Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CCP May be Forced from Iceland

Icelanders' struggle to survive after banking collapse on The Guardian has a look at the impact of the current economic crisis on businesses in Iceland, a country where the economy has been particularly impacted. Word is CCP may be forced to move against its wishes: "On three shiny floors of a former fish factory is CCP, a company best known in computer gaming for Eve Online, which has 300,000 participants all over the world - as many inhabitants as Iceland itself. However, restrictions on access to foreign currency for individuals and businesses and on foreign investment into Iceland are making life difficult. "To make new games, we need foreign investors," says Eyjolfur Gudmundsson, formerly an assistant professor at the University of Akureyri, who supervises Eve's virtual economy. "The present currency restrictions are putting us in a straitjacket. We are in talks with the government, but if we can't let capital in, we might be compelled to leave Iceland, even though this would be against our wishes." Thanks Massively.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 27, 2008, 04:33 Parcivale

Good riddance. The sooner this corrupt company goes under the better.

CCP cheated in more than just the t20 incident. They have engaged in all sorts of shady game mechanic exploits. They were also engaged in rigging events

I know people who WERE affected by these scandals and having looked at the evidence, it's clear CCP will do and say anything up to and including smearing those that blew the whistle. They claimed the whistle blower for the t20 cheating was lying...then belatedly came out to say actually that there was cheating and that they had known it all along.

I play a game to be entertained, not to have developers entertain themselves by cheating at my expense

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 24, 2008, 18:28 CreamyBlood

Maybe Obama help will pull them out of the ditch. We can only hope at this point.

And Merry Christmas to you too!

13. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 24, 2008, 04:59 Cutter

If you cheat, whether in a virtual economy or a real one you get screwed. Iceland is a small country that lived on credit. Effectively it lived on money that it didnt have and which by all accounts doesnt even exist.

Uh, are you talking about America or Iceland here? America exists solely on credit. And when - not if - OPEC adopts the euro and kicks the U.S. dollar to the curb, America is going to be looking a lot more like Mexico. The rich will be rich, the middle-class will just make the move down to poor - which has been happening on a gradual slide for the last 30 years anyway. When China and everyone else decides not to loan anymore money to the U.S. then the fun will really begin. My prediction will be a parallel to Hitler's germany in 1933 - massive industrialization predicated on a war machine without any necessary wars - which will be started to justify all that military spending. The future IS bleak.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 17:16 MrBone

haha, nice one sugarman. I had a hell of a laugh when one of the BoB elite said that during their ass kicking a while back. Of course, they would never be driven from the game...it is their life. Sad.  

11. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 17:00 Sugarman

I heard that Goonfleet was taking over their space so now they are fleeing to the USA "Empire". I heard one of their exec's say "We didn't want to be based in that country anyway", he then promptly walked away mumbling under his breath "there are no goons".  

10. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 16:43 PacoTaco

I have had a plenty of sleep! I am really happy Blues lets me vent the truth about something that gets censored and removed on the CCP forums.

Did I say they are cock smokers enough?

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2008, 16:44.

9. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 16:10 BubbleMage

Wow. I'm no huge fan of CCP, but I think PacoTaco may need a little nap...  

8. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 14:37 PacoTaco

Burn baby BURN... Reason for the Record was all the free 5 day subs they are sending out so they can make a press release.

As stated before CCP play their own game, cheating as much as they can get away with, source code was released, CCP employees were caught cheating t20 scandal, Tower exploit recently discovered which they have been using for years, on and on and on.

I have personally witnessed CCP devs on the server helping their own people out "friends of CCP" when trapped and locked down by paying players, this is not bs 20 of us watched this happen, then were all muted for hours when we kept screaming about it in local, we created petitions, they were all closed by the dev that did the move, he took a ship that was about to be destroyed worth billions with cargo and moved it to a safe system.

We had this ship and person locked down for 4 days, every day about 5 minutes before down time he would log in and attempt to get his ship out of trouble, we all responded as soon as he logged in, and kept him down, beating on him until logged again, then on the 4th day a dev came into the system in an indestructible ship as we had the entry gate camped it was pretty cool at first, he was talking to us, then we realized why he was there when the person logged in and he froze us in space, and watched as the ship was moved out of the system, we all lost our shit over him helping out someone he knew, he then threatened to ban us for profanity if we kept it up, and muted us all for hours, so we couldn't say anything.

It's all about Karma, they do bad things to people with the small amount of power they have and in turn that evil comes back on them. They are drunk cock smokers that deserve nothing less then pure karmic justice.

Do not take my word for it, watch this years Fan Fest videos, watch as the devs describe the new features and can't explain why they did these changes, watch them lie again about the time line for the release of Tech 3 and Walking in Stations to keep the few subscribers they have.

All the nerfs, who makes major changes to a combat system from the ground up 5 years after release? CCP did, as I look at the forums I see thousands of comments about the speed, and missile nerfs alone and people who love the game begging them to fix things that have been broken for years.

Eat a bag of Icelandic Dicks CCP while you can afford them!

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2008, 14:44.

7. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 12:17 Tumbler

I really wish people would get over themselves and all this bitterness at a company that made a compelling game that people are obviously still playing and enjoying.

In Truth, I do still wish I could play the game but when you are building a character up and waiting for weeks, months even, to finish skills needed to train other skills you need, it doesn't feel like you're really "playing the game".

I'd be more interested in playing this game again if they offered accelerated training up to a point for newer characters. I think I played the game again for 2 months...possibly 3? And in that time I spent all my time just trying to build the fundamentals of my char so he could learn at a reasonable pace.

Missions that awarded early skills sets completely would be helpful. Like the learning skills, advanced learning skills and basic ship command skills. Those take weeks to get going and during that time you can't do much. They could just give starting characters more skills, but I think it would work better to have them tied to missions that new players can do. Maybe train the skills to lvl 4, instead of lvl 5.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 07:56 DG

If you cheat, whether in a virtual economy or a real one you get screwed. Iceland is a small country that lived on credit. Effectively it lived on money that it didnt have and which by all accounts doesnt even exist
That's pretty much most economies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_current_account_balance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt
(not that wiki is reliable, but convenient)

Iceland's deficit:GDP is less than half of the US (according to that anyway).

I don't know much about the place but my understanding is that:
The first problem is a combination of the bank's dominance on the economy and those bank's exposure to the crisis.

The second is the way they went about the borrowing: as shown in the article, individuals borrowed in foreign currency. Usually in the west individuals borrow from a local bank in the local currency, the bank lends with money borrowed some domestically and some foreign - but the bank takes the currency risk and are generally pretty good at managing it. Situation is similar with government borrowing.

So they get hit pretty bad with the credit crunch so the currency dives, but they're so exposed to the currency diving that it dives some more. Instead of institutions bearing the brunt, individuals also directly take the hit.

5. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 07:52 Slashman

I really wish people would get over themselves and all this bitterness at a company that made a compelling game that people are obviously still playing and enjoying.

Big newsflash: They aren't perfect. One incident gets mixed up with hate and forum griefing and suddenly everyone is an expert at what really happens behind the scenes at CCP and how they are suddenly the evil overlords of MMOs.

I played EVE for more than 2 years and none of that stuff affected me. And indeed most of the other people I played with.

Most of you people posting anti-CCP slag don't even know if worse than this is happening in the games you DO play and trust.

4. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 07:44 MachineMk2

maybe 50,000 with 6 alts each.  

3. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 05:03 InBlack

If you cheat, whether in a virtual economy or a real one you get screwed. Iceland is a small country that lived on credit. Effectively it lived on money that it didnt have and which by all accounts doesnt even exist.

How ironic that CCP a company that effectively creates and then sells virtual currency for real money should be affected by this.

I just dont get it. They create this wonderful world, and then they proceed to treat their general populace like stupid trash.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2008, 05:04.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 03:42 Ginny

Indeed.

What, a month ago, the same guy was telling how ccp were totaly uneffected by any of the crisis type situation in their home country.

Sets the tone for the rest of it realy.

Call that BS, id also call the "300,000" figure absolute BS, the last recorded statement was 250k, there's been abosolutely no massive jump in people logging in to support that increased number.

Yes they broke their record login number on sunday with the most perfect set of circumstances to suit (hoildays, week before christmas, weather ect)

But it's worth remembering that it was a year that day they set that record, and to ONLY beat it by 1000 (despite having nearly 100 THOUSAND, more active accounts)

Well according to them anyway.

*cough

BS

1. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 01:15 Aero

Damn. Those guys just can't catch a break.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo