Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The DVD drive in my Xbox 360 had been problematic for a while; sticking after opening part way. It finally stopped closing at all the other day, so while it will still work for downloadable games and media content, the system is useless for playing disc-based games anymore. The drive got flaky long enough ago that I probably could have had it fixed under warranty had I done so right away, but it started out as a minor thing, and the growing seriousness of the problem only became apparent more recently when it refused to open if it was closed with no disc inside, requiring the use of a paper clip in that little emergency pokey hole dealie (EPHD). Anyway, I replaced the unit with a hard drive-free arcade system, since I knew from my pal Devicer's experience with an RRODed system that I could just put the drive from the old system on the new one. Sure enough, this new Jasper-based unit was very happy with my old drive, and I had no DRM issues with downloaded games or content. Funny thing was, I did have to delete games installed from the hard drive and reinstall them to be able to play them from the drive. I'm guessing that's somehow related to preventing the play from hard drive feature being used to pirate games, but I can't figure out how.

Jasper-based Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Scriball.
Ninjas vs Pirates Tower Defense. When memes collide.
Links: Hack your brain.
Stories: I was a 48-year-old virgin until I won 8.5m on Lotto. Thanks Digg.
Rickey Henderson, Jim Rice elected to Hall of Fame.
Science: MDI AirPod Car. Thanks Cutter.
Media: Team Fortress 2 - The Syringe Mystery.
One man choral group performs the Legend of Zelda theme.
Dog vs. Caterpillar.
The Funnies: Geeked - -Effective Roleplay.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 04:16 InBlack

LoL warhawk, no actually you were making my point. The point being that corporations dont "invent" anything.  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 01:27 Warhawk

thank you Warhawk

????

Um, I was basically disagreeing with you. And you didn't even recognize that.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 00:54 Sepharo

Well since everyone in here doesn't have problems with their launch 360's I'll be the counter.

Stardock bought me a brand new 360 elite in August 2007 when I completed my internship... Red ring of death within the first week of playing Dead Rising.

The repair was quick and easy and in a couple of weeks I had a refurbed (not the one I sent in though) elite that I still use today.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 19:47 The Half Elf

Sorry Bats I had to get rid of my 360, instead I shall send you messages across Live and taunt you with having a worse overall achievement score then nin.

HA-HA! *points and giggles*.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 14:42 Ayii

InBlack, do you know how many products are sold at a loss? Printers (as they make money on the ink and toner cartridges), razors (non-electric, as they make money on the blades), cell phones (the ones where they make you buy a contract),etc. Grocery stores often sell Coke and other items below cost to draw customers in and hope they'll buy something else that's more profitable. It's called Loss Leaders and it's part of capitalism.

Also, don't blame the Xbox for moving some gamers away from the PC. Some people prefer the living room experience and ease of use that consoles provide.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 14:11 Cutter

emergency pokey hole dealie (EPHD).

LOL Blue, nice one. The EPHD should be the be the new official abbreviation adopted by disc player manufacturers everywhere. I'd piss my pants laughing if I saw that in a manual.

If your disc becomes stuck, it can be released by utilizing the EPHD (emergency pokey hole dealie) with a peper clip.

And, yeah, I want one of those Airpod cars. Joystick driven! The ultimate gamer vehicle.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 14:00 banddirector

I too have a launch day 360, and it's never given me any problems.

What *has* given me problems is my brand spankin' new copy of Dead Space I downloaded from Steam. Seems this original version (port) has some issues with key mapping for the PC version, specifically, you can't remap the right mouse button to go forward. I'm one of those old schoolers that has used the right mouse button since the original Wolfenstein (I think that's where it came from, but maybe it was Doom; I can't remember that far back). Anyway, now I'm gonna have to find an applet that lets me remap keys.

Geez I wish EA would have got this right the first time. I've read in forums that a coming patch will fix it, but I want to play it now ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 13:44 InBlack

Thank you Bhriuic, thank you Warhawk.

Finnaly some sense in this thread.

I apologize for my spelling and grammar mistakes, but english isnt my first language. I wasnt aware that SONY sold the PS3 at a loss, but that only makes them just as bad as MS, and it doesnt excuse MS in any way. In no way am I defending SONY here. I just followed the development of the Xbox more closely, because it was the first console to directly compete with the PC as the primary gaming platform in the world. As far as I know it still holds that position. Im not forgetting the original Playstation or the PS2, but as far as I can remember there were very few games that were developed for the PS2 or the PS AND the PC.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 13:45.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 13:00 Bhruic

That's not spin, that's historical fact.

Oh, please. It's nothing but unprovable speculation. I can just as easily, and just as unprovably claim that without Microsoft and Intel, the state of computing would be 50 years more advanced than it is now.

Or, to make an even sillier analogy... The only reason that humanity still exists today is because when I was 5, I tripped and scraped my knee. Don't believe me? Go ahead, try and prove otherwise. You can't, of course, since all you can do is theorize, you can't actually go back in time and see what would have happened if I didn't trip. The same is true for Wintel, there's no way to prove (or disprove) it, making it a pointless assertion to make.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 12:00 deadgoon

Oh and one other thing, Microsoft isnt responsible for computers as we know it.

Don't forget to thank Xerox for giving both Apple and MS the foundation for a GUI. There was something else developed long before that but I can't remember the name.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:27 Warhawk

Microsoft dint invent the computer, it didnt even invent the PC. So please dont give me the Henry Ford bullshit quotes.

And Henry Ford didn't invent the car - he just adapted the assembly line for automobile mass production.....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 MMORPGHoD

Im not talking about healthy productive business practices that together with competition breed progress. Im talking about underhanded moves like selling your lead console platform at a loss for several YEARS! straight so you can put your competitors out of business.

You do realize the PS3 has been selling a loss for years, right?

Nov 2006 - Selling at a $240 to $300 loss.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/6295-isuppli-sony-selling-ps3-at-300us-loss/

Dec 2008 - $399 system selling at a $50 loss, yay almost break even

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/12/playstation_3_still_selling_at_a_loss_but_a_much_smaller_loss-2.html

And it's still too expensive, especially for this economic climate which will be of little help in getting another 8 million units to catch up with the 360.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 11:24.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:17 xXBatmanXx

Anyone up for GH, RB, or some Batman Lego on 360 today, drop me a line.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:04 InBlack

It is interesting that you do not address any of the issues I have raised directly but smartly manuever around them.

Understanding business or capitalism has nothing to do with it. I understand that thats the way it is in big business. All busineses want is to drive their competitors under, true enough. I wont argue with that.

But just because its true doesnt make it right. In fact there are laws against monopolies. In fact Microsoft was involved in several law suits which it LOST?! *GASP*

Microsoft dint invent the computer, it didnt even invent the PC. So please dont give me the Henry Ford bullshit quotes.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 10:57 |RaptoR|

Raptor how bout learning to read eh?

And Im not even touching the subject of PC and PC gaming in general. The underhanded moves this corporation (as well as SONY) have pulled have left the industry in ruins.
I specifically mention Sony. So dont bullshit me. Im not talking about healthy productive business practices that together with competition breed progress. Im talking about underhanded moves like selling your lead console platform at a loss for several YEARS! straight so you can put your competitors out of business.

So please. Take your corporate fanboism and shove it.

There's no corporate fanboyism here, I'm just pointing out the practices of one are not different from the practices of another. There is no higher moral goal, companies want to make money and they'll do it however possible. To think that ANY corporation is out to benefit the masses and not make money is stupid.

To your argument of selling at a loss, the only system that recently has NOT been sold at a loss is the Wii. Going all the way back to the original NES, systems were sold at a loss and cost was recovered through software. That is the nature of the console market. Sell the core at a loss and recover money on high margin software and licensing. Loss leaders. You might want to spend some of your IT Analyst time analyzing the meaning of that term.

I also think it's ironic you ask me to learn to read when your post is littered with horrible grammar. Perhaps you should learn to write?

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 10:51 Burrito of Peace

Alright, InBlack, I'll take your points individually:

The only thing that forders progress is competition. Unfortunately with the Xbox (just like with every single other MS product) this is exactly what this greedy corporation is trying to destroy.

Competition fosters, which I assume you mean by "forders", innovation but it does not foster progress. Society fosters progress by demand. Every corporation on the face of the planet wants to eliminate their competition and become the sole provider of Y widget. It's called capitalism at work. If you owned a company, wouldn't you want to drive your competitors out of business so you could get all the customers? Of course you would. Anything less is purely immature idealism or straight out dishonesty.

Im not going to list the countless references here because I dont have the time, but if you dont believe me ask any honest IT analyst.

I doubt you have the experience, to be honest. It's the only reason you'd have to refer to "references" instead of actual experience. I'm not being hostile towards you but your posts thus far on this subject show a marked lack of understanding on how businesses and markets work, the history of the American business or even how the electronic entertainment industry has progressed over the last two decades or so.

Funny thing you should mention an IT "analyst". Analysts look and predict trends but they are definitely not the people in the trenches administrating your servers. Honest server admins will tell you that both Windows and Linux servers have their uses in different roles and that neither is inherently superior to the other. A smart one will tell you that Active Directory obliterates LDAP for ease of use, maintenance and management. They will also tell you that the cost of ownership is about the same at the end of the day. Name one large corporation that doesn't rely on support contracts whether it be with Microsoft, Redhat, Sun or whomever.

And Im not even touching the subject of PC and PC gaming in general. The underhanded moves this corporation (as well as SONY) have pulled have left the industry in ruins.

I'd suggest touching it after you become a bit more educated. By underhanded, do you mean providing a standardized API on a standardized OS and hardware platform that helped breed the predecessors to your current favorite games as well as your current favorite games? Let's not forget that such standardization made it possible for the development of such advances as symmetrical multiprocessing and wide band memory addressing that you enjoy today in your home computing.

Or do you mean making volume deals with OEM manufacturers to make their product the dominant OS on the market? That's brilliant, not underhanded. Further, how do you think Intel became the dominant chip manufacturer in the world when it was slugging it out with companies like Cyrix and AMD when the x86 was becoming more and more critical back in the early 90s? Why do you think you remember the "Intel Inside" and "Where do you want to go today?" campaigns? You may hate them, but they were effective and turned their companies in to market leaders.

Let's not be childish here. I'm not saying Microsoft is perfect, no company ever is. However, to say that they are nothing but the Antichrist in corporate form is nothing short of near criminal ignorance. If you don't want to understand business, capitalism, marketing and public demand and how that affects the actions of a corporation, that's fine. Just don't shout your ignorance at the top of your lungs.

Oh and this bit:
dont give me that typical corporate spin "If it werent for corporation X,Y,Z...

That's not spin, that's historical fact. I'll leave you with a quote from Horace Dodge, one of the two founders of the Dodge car company.

"Henry Ford was a bastard but I am thankful for him. Without Ford, I am not sure we would have retired the horse yet."

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 10:10 InBlack

Oh and one other thing, Microsoft isnt responsible for computers as we know it.

Its proof of the power of Spin and Marketing for people to believe that like you do.

IBM is. IBM created the PC standard architecture that differentiates PC's from other computers.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 09:57 xXBatmanXx

Well said advocate.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 09:49 InBlack

Raptor how bout learning to read eh?

I specifically mention Sony. So dont bullshit me. Im not talking about healthy productive business practices that together with competition breed progress. Im talking about underhanded moves like selling your lead console platform at a loss for several YEARS! straight so you can put your competitors out of business.

So please. Take your corporate fanboism and shove it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 09:36 Dan =0)

Speaking of Nintendo:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/nintendo-planning-friendlier-approach-to-game-difficulty/1278610

Somehow this just seems... wrong. Thoughts?

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo