Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Price Drop Dec 18, 2008, 13:33 Cyanotetyphas

I know it exists, I just dont think the kind of person who bought an arcade would buy it.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Price Drop Dec 18, 2008, 09:50 nin

Also, I don't think the legendary "casual gamer" would have the know how to buy a refurbished hard drive.

You mean right here?
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/hddoffer/default.htm

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Price Drop Dec 17, 2008, 23:19 Cyanotetyphas

You might have a point that all you need is game saving space but I would argue that the bottom xbox SKU and the bottom ps3 aren't really competing for the same dollar.

Also, I don't think the legendary "casual gamer" would have the know how to buy a refurbished hard drive.

11. Re: Price Drop Dec 17, 2008, 22:11 The Half Elf

Or maybe the Arcade version actually has space on it to load the NXE, and even a few saved games. Then again they are offering refurbished hard drives for 20 bucks. Perfect for the casual gamers out there.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Price Drop Dec 17, 2008, 21:41 Cyanotetyphas

I don't really see why Sony should be forced to respond to microsoft pushing a gimped SKU to catch cheap people who don't know any better into buying an arcade with no HD.

As far as Home, I'm echoing the sentiment that its not really a game. It's not good or bad, its just something to mess around in.

9. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 20:29 ldonyo

Didn't take long for Home to get hacked, did it?  

8. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 19:28 space captain

Sony really screwed up with the issue of no price drop this season.

lucky for me since im gonna put mine up on Ebay

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 17:36 Krovven

There have been so many PC games to play I have barely touched my PS3 lately except for coop Little Big Planet.

I checked out the Home closed beta when I was given an invite...it's interesting...but why would I use it? I haven't looked at the official release beta yet...one day. I thought there was supposed to be a 2d interface as well (akin to Xbox Live)...haven't heard if that is available or not.

Sony really screwed up with the issue of no price drop this season. I said this back when they confirmed there would be no price drop this holiday for the PS3...and November sales proved that. They've hooped themselves big time, and it'll be a tough road for them to have even a chance of catching up in system sales.

Still the best machine on the market in my opinion, but the next couple of years are going to be very tough for them I think.

6. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 16:12 SpectralMeat

Home isn't that bad, I think it's getting bad press because everyone sees it as a "game" which it's not. It's a social networking application that has activities inside of it. Granted, most people in home are idiots who are running around spouting dumbass comments or just dancing, but there are a few who are sitting (or standing) around chatting it up.

I think the intent is to have a virtual LAN party where you can launch games with your group of friends, or (theoretically) share a movie between them. I think Home is on the cusp of either being pretty cool or being shit; if Sony applies their resources it could be good.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that people are quick to discount it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 13:29 CrimsonPaw

Home isn't that bad, I think it's getting bad press because everyone sees it as a "game" which it's not. It's a social networking application that has activities inside of it. Granted, most people in home are idiots who are running around spouting dumbass comments or just dancing, but there are a few who are sitting (or standing) around chatting it up.

I think the intent is to have a virtual LAN party where you can launch games with your group of friends, or (theoretically) share a movie between them. I think Home is on the cusp of either being pretty cool or being shit; if Sony applies their resources it could be good.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that people are quick to discount it.

~~Crim~~

4. Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 12:29 Tumbler

Seeing how this whole Home thing has turned out for the PS3...I'm stumped why this didn't can this thing a long time ago.

The penny-arcade comments about it's full release told me everything I need to know about it.

The Beta for Playstation home is now available to everyone, and now you know what I know: this is what happens when your marketing department tries to make a game. Here is everything you need to understand about Home, if you should accidentally launch it from your XMB: press and hold the Playstation button in the center of your Dual-Shock or Sixaxis controller. From the menu that appears, select Quit.

I don't know what kind of crack these guys were smoking but why on earth didn't they just create a little stupid room that each console would be able to decorate with trophies earned, and other misc stuff?

Would be like a 3d trophy room that gamers could look at. Like a doll house for boys. 360 players get to look at a list of achievements, ps3 players get to load a 3d room that resembles some NFL stars bachelor pad on cribs.

What the fuck is this shit they came up with!?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: EA told off for using 360 footage in adv Dec 17, 2008, 12:29 TheLeech

Don't think of "broadcast standard" as some technical standard. It basically means it looks like crap, which one might expect of the Wii. They used 360 footage because it looks better. By using 360 in-game footage with video of Tiger using the Wii controller, they've created a classic bait-and-switch advertisement.

Edit: To clarify, bait-and-switch isn't the correct term. It's simple misrepresentation.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2008, 12:31.

2. Re: EA told off for using 360 footage in adv Dec 17, 2008, 11:55 Narf2029

With all the money EA spends on advertising, why would anyone believe that weak excuse about the Wii footage not being "broadcast standard" or whatever?  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. EA told off for using 360 footage in adv Dec 17, 2008, 09:52 LittleMe

Interesting to see how eurogamer.net belittles the issue of deception in advertising from EA. Who pays Eurogamer's pay checks I wonder? Also obvious is gameindustry.biz's bias.

Those subtle tricks companies use in commercials about what we are getting are misleading indeed! We need a watchdog entity like the Advertising Standards Authority to keep on these issues. Good work ASA!

EA will spend a lot of money dumbing a game down to a low denominator for the masses, but then the commercial promoting the game intentionally makes John-q-public's choice more complicated.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2008, 10:02.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo