Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

New version 181.20 NVIDIA GeForce reference drivers are now available, among other things, adding support for GeForce GTX 295 and GeForce GTX 285 accelerators, and offering performance improvements. There are new drivers for Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP x64, Server 2003 x64, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, and Linux.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 15:20 Hump

Labor of love, no doubt for us all, but is any one else noticing the rapidly increasing Forceware bloat?

I guess you could call it that but all their apps are pretty useful. If you dig a bit you can usually find the driver only download sans the apps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 13:21 Overon

Just turn off the multicore option in Left4Dead.

Problem solved.
But won't turning off multicore support result in lower FPS?

17. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 13:19 Nox

Just turn off the multicore option in Left4Dead.

Problem solved.

16. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 13:00 Overon

I went back to the 178.24 driver and it solved the problem. I also downloaded the leaked 185.20 driver and that also has the stuttering problem.  

15. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 04:24 Ray Ban

Or you can just turn off multi-core support under advanced graphics options. It solved the problem on my rig and I didn't notice any drop in performance ...  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

14. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 03:56 Don S

I tried this driver set today, and experienced the L4D stuttering problem. I dropped back to v178.24 and the problem is gone.

I guess I'll stay where I am till I finish putting together a new system.

Thanks for confirming it as a known issue.

FYI (Mobo: ABit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI (NF-CK804) Socket 939 / CPU: AMD Opteron 185 / RAM: 3GB (2*Corsair CMX1024-3500LLPRO 2*Kingston PC32000 512MB) / Video: BFG GF8800 GTX OC 768MB)

13. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 02:43 Bluesfanboi

As if driver installs weren't a chore enough, but now there are multiple elements: Video Driver, PhysX, ntune/system clock, application profiles, and some strange control panel "click here for more" stuff going on.

Labor of love, no doubt for us all, but is any one else noticing the rapidly increasing Forceware bloat?

12. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 01:09 Ahnteis

RE: L4D Stuttering.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of finding out.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2009, 01:09.

11. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 00:25 Overon

I don't have this problem and no one I know has complained about it, and we're not using old drivers like that. Might be a conflict on your system.
Not a problem on my system only. Others are experiencing it as well. Do a search for "stuttering" on steam's left 4 dead forums. The problem is nvidia drivers and L4D's mulitcore support. You can solve the problem multiple ways like using the 178.xx drivers or disable multicore support in game and/or setting mat_queue 0 in game console or adding +mat_queue_mode 0 commandline of the game or running the game in a borderless window.

Intel core 2 duo
8800 GT

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2009, 02:13.

10. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2009, 00:01 Blackhawk

You should only need Driver Cleaner/Sweeper if you're troubleshooting a problem or downgrading drivers to older versions. For regular updating, it isn't really needed - despite what the purists will tell you.  

9. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 23:59 StingingVelvet

I can confirm that these drivers haven't fixed the stuttering problem which is actually a stopping problem where everything sound and everything else stops for 1 or 3 or 5 seconds at a time. I can say that the stuttering is less frequent than previous releases. The only driver that does not have this problem is 179 driver.

I don't have this problem and no one I know has complained about it, and we're not using old drivers like that. Might be a conflict on your system.

8. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 23:45 Overon

I can confirm that these drivers haven't fixed the stuttering problem which is actually a stopping problem where everything sound and everything else stops for 1 or 3 or 5 seconds at a time. I can say that the stuttering is less frequent than previous releases. The only driver that does not have this problem is 179 driver.  

7. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 22:31 elefunk

FYI - the performance improvements listed are in comparison to the 179 drivers, not the 180 drivers released last month. The 180 drivers listed the same performance improvements.  

6. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 22:22 Overon

Is there any official word about the stuttering problem with Left 4 Dead and certain versions of the nvidia drivers?

The only version that I have found that does not have the stuttering problem is 178.24

5. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 22:12 Techie714 ©

Booting into safe mode and using Driver Cleaner Pro is mentioned in the NVIDIA forums

WOW, thanks for bringing back memory's from the 90's for me..hehe Actually in the last 9 years I have never had to do that. The new drivers will automatically remove the old ones & copy over the new files, then reboot & your done. Simple.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 22:10 DusterAZ

I just install over the previous ones. I have no issues on Vista x64.  

3. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 21:36 RP

Newb question alert: What's the best way to uninstall old drivers and reinstall new ones? Booting into safe mode and using Driver Cleaner Pro is mentioned in the NVIDIA forums...  

2. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 21:31 LittleMe

Very nice, and with linux version too! In some ways I miss nV.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2009, 21:17 Ahnteis

SWEET.
They finally added the ability to have 1 card dedicated to gfx and one to physx.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo