Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British to Return?

Looking back to the future of fun on BBC News has quotes from some game developers about the way 2008 turned out. One of their respondents is Richard Garriott, the designer cum-astronaut who parted ways with NCsoft earlier this year, saying he was leaving to pursue "some new interests" inspired by his trip to outer space (thanks Wired). Either he meant "old interests" when he said "new interests," or he has changed his mind, because it sounds like he is considering trading in his general's stars for another set of whatever it is lords wear to symbolize their lordships, and returning to fantasy game design. He also praises Blizzard, rather than ex-colleagues NCsoft, for their MMOG prowess:

If I had to pick a developer who has done a bang up job, it would be Blizzard [the development team behind World of Warcraft]. The number of people they have converted is just amazing. They have shown all of us what good game development is all about.

After 25 years at Origin, the last thing I wanted to make was yet another medieval fantasy game. Now, after a very interesting break, I'm keen to get back into the fray and work on a new game. Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 3, 2009, 08:05 Prez

Wow! A fantasy based MMORPG? Not many of those around...

Come on, Ritchie G - didn't Tabula Rasa's rather spectacular failure teach you anything? You are terrible at MMO's. Stick with what you know. Yeah, WoW's numbers are enviable, but you are not going to emulate that. EVER. So just go back to making your kinds of games (the kind that those of us for whom "Lord British" actually means something special really long for) and quit hunting for the cash cow that never comes.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2009, 08:15.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 18:00 Kxmode

6. If you're going with a fantasy level, please, for the love of god, do something other than your incredibly tired sword & sorcery. Or if you have to, I humbly suggest a setting called "Villains by Necessity". It takes place 500 years after the apocalypse, and good has triumphed and the world is an idyllic place of peace and harmony. The Dark Syndicate (a consortium of miscellaneous evil gods) use the last of their godly energy to corrupt a small handful of people to evil... the party. It is now the PCs job to go out and corrupt the world, bring evil (and hence balance) back to the world, and send a steady stream of evil energy and deeds to your patron gods to sup on and grow fat again. Dark, gallows humor should be the rule here.

Good ideas Flatline!

A few more ideas off-hand...

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
- craftable and customizable vehicles
- craftable and customizable weapons
- playable races: humans and sentient dinosaurs

Noir Murder Mystery
- using the Mafia 2 engine?
- episodic adventures
- detective (solo) or law-firm (group) gameplay
- solo or group play isn't forced. Game changes difficulty based on gamer's preferred play style.
- monthly story arcs ("Who shot so-and-so?! Stay tuned to next month's exciting adventure!")

Asheron's Call 2
- not a weird spin-off like the previous Asheron's Call: Fallen Kings or EverQuest 2
- all of AC1's existing content, lore, creatures, and so forth
- monthly story content patches
- gameplay enhancements
1. no classes
2. skill-based talents
3. easy skill resets
4. focused quests
5. lowered required xp (e.g. AC1 required XP to reach 63... 6,200,000 ?! :|)

MechWarrior Online
- life outside Mechs (trading, exploring, crafting, building structures, etc.)
- craftable and customizable mechs
- craftable and customizable weaponry
- craftable and customizable gear
- forced PVP with clan faction rep
- balance combat between mechs and humans (e.g. mechs have great range damage while humans have excellent close-range damage)

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2009, 18:56.

27. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 16:21 Flatline

B) We all want to stretch ourselves, but sometiems you just have to go back to doing what you do best. For Richard, that's Ultima. It's time for a new Ultima game - preferably single-player - or even co-op ala NWN. I'd even take UO2, but I'd prefer to see a classic, old school, single-player Ultima game once more.

How about this:

1. Episodic gameplay. I don't mean like Half-Life, I mean like a play session can be completed in 2-3 hours tops. Have 10-20 "episodes" where characters can come in and out of gameplay.

2. Co-Op gameplay designed up to 4 players. Have something as *cough* "robust" as xbox live's matchmaking system and/or buddy list, so that parties are automatically balanced out to progress through the game.

3. An editor set on par with NWN

4. A beta server where you can go and test new adventures written by the community, and then rate them. Every month, the top rated adventure (pending approval) is added to official game "canon" and everyone accesses it.

5. In lieu of 3 & 4, or possibly even in tandem, run with the "AI Director" idea from Left4Dead, and play with the balance and pacing.

6. If you're going with a fantasy level, please, for the love of god, do something other than your incredibly tired sword & sorcery. Or if you have to, I humbly suggest a setting called "Villains by Necessity". It takes place 500 years after the apocalypse, and good has triumphed and the world is an idyllic place of peace and harmony. The Dark Syndicate (a consortium of miscellaneous evil gods) use the last of their godly energy to corrupt a small handful of people to evil... the party. It is now the PCs job to go out and corrupt the world, bring evil (and hence balance) back to the world, and send a steady stream of evil energy and deeds to your patron gods to sup on and grow fat again. Dark, gallows humor should be the rule here.

26. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 15:54 Kxmode

If by "at some point" you mean the last three years, then yes... I played it at some point.  

25. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 15:47 Dmitri_M

I've cancelled my WOW account.

You played it at some point?!

24. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 15:14 Kxmode

I've cancelled my WOW account. I'm not going to play Blizzard's mindless gear tread game.  

23. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 10:32 Nameless Again

Why is he going back into gaming? I'd rather be a cum-astronaut; sounds like a you're a member of the 40-mile high club.  

22. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 04:15 Kedyn

I hope that he gets hired on at Blizzard and drives WoW into the ground like he's done to pretty much everything he has touched lately.  

21. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 2, 2009, 01:25 Lucas Bum

I hope he doesn't try to create another WOW. Man, I wish people would make original games and not try to copy WOW all the time.  

20. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 23:44 Raven

People seem to forget that NCsoft runs two of the largest MMOGs in the world, Lineage I/II. They have of course had some failures as of late but I myself give kudo's to them for trying to do something different and hope they'll hit upon a success before long.

The reason why people forget Lineage I/II because they are only successful in Korea, within Korea only. Outside of Korea, they are almost nothing. In the western market, CoH/CoV and Guildwars are the best titles for NCSoft.

Those titles are acquired by NCSoft, not developed by them. NCSoft has, so far, 3 released titles developed by them. That's Lineage I/II and Tabula Rasa. TR already failed. Lineage I is in an abysmal state in the western market. Lineage II is doing so so hanging at 100k sub.

They are banking everything they got on AION for the western market. If this title does not do well in the western market, they probably should just withdraw entirely from the western market and go back to Korea where they do well.

19. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 23:33 Creston

Sigh. It's cool that he wants to do another medieval fantasy, but it sucks that he wants to do online (by which I presume he means MMORPG.)

Otoh, a lot of the Ultima design success also came from a lot of the guys at Origin who helped him, and they've all gone and moved on, so I doubt we'll ever see the likes of an Ultima again.

Creston

18. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 22:24 Steele Johnson

I guess that space tour set him back quite a bit. It's back to work to pay the bills.  

17. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 21:52 Dmitri_M

We should all know by now that good games today generally don't come from "gaming celebrities".

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2009, 21:52.

16. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 21:15 agent_smith

Hum, there is a typo in your name, it should read "Jackass", kthxbai.  

15. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 21:00 Snapdad

You're just jealous because you haven't been to outer space yet.

14. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 19:55 Jackal

stop sucking up.

it was a publicity stunt to remove his name with the action of cancelling tabula rasa or whatever it was called.

He's not high and mighty, his old games are old and he has not created anything good lately.

UO2 being cancelled was the nail in his career's coffin.

13. No subject Jan 1, 2009, 19:55 wtf_man

Buy back the Ultima Underworld IP from EA (Not Ultima, Not Ulitma Online, but Ultima UNDERWORLD )... Get Warren Spector back from playing with "Mickey Mouse" shit... then BOTH of you go back to your ROOTS, and hire as much of the old Looking Glass / Blue Sky crew that you can... and come up with Ultima Underworld Online using a story oriented MMO engine, like the Hero Engine.

And maybe Richard and Warren could get a final masterpiece out.

12. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 19:06 Jerykk

I thought that steampunk stuff looked pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of generic fantasy and much prefer steampunk.  

11. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 18:50 The Half Elf

Did you ever see anything on UO2? It looked good until all the sci-fi/steampunk stuff in it.

If anything I'd like to see EA re-hire LB to finish up UO X or Origins or whatever that was shown a couple of years ago.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 18:24 z0dd

Ultima 11 or go back to your space ship, your choice.

Heh, dead on. Good one.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo