Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Death Knights Expand

The World of Warcraft Forums announces that the restrictions for creating a Death Knight character in World of Warcraft have eased (as promised), and they are now allowing players who have level 55 or higher toons to create a Death Knight on any realm in their region, rather than restricting this to the realm of the level 55 character. There are still restrictions, however: "Please keep in mind that restrictions still apply to new, non-transfer realms such that death knights cannot be created on those realms until you level a character to level 55 on that realm or until transfer restrictions are removed. For any players considering creating a new death knight, we wanted to give an early heads-up, in case you wished to create a new death knight on a realm other than the one where your characters currently reside." Further details are in their Death Knight Creation FAQ. Thanks WorldofWar.Net.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 13, 2009, 07:00 Dades

Yeah because posting on an internet forum = foaming at the mouth. If you had so little willpower that you couldn't press the logout button then you really shouldn't be playing games period or even going outside, there's addictive stuff out there oh noes! Grow up kxmode.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 12, 2009, 21:44 Kxmode

So glad I freed myself from WOW. I mean look at you guys. You're foaming at the mouth and everything.  

78. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 11, 2009, 12:08 Dades

lol? Prove it?
Read the fucking thread! And lots of similar ones!
Are you saying that those people all have no fucking clue and I am lying? Lowerping.com is a scam too?

Congrats you setup a proxy! So you have your latency to the proxy then the proxy's latency to the WoW servers. That's all lowerping.com is. Has nothing to do with the previous poster refuting your claims about TCP which you haven't done anything to prove other than post a thread on the wow forums which is A) old and B) is on the wow forums.

77. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 11, 2009, 09:09 Slashman

If the Death Knight starting at level 55 is a problem, why not let them start at level 1 but give them an entirely unique questline that only they can follow?

They did this in City of Heroes for the Kheldians. They start at level 1 but they get a unique contact that gives them new missions and storylines that regular toons don't get.

Actually, I thought that was how Death Knights were going to work. I don't, and never will, play WoW so I was ignorant of the inplementation. Just seems a bit lazy for Blizzard.

Ah well...

76. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 10, 2009, 15:37 Muscular Beaver

lol? Prove it?
Read the fucking thread! And lots of similar ones!
Are you saying that those people all have no fucking clue and I am lying? Lowerping.com is a scam too?

Troll.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

75. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 10, 2009, 12:27 Dades

Prove it, all you've posted is placebo effect.  

74. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 10, 2009, 05:22 Muscular Beaver

2) The link mentioned turning on TCP_NODELAY near the end. WoW already disables the nagle algorithm (they didn't initially, the flag was toggled a few patches ago, 2.4? I think.) so the things in the link will do NOTHING.

Thats complete bullshit and another of Blizzard failures that seems to have fooled at least yourself pretty well. I played when they "disabled" the nagle algorithm, and it did NOTHING for your ping (as several other posts indicate aswell). I still had a nice ping when pinging the servers but in the game it doubled or tripled. Some people even reported that the registry change worked better than the so called fix Blizzard implemented.
Thats also why lowerping.com still works, which I had to use myself and it helped a lot. You cant believe how much that helped me in PvP and even upped my DPS and helped my healing in raids considerably.
Did you even read the post? You should notice this post was done years after someone suggested to disable that algorithm via the registry. People used that to almost no effect. You need a proxy or a gateway with other tweaks for it to work 100%. All explained in that post. At the end you will also see people who report their findings with the Blizzard "fix", which even made things worse.
As you will notice there are more than plenty of people who even saw a huge improvement in their ping after the nagle algorithm was disabled by Blizzard by using this fix.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2009, 05:40.

- Mojo Jojo

73. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 23:00 The Half Elf

WHEN THE HELL WERE SHAMAN'S OVERPOWERED?!?

Only people who think they are, are pre-BC Paladin's who kept whining that they can't DPS and whined so much cause everything ran away from them.

Paladin always has been and always will be a dirty word to me.

Horde for Life.

But on a side note it was nice as a Horde only player to take my poor lowly dwarf (gotta love short bitter folks who drink and swing 2 handed weapons at crotch height) and turned him into a Death Knight and see what all the Alliance side had to offer with the BC.

And another thing the reason everyone was playing them is cause they were the newest shiny toy offered to players. After 3 years it should be no surprise that when they add something new or make major changes to a class everyone jumps on them. Be it flying mounts, engineering mounts, horde as paladin elfs, alliance as shaman squid people, etc.
Everything has a 'OMG I WANNA DO THAT TOO!' phase to it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

72. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 22:01 Dades

It's ok, it would've been all above your head anyways there little guy.  

71. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 21:20 Kxmode

tl;dr  

70. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 21:12 Dades

His comments were perfectly ontopic, he even gave you the text he was quoting. It's all from like 8 posts down btw.  

69. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 20:48 Kxmode

Holy crap m00t. I thought my comments were off-topic. Your post is like off the radar screen.  

68. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 19:45 m00t

This is really vague, how do you expect me to answer?

I dont expect you to answer. I dont know if you noticed that problem. But you could at least acknowledge it if you heard about it. It took months to get fixed.

They can't do client side prediction with UDP, people could then modify the packets a la Diablo 2. It's an MMO, you can't do what you're asking without allowing for massive abuse.

I guess I didnt choose the words well. Heres an explanation:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3271071466&sid=1&pageNo=1

1) Client side prediction works just fine with UDP. In fact WoW uses a lot of client side prediction and you frequently see artifacts of it. Without it player movements would be VERY choppy. One very noticeable artifact is when you see someone riding their mount towards you and it looks like they are constantly turning to the left or right then warping forward. This is due to the prediction thinking they are traveling in a different direction than the server is moving them (the warps are server updates to the player position).

A big reason for not using UDP is that you end up implementing 2/3rds of the features TCP/IP gives you in what is usually a less efficient manner. There's a lot of useful software already written with TCP/IP in mind re: session management and traffic shaping that would be annoying to re-implement for UDP. Why re-invent the wheel when you can just borrow an existing one?

2) The link mentioned turning on TCP_NODELAY near the end. WoW already disables the nagle algorithm (they didn't initially, the flag was toggled a few patches ago, 2.4? I think.) so the things in the link will do NOTHING.

Also, your client won't wait for an ACK before sending more data unless it goes a very long time without getting an ACK. ACKs are used to guarantee reliable transmissions, not to say 'YES IM READY FOR MORE DATA'. If a packet (or more often a group of packets gets ack'd all at once) isn't Ack'd, and TCP was told to guarantee the delivery, it will try to resend until the data times out or it is resent with another batch of data.

67. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 18:26 Dades

Yeah because all of the people playing WoW are unemployed and have zero friends. All of those people on Xbox Live too, in fact gamers in general are losers am i rite? Rolleyes  

66. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 18:11 Muscular Beaver

You can do many different, more fun things with friends, too.  

- Mojo Jojo

65. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 18:05 Kedyn

I'm surprised that most of you mention the technical aspects of the game, like balance, tech issues, downtime, etc, rather than the SOCIAL aspects as being what is keeping people playing. Sure, the game is fun for a while, but then it feels like work. Any game will do that after a while, but it's less torture with a few like minded friends with you.  

64. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 18:01 Muscular Beaver

I will say the leveling process in second to none. So perhaps that's why so many stay, because they never reach the level cap to notice the insane gear grind.

Some players enjoy the gear grind, but think how much worse WOW would be if you had to grind mobs from 1 to 80.

That may very well be true. The most enjoyable time I had in that game was leveling and exploring. After I reached max level, I almost always rerolled another char or went to the other faction, but even that got boring after a time. Honestly, the item grind (PvP and PvE) sometimes felt like work for me. Me and my friends had sometimes lengthy conversation about if we wanted to go on that raid tonight or not because we simply didnt want to grind that instance again. But mostly the greed for items won.

- Mojo Jojo

63. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 18:00 Burrito of Peace

It says that I am REALLY bored at work. So bored that I'm entering an almost delirious state wherein playing WoW sounds vaguely appealing.

Dear God, bring me caffeine or make one of the servers catch fire so I'll have something to do.

62. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 17:53 Kxmode

While most MMOs have these people to some degree, WoW seems to have an exponentially higher degree of people who can be riled up by a single sentence.

Because it has more subscribers... duh.

61. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 17:51 Kxmode

Judging by WoW's success many people do, perhaps you don't but fair enough that is your choice.

I will say the leveling process in second to none. So perhaps that's why so many stay, because they never reach the level cap to notice the insane gear grind.

Some players enjoy the gear grind, but think how much worse WOW would be if you had to grind mobs from 1 to 80.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo