Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well we had our first major snow of the season yesterday, there was probably about six inches on the ground when I shoveled, and it looks like I have a little follow-up shoveling to do today for what fell overnight. I was very pleased with getting to shovel our new sidewalk, as having an unbroken surface to clear makes things a lot easier than our old broken up walkway, though while this makes the process less aggravating, it doesn't make it effort-free, as I managed to get a blister on my thumb through my heavy winter gloves. Actually, that's probably more a tribute to my girly callous-free hands as anything, so I should probably have just kept that detail to myself.

Calloused Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Armed with Wings 2.
Sonny 2. Thanks Jay is Games.
Mind Cards.
Links: 7 games set up for sequels that never came.
Stories: People 'still willing to torture'.
NASA looks for places to display retired space shuttles.
Science: Shocking study finds most will torture if ordered. "We do what we're told."
Nasa finds 'missing' Mars mineral. NASA!
Fossils Show Dinosaurs As Stay-at-Home Dads. Thanks brother19.
Media: Household Video Games.
Nerd Bird.
Chuck Norris Pwnage.
Follow-ups: The $54 million pants suit unravels again.
Hopes dashed for Tasmanian Devils.
Palestinian Family Offers Shoe-Throwing Reporter a Bride. Thanks brother19.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2008, 15:06 Dan =0)

A hernia, a skipped-out roommate, other roommate going on Friday to his parents' until after the new year, my 31st birthday last night, and all the while recently... SNOWSNOWSNOWSNOW. >:( hernia makes it difficult to shovel...

god dammit. Okay, neighbors came over late last night at my place and played beer pong in PJs... was fun.

Other than that, major suck.

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2008, 11:17 brother19

Well, 18 inches of snow from Fri. pm to Sun. am, then 5-9 more expected today, followed by high winds, and this, the shortest day of the year. Come on up and help shovel, Blue !

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2008, 11:19.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2008, 08:10 osage no onna

I don't know how anyone can find it "shocking" that people are happy to do such things. Do they not follow the news?

Watching the BBC documentary Five Steps to Tyranny should be required of anyone wanting to live as part of society.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 18:12 Charlie_Six

The Milgram experiment was mentioned several times in my various classes. I was told that the experiment wouldn't be carried out again though for ethical reasons. I kinda wish it would be carried out again exactly, or maybe even taken further.

Also, the Reuters article said there was "no difference" between the volunteers willingness to "shock" people. That seems odd/new because I distinctly remember being told that Roman Catholics were the least willing to shock people to the extreme levels back in 61.

I also thought the Reuters article neglected to focus on what the Milgram experiment was really supposed to demonstrate. That people will do evil things if they have an authority figure present that will take the blame. There are videos of the Milgram experiment where the volunteer is saying "Look, I'll press this button but YOU have to accept all the blame, OK?" to the "scientist" next to them. The scientist then says "Yes, I'll take the blame" and then the volunteer proceeds to "shock" the victim.

It was supposed to demonstrate stuff like why German guards in a Holocaust camp did what they did. To me, the Reuters article didn't really focus on the whole authority aspect... it just seems to say "people will torture people!"

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2008, 18:19.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 16:51 mag

That is not torture though. It is a controlled experiment, they know it. It is also just pain. While pain sucks, they were not causing actual physical damage. Pain is temporary. Damage is not.

This by no means in any way shape or form is torture.

torture
1 a: anguish of body or mind : agony b: something that causes agony or pain
2: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure

The article is kind of vague as to how much pain the shockers think the shockees are in, in this study, but in the original one that it is mimicking they were absolutely taking it to levels that they should have associated with torture (the subject screaming in pain, begging for it to stop, and IIRC eventually ceasing to respond).

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 16:09 Cutter

Man, it was a freakin blizzard out yesterday, with more to come tonight and all this week. At least it's gonna be a white Xmas, very white.

BTW that Chuck Norris Pwnage is fuckin' funny as hell!!! Almost pissed my pants laughing, "Chuck Norris doesn't need mushrooms." I gotta play that game!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 15:06 Enahs

That is not torture though. It is a controlled experiment, they know it. It is also just pain. While pain sucks, they were not causing actual physical damage. Pain is temporary. Damage is not.

This by no means in any way shape or form is torture.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 14:37 shul

dupes on blues?

people are still willing to torture while a shocking study finds most will torture if ordered?

(I didn't RTFA so maybe its not)

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2008, 13:27 xXBatmanXx

Due to get 6-8 today, about 2-3 already down.

BRING ON THE ACCIDENTS!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo