Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero

Stage Select has an excerpt from a rambling chat session between Axl Rose and some fans on the mygnrforum.com touching on a number of topics. The point of interest here is his perspective on the participation of former Guns N Roses guitarist Slash in Guitar Hero III and the game's use of Welcome to the Jungle, which he implies may not have been properly sorted out as far as licensing goes. Here's the somewhat disjointed comment:

"It doesnít bother me unless itís being done at my expense and or to keep him associated as in Guitar Hero. Him being Guitar Heroís fine but not when Activison in using Jungle, having Yahoo use Sweet Child unauthorized, claims no involvement with Slash, his or anyoneís image or VR or anyone or anyoneís music in either camp in promotion or commercials etc. I wasnít broadsided. I read about it as it moved along but Activision continually denied it right up to the release. Thatís some low life chicanery on all their parts.

Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole I came to him for his riff is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs) and he has rights to perform it but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they werenít granted the license itíll take some sorting.

Universal has Guns under contract but I own the name.

I donít have problems with whoever doing the songs but film or video gets into sync rights and I donít have an interest in anyone new, old or whatever trying to sell themselves as GNR under another name that way."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Feb 10, 2013, 16:22 Blackhawk

I donít have problems with whoever doing the songs

There. He released them into the public domain. Problem solved, and thanks, Axl!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 22:47 Lincolns Mullet

I imagine Axl doesn't use computers much which is why his post runs together like a thought. All I could picture was him with his head buried in the keyboard, trying to find each letter and plucking them slowly until he was done...looked up, realized it sounded like shit, but then said "F it" because it took him 2 hours to write it the first time.  

13. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 20:44 z0dd

JUST GIVE US 'WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE' AND 'PARADISE CITY' IN ROCK BAND!!! AND HURRY!!!!  

12. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 11:04 CrimsonPaw

Well, rumor has it that Chinese Democracy is coming to Rock Band; it's possible that Axl wants to bring all the Gn'R songs over but since Activision now has Jungle he's not going to be able to port over all the most popular ones.

Hell, give me the Illusion albums on RB and I'll be happy. I though Appetite was OK, but Illusion was much, much better (except for "My World").

Edit: It seems there's some missing punctuation in the quote that would REALLY clear it up. After reading Lincoln's comment below and then re-reading the quote it makes more sense.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2008, 11:07.

~~Crim~~

11. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 10:10 InBlack

Im getting really tired of listening to these tirades coming from this tired, fat and grumpy old man.  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 09:50 Fartacus

It's pretty simple what he said. He owns the Guns and Roses name, so therefore nobody can play/make money under that name unless he gives permission to. Slash can play any GNR song he wants, as anyone can play anyone's song, but once he plays it under the GNR name it's not legal. It'd be like if Dave Grohl started touring and making money as the band "Nirvana".

Oh come on, everyone knows that Dave Grohl was the real brains behind Nirvana. That dude that blew his head off with a shotgun was a no talent hack.

9. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 08:24  dsmart 

I really SHOULD know better than to read ANY thread on Blues that involves stars, drugs and rock 'n roll.

These responses are frigging hilarious. Drugs indeed.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

8. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 05:23 Shooman

That's just so...deep.

It's beyond what us mere non-musical folks can understand.

Dogs however know exactly what he's on about.

7. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 02:53 Cutter

Axl getting a wee bit Lars Ulrich on there asses.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 17, 2008, 00:13 danebramage

He owns the Guns and Roses name, so therefore nobody can play/make money under that name unless he gives permission to. Slash can play any GNR song he wants, as anyone can play anyone's song, but once he plays it under the GNR name it's not legal
Yeah, but you're not understanding that like if Slash does then the band isn't what the contract stated in the name Guns. I think not therefore I am not, y'know? It's like when McCartney did Fields except he wasn't involved in Guitar Hero where all these inferior beings in tinfoil hats taking potshots at Axl's big belly. Fuck Jack Thompson.

5. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 16, 2008, 23:10 Techie714 ©

It's pretty simple what he said. He owns the Guns and Roses name, so therefore nobody can play/make money under that name unless he gives permission to. Slash can play any GNR song he wants, as anyone can play anyone's song, but once he plays it under the GNR name it's not legal. It'd be like if Dave Grohl started touring and making money as the band "Nirvana".

Thanks for clearing that up. =)

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 16, 2008, 23:07 D4rkKnight

This is why drugs are bad for you, Mmkay?  

3. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 16, 2008, 23:01 Lincolns Mullet

2. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 16, 2008, 22:38 eDave

No kidding. What the hell did he just say?  

1. Re: Axl Rose on GnR in Guitar Hero Dec 16, 2008, 22:22 Wildone

yea and you know its like whatever and then I did? Yes/no totally true that I said that didn't not  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo