Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing

GamesIndustry.biz has word that Funcom is closing more than half the servers for Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, saying the fantasy themed MMORPG's 49 servers will ultimately be consolidated into 18 servers. They outline how the servers will be merged, pointing out that this is an indicator of how much attrition the game's population has suffered following its launch, but that this should provide a better game experience for remaining players, who should find servers more densely populated.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 13:30 Karnisov

49 servers at release. XD
thats funny.

"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 12:27 sauron

I didn't really notice much when playing GW that nobody else was in my instance, except when i wanted to get a rare creature or item and nobody swooped out of the sky to steal it out from under me.

That was one of the things I hated about FFXI - competition for rare creatures and/or endgame bosses can be intense and it's a design feature of the game. You might see 8 or 10 different linkshells (guilds) of 10-15 members each, camping out against each other for 3 hours per day for a single boss that spawns only once every 21-24 hours. Ugh - horrible grind.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 12:28.

Kittens!

20. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 09:43 Agent.X7

Do it like in Guild Wars
Ah, but then is it really an MMO or just a regular RPG where the lobby is essentially in-game?

Disclaimer: I haven't played Guild Wars so my assumptions on how it works may be a bit off.

Nope, you're pretty much spot on. But, WoW is pretty much all about grouping with only your friends or going it solo as well. I didn't really notice much when playing GW that nobody else was in my instance, except when i wanted to get a rare creature or item and nobody swooped out of the sky to steal it out from under me.

Hero's Journey - whose engine TOR is using, BTW - has the right idea: Cities and common hunting grounds are open to all, but most places that you would do quests are instanced. I like that idea.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 09:24 peteham

Do it like in Guild Wars
Ah, but then is it really an MMO or just a regular RPG where the lobby is essentially in-game?

Disclaimer: I haven't played Guild Wars so my assumptions on how it works may be a bit off.

18. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 07:32 Grounded

The end is near for this piece of garbage MMO  

17. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 06:51 Kajetan

I frankly can't see how it can be done in an MMO.

Do it like in Guild Wars. Players met only in the cities, everything else is instanced. Which gives you a more realistic feeling of adventuring through the wild and lonely wilderness, killing The Great Dragon Blargh all alone (or with a party) in his horrible domain, then returning to the lively and comfy town to boast about your deeds.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2009, 06:52.

16. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 06:31 peteham

I dont know about others, but I always hated overpopulated fantasy MMOs. Theres nothing like a line of people in front of the dungeon, huh?
There's no better catalyst for that epic feel than when you go on your great quest to kill The Great Dragon Blargh or some such, Scourge of The Land! Sure enough, on arrival, there's already five dead dragons on the ground, and a line of adventurers NINE THOUSAAAND!!11 miles long. All awaiting their turn to save the world from the ancient enemy.

I'm curious to see how Bioware will achieve the meaningful impact on story/world thing they've been bragging about for Republic. I frankly can't see how it can be done in an MMO.

15. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 05:21 Kxmode

I dont know about others, but I always hated overpopulated fantasy MMOs. Theres nothing like a line of people in front of the dungeon, huh?

Actually it's more like waiting outside in a line to get into the theme park. WOW is suffering that these days. I've had two guildmate friends cancel their accounts because of it.

14. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 04:10 Muscular Beaver

but that this should provide a better game experience for remaining players, who should find servers more densely populated.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

13. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 03:36 Kxmode

Saturday Night Live skit with Steve Martin. Am I right?!

Other side of the pond.

Doh!

Well thank goodness for YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

12. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 03:26 Eldaron Imotholin

Personally I'd love to see Bioware use the Conan Engine/Combat for The Old Republic.

I was betting my grandpa saying that you are kidding. Plz.. be kidding. I'm rather fond of my grandpa.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

11. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 01:03 Asmodai

1-20: Brilliant, almost worth paying the price of admission. Fun, good combat, healing that doesn't make you want to stab yourself in the eye, positional dmg meaning you have full time bladeflurry as a rogue X D

20-50: Okay, the loss of voice acting sucked but generally the quests were fun, the environments were well done and very enjoyable. Instances were broken beyond belief however.

50-80: Fucking torturous grinding because you could finish the previous area's quests before you'd even taken a chunk out of your req xp and then you were left with grinding for the rest.

Pvp: crap/non existant/bugged.
End game: Crap/bugged.
City build: Great fun as a guild event but ultimately pointless as most of the good buffs weren't in game.
Crafting and collecting: Jesus what a pain in the ass.
City Sieging: bugged to fuck, our first siege (which we wagered all our points on), we basically got chain zoned crashed out while the defenders just watched as we'd ride in, attack then all disappear. We lost the siege because the finger of god wouldn't let us attack and all our pvp points X |.

In short, 1-20 = polished and completed and fun. The rest, half baked and unfinished. The engine was beautiful and when it worked, it worked damn well. Definitely could have used another year in the oven, WotLK is so easi mode that ppl would be looking for something new right about now. WAR and AoC should have waited...

10. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 23:50 Tumbler

The engine is horribly buggy, chock full of memory leaks, and runs poorly in general.

But it's soooo pretttty....

I wish I could go back and play for a trial period. Just an email saying come play this weekend for free would probably get me to spend $5 on a 1/2 price month of play.

The problem is I don't see them trying to market this game at all. It definitely offers something you can't get elsewhere, for better or worse, and I wish they'd offer customers who tried the game in the beginning a way to play the game today, with their characters, and see how it is.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 23:33 Warskull

Personally I'd love to see Bioware use the Conan Engine/Combat for The Old Republic.

The engine is horribly buggy, chock full of memory leaks, and runs poorly in general.

8. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 23:23 beigemore

I played AOC when it first came out during the trial period. I don't think this is a bad move for them. Final Fantasy XI only has around 20 servers and it's got a very strong community behind it, so this will probably only make things better the people that already enjoy the game.  

7. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 23:21 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 22:59 Luthier

I wonder if Funcom's top management is kicking themselves very hard right now for not letting the game stay in development longer and get later-game content and PVP ironed out before release. Probably not. I'm sure they're finding someone else to blame.  

5. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 22:37 nin

Other side of the pond.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/

http://www.smouse.force9.co.uk/monty.htm

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 22:00 Kxmode

3. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 12, 2009, 21:57 nin

Bring out your dead!

CUSTOMER: Here's one.

CART MASTER: Nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

CART MASTER: What?

CUSTOMER: Nothing. Here's your nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

CART MASTER: 'Ere. He says he's not dead!

CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not!

CART MASTER: He isn't?

CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.

DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo