praised Valve's server browsers because they're minimalistic, functional, and extremely fast.

And then they release this console-land bullshit lobby system for L4D. What the fuck Valve?

9. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 12:44 Prez

L4D is my favorite game right now. A gun-toting survivor of a zombie apocalypse blowing away massive hordes of undead? Absolute gaming bliss for me.

Having said that, I am a bit shocked at how terrible the lobby system is. Hopefully this gets fixed post haste.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 12:35 Krovven

The netcode is fine, but people have bitched about Valves netcode since Half-Life, that won't change. The problem is when it's randomly choosing a server from a Lobby, you never know what kind of server you are joining, or if the server even has suitable pings for all players involved.

I haven't really played due to this frustration of not being able to choose your own server from a Lobby.

I canceled my server yesterday (will go down on the 18th) because I never play on it...because there is no way to join it from a Lobby setup. Until they provide this functionality, I probably won't play very much L4D.

7. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 11:43 LittleMe

Really? I played it from as soon as The Orange Box could be preordered and didn't notice any problems with the netcode.

Yes. It was a little subtle so I'm sure many didn't notice it consciously. The other players would move in a stuttered/jerky movement. (TF2)

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 11:10 xXBatmanXx

My biggest gripe is the ease of running through the maps.....need more maps and more VS play.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 10:54 theyarecomingforyou

Bad net code is one of my big peeves. TF2 had bad net code initially but it was fixed in a patch.
Really? I played it from as soon as The Orange Box could be preordered and didn't notice any problems with the netcode.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

4. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 10:35 LittleMe

Glad I didn't buy this game! Bad net code is one of my big peeves. TF2 had bad net code initially but it was fixed in a patch. Hopefully they'll fix l4d. Not like I'll buy the game at $50 though. Maybe $10.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 10:27 InBlack

Yeah the game has a lot of growing up pains, the netcode being the worst of them. Glad to hear a patch is coming finally at least. Hopefully it is not the first of many, but a good fix.

Having said that I still think this is the GOTY for 2008.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 10:32.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 10:14 theyarecomingforyou

Does this mean that matchmaking will now work? And does this mean servers won't lag when starting levels? And does this mean tanks won't just wander off the top of buildings and fall to their death? And does this mean reload animations won't break? And does this mean when clicking quick-match it won't tell you the server is full and will just try to connect to another match? And does this mean you won't suddenly start hanging off the edge of a building when you walk close to an edge that isn't far from the ground (with bots following immediately after)? And does this mean Versus mode will actually be balanced?

I love L4D but the matchmaking / netcode is really shocking and I frequently have to quit out and join another game. I don't play the game as often as I otherwise would because I spend too much time jumping servers until I find one that plays well - I have never had that problem with TF2. I really don't know why it's so hard to simply get the game to connect to servers with a low ping - and it's not just because people are from different locations because I've been put onto horrible servers with 3 computers on the same network.

I look forward to future updates and content additions, as hopefully they'll lift this game up to where it belongs.

PS - I really do love the game and everyone knows how much I bum Valve. These are just criticisms that I think need to be addressed.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 10:15.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

1. Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 10:02 Nameless Again

Yay. Now how about the SDK, Valve?  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo