Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock: The Phantom Menace?

MCV features a preview tidbit from an interview with Christoph Hartmann they will publish in full tomorrow. They quote the Global President of 2K on the potential for multiple BioShock sequels, and while he stresses they don't plan to "cash in" on the underwater shooter series in the manner of The Matrix sequels, his reference to the Star Wars movie series recalls another franchise that arguably did just that:

For Bioshock, because itís so story driven, the question obviously arises: how long can you do it without turning into The Matrix? The first Matrix was great, the second one was weird and the third one, you thought: ĎWho [making this] is on crack and who isnít?í. ďBut, then again, look at Star Wars. Itís a fight between good and evil, just like Bioshock. If we spin it the right way and get the right twist of innovation, we can make six parts of it, as Star Wars did.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 8, 2009, 06:41 CreamyBlood

I'm stalled on Bioshock a little past halfway I imagine. I don't know why exactly but probably because I got sick of rifling through ten million boxes to get stuff I don't really need or care about.

Plus fighting the same enemies over and over again, it almost became a chore. I hope they pick a direction in the sequel and stick with it, like make the weapons/plasmids somewhat meaningful, or just make a straight out action shooter with variety.

I like the story, graphics, setting and atmosphere but the gameplay just lost my interest. I'll get back to it and hopefully it picks up again.

As to Star Wars, I like New Hope and Empire the best, Return got corny with the Ewoks, it was a franchise without a doubt by then. The first two I can still watch on network television with commercials and still enjoy them.

The last three are a blur, but I didn't like any of them. I actually went to the theatre to watch one of them with my mom when she was visiting, (no idea which one) and I was so bored I went out for probably three cigarettes. After about an hour and a half we left because we just didn't care anymore.

Complete disappointments, all of three of the prequels. It almost seems like modern media, whether games or movies are contrived to completely bore you out of your mind. Or maybe I'm just getting old, jaded, cynical and too demanding. Not sure which.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 8, 2009, 02:51 Jerykk

No he didn't. Grunting a bit and then badly raising/lowering your voice while your eyes look like they're popping out of your skull is not acting. It's just being a melodramatic idiot.

At least it's better than non-acting. His performance in Attack of the Clones was just painfully stilted and mundane. In RotS, he was much more natural. Not good but at least tolerable. The biggest problem in all the prequels is that Lucas simply can't write for shit so the dialogue is just awful in every one. No actor could deliver a good performance with those lines.

As for Phantom Menace, don't even get me started. Jar-Jar was bad but that kid who played Anakin... oh man. Worst child actor ever. So horrible. He made Hayden look like Gary Oldman. Any enjoyment I might have gleaned from the film was just bludgeoned every time that boy spoke.

29. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 8, 2009, 01:21 Creston

Hayden Christensen actually acted!

No he didn't. Grunting a bit and then badly raising/lowering your voice while your eyes look like they're popping out of your skull is not acting. It's just being a melodramatic idiot.

Revenge of the Sith was a 2 hour jerk-off video for CGI geeks. Hey, it looks fucking fantastic, I won't deny that. The story and dialog is beyond retarded, however.

Apart from Jar-Jar (well, and poor casting for most of the characters) I find Phantom to be a pretty decent movie.

Creston

28. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 23:21 Jerykk

I knew putting Revenge up so high would irk fans but you guys want it below Phantom Menace? That's just fuckin crazy.

Agreed. Of the prequels, RotS was the best. Hayden Christensen actually acted! A bit. Still, it was really disappointing how weak Lucas made General Grievous compared to how badass he was in the Clone Wars animated series.

27. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 18:52 Sepharo

I knew putting Revenge up so high would irk fans but you guys want it below Phantom Menace? That's just fuckin crazy.  

26. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 18:41 Overon

Uh, that's what this discussion is about.
You are right. However I'm saying that the guy from 2k is getting ahead of himself.

25. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:59 Cutter

You're saying that The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi are worse than A New Hope?

Uh, fuck yeah. Teh Nub Hope at least had all the makings of a classic adventure and ground breaking special effects for the time. Empire was decent, but you could see the series was starting to veer off course. Return was just fucking pathetic. Or maybe you think Ewoks are the next best thing whatever the fuck Jar Jar Bink's species was called. Alec Guiness was right about Star Wars and he hated it. It is utter tripe.

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/guinness.html

I think it's premature to start talking about bioshock as turning into a forever thing like star wars. They only have 1 game released and it obviously sold enough to justify a sequel. Let's not speculate too much.

Uh, that's what this discussion is about. Best re-read the blurb about how Hartmann says they can hopefully milk this franchise which is just a bad idea. The suits will never get it. It's like Rocky, an absolute superbly crafted film. A gem that would shine out like the sun if not for the assholes trying to cash in by making Rocky 2 - 6 and tarnishing it.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 17:01.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:21 Overon

I think it's premature to start talking about bioshock as turning into a forever thing like star wars. They only have 1 game released and it obviously sold enough to justify a sequel. Let's not speculate too much.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 16:24.

23. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:19 Cabezone

You're saying that The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi are worse than A New Hope? Bullshit. The first Star Wars film was good but they got better as they went on because Lucas didn't direct them. Come the prequels he decided to direct again and they were appalling. The simple conclusion is that Lucas can't direct and just got lucky with A New Hope.

He didn't write the screenplays for Empire or Return either.

I'd be very curious to see the Jones script that Ford and Spielberg actually wanted to film before involving Lucas.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 16:21.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

22. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:16 Creston

Oooohhhh Star Wars discussions!

*breaks out inner nerd*

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Well, I'd flip Jedi up to 3, and Clones and Menace above Revenge of the Sith. Sith was just a fucking catastrophe. To be honest, apart from Jar-Jar, Phantom Menace is actually a pretty decent movie if you realize that the entire conflict takes place solely and alone so that Palpatine can gain control of the Imperial Senate.

Padme dying for no apparent reason, "I have the upper ground!", Darth Vader screaming "Nooo!"... Sith was actually trying to be good, and instead took everything it touched in every moment that was Star Wars and bent it over a chair like it was Kobe Bryant.

Awesome analogy.

I agree that the absolute biggest irritation in Sith is that fucking whining bint Padme. "Oh no, my heart is broken. I'm going to choose to die, even though I just gave BIRTH TO FUCKING TWIN CHILDREN."

As for Indiana Jones - Crystal Skull, I liked it. The premise was a bit too far out even for Indiana Jones. I like Indy much more when he's steeped in mythology rather than sci-fi. The aliens were just stupid.

But I liked the gags they did about his age, and there was a lot of typical Indy humor in it, so all in all it wasn't bad. Shaiaeiiaia Leboaoeufeeeuuf as his greaser kid was a bad decision and poorly written, but at least he tried to pull it off as best he could.

Creston

21. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:08 Creston

We don't want to turn it into the Matrix, where it was three titles and the third one sucked.

We instead want to turn it into Star Wars, where it was six titles, and the last three sucked.

No, I agree Chrishhothophh Hartmanttnnt, that sounds like a MUCH better plan!

Creston

20. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:05 SquirrelZero

Empire
New Hope
Return
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith

IMO.

19. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 16:03 PropheT

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

I'm sorry, but... my god, man. Revenge of the Sith is the worst of the prequels, and even the best of the prequels wasn't good enough to hold a candle to Jedi.

Padme dying for no apparent reason, "I have the upper ground!", Darth Vader screaming "Nooo!"... Sith was actually trying to be good, and instead took everything it touched in every moment that was Star Wars and bent it over a chair like it was Kobe Bryant.

The first two prequels were unwatchable, the last one is the one that actually gave the finger to the fans and then peed on the grave of what they had loved. It's an abomination of a movie and an exercise on exactly what -not- to do with an IP you still have value in.

18. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:42 nin

Have you seen Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull?

Don't, it's fucking awful. I kind of knew it would be shortly after I sat down and saw Lucas on the intro credits, but I still had some hope. That didn't last long, and quickly turned into surprise at just how utterly shit it actually was.

It was the CGI gopher over the opening credits, wasn't it? As soon as he popped up, I thought "fuck, thanks Lucas".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:40 Agent.X7

Don't, it's fucking awful. I kind of knew it would be shortly after I sat down and saw Lucas on the intro credits, but I still had some hope. That didn't last long, and quickly turned into surprise at just how utterly shit it actually was.

Yes yes, everybody knows how shit the film was. But it's just one of those things that is so bad I can't resist complaining warning people off it at the slightest opportunity.

I actually liked it. Granted, it wasn't the best film in the series, but it was a lot better than some other recent films.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:38 Agent.X7

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/2K-President-Six-BioShock-Games-Possible-14454.html

Funny news blurb about this as well.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:36 DG

Got that right. Lucas shouldn't get anywhere near the director's chair, or any chair in which he gets any sort of input on the content of a film. Unfortunately he has a ridiculous amount of money and can make any film he wants, even one written, directed by and starring himself if he so chooses. GAH!!

Yes yes, everybody knows how shit the film was. But it's just one of those things that is so bad I can't resist complaining warning people off it at the slightest opportunity.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 15:36.

14. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:33 Agent.X7

Hello! I'm upper management, and even though I really never play the games we publish, because I secretly think games are for kids and immature adults who live in Mom's basement, I feel I am qualified to speak about the planned sequels to said games. Let me make some ridiculous comparisons between apples and oranges using pop culture that I am somewhat aware of, so that I can appear to be a complete and utter dumbass.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:28 Sepharo

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

12. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 15:08 Acleacius

Itís a fight between good and evil, just like Bioshock
WTF? Speaking of Crack.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo