Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Phenom II X4 Launch

AMD has launched its Phenom II CPUs, and introduces a new "Dragon" platform. PC World, and CNET have details on the CPU launch and the Dragon part, with PC World saying, "We didn't see broad adoption of AMD's Spider platform from system builders, but we know of several desktop vendors who will be selling Dragon systems in the near future." This CPU line is not designed to compete with Intel's high-end Core i7 chips, but come at a much lower price point, and the Phenom II X4 940 CPU is one of those black editions with unlocked multipliers for overclocking. The NDA on this expired at midnight, so here are the first reviews:

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 17:20 Cartman

GTA4?

Yep, GTA4 runs fine on my old Core2Duo at 3.4GHz. With an unoverclocked 9600GT no less. Cheers

FarCry2, Crysis(Warhead too), Stalker:Clear Sky and even Peggle also run fine. Middlefinger

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 16:24 Jerykk

Modern games have lost their spark for me. Heck, I'm replaying Nexus right now and some old adventure games.

Same. It's been a few years since I've played anything that really wowed me. I was pleasantly surprised by Penumbra, though.

7. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 15:52 Cock A Doodle Do

My 2yr-old+ E6400 running at 3.4GHz still stomps the crap out of AMD's latest and greatest offerings. Still stomps most of Intel's latest stuff at stock speeds too.

Grats?

My 2yr-old+ E6400 running at 3.4GHz still stomps the crap out of AMD's latest and greatest offerings. Still stomps most of Intel's latest stuff at stock speeds too.

GTA4?

Well, just to mention something that's on my mind because of the newest patch release, STALKER Clear Sky looks absolutely gorgeous in DirectX 10 mode, and I had a lot of fun playing it. Definitely worth a video card upgrade.

Did they ever fix the crap performance on the 8800gt when it launched?

6. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 15:36 Cartman

Too little, too late once again, AMD.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2009, 15:36.

5. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 13:02 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know if there's any big reason to get the latest and greatest CPUs anymore. All new games are GPU limited, not CPU limited. I am quite sure that any slowdowns I see in my games are due to my 6 month old ATI 4850, not my 2 year old 2.4ghz core 2 duo.
Games like GTAIV and FarCry 2 make good use of faster processors like the Core i7. That said, graphics is definitely the limiting factor in most games and the prices just aren't dropping as quickly as I would hope - in fact when I checked the price the other day it was actually more expensive to grab a 4870 than what I paid at launch. Bizarre.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

4. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 12:18 LittleMe

I love tech and hardware and all that, especially games. But has there been a game released in the last couple of years worth upgrading my computer for?

No there hasn't been a good compelling reason to upgrade beyond a mid-range CPU.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 11:36 skyguy

Dammit, I was halfway through anandtech's article, and their site goes down!

But has there been a game released in the last couple of years worth upgrading my computer for?

Well, just to mention something that's on my mind because of the newest patch release, STALKER Clear Sky looks absolutely gorgeous in DirectX 10 mode, and I had a lot of fun playing it. Definitely worth a video card upgrade.

With that said... I don't know if there's any big reason to get the latest and greatest CPUs anymore. All new games are GPU limited, not CPU limited. I am quite sure that any slowdowns I see in my games are due to my 6 month old ATI 4850, not my 2 year old 2.4ghz core 2 duo.

2. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 11:09 CreamyBlood

I love tech and hardware and all that, especially games. But has there been a game released in the last couple of years worth upgrading my computer for?

Nothing seems to interest me anymore, Spore? RA3? Dead Space? Am I missing something, or are the games not there? I'm good for Multiplayer. All the shit I'm playing now is old, or almost ten years old. I don't know what to spend my money on.

Modern games have lost their spark for me. Heck, I'm replaying Nexus right now and some old adventure games.

1. Re: AMD Phenom II X4 Launch Jan 8, 2009, 10:38 InBlack

Looks like AMD has finnaly released a decent Quad Core chip. Too bad its a about a year too late

From what I can gather it cant compete with the i7 lineup, but it kicks the ass out of the faster Core 2 Quad line-up, and at a better price point. Not too shabby.

But again, a year too late. People are already making the switch to the next gen i7....

I have a nifty blue line!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo