Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: where's the beef? Dec 17, 2008, 22:49 space captain

ice ice baby  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. where's the beef? Dec 15, 2008, 20:28 space captain

the 80s called, they want it back

then the 90s called and wanted this back

Go forth, and kill!

7. A game has never made me cry Dec 15, 2008, 19:45 Creston

But shit sure got a little dusty when Auron "dies" at the end of FF10, and my wife was bawling when Yuna was left standing there looking at the water, but Tidus is not going to come back.

Damn that ending fucking sucked.

Creston

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 19:07 PHJF

It's scripted. All games are scripted. The player is bound by the system and unable to make decisions that weren't fully intended to be made by the developers.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2008, 19:07.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 19:04 Kosumo

Derek Smarts games can make you eyes weep Computer Cry  

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 17:36 Cyanotetyphas

While it might be a duh moment to you, I think its actually an interesting point. Despite being interactive most game-play itself does not trigger strong emotions. The only counter example I can think of is the rare times when you are forced to pull the trigger yourself on a main character(well done in the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 and the Darkness). And even then, the emotional attachment was built up by narrative, not by interaction.

Actually this makes me remember that part of the Darkness where you just sit on the couch with Jenny, if you choose to. Maybe we're getting closer to proving this guy wrong after all.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 15:16 PHJF

Movies have never made me cry, either... crying's for pussies. Everybody knows that.

However, both games and movies have made me both smile and laugh. Which is all that matters.

Article is rubbish anyways.

Games (under the systems view) cannot make you cry. Videogame titles can include narrative material that makes you cry, but no-one can claim to be surprised that a story can make you cry. Barring some serious change in what constitutes a videogame, the only way they are ever going to make you cry is via their narrative elements, and never by their game elements.

dduuuhhh no shit.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 12:37 Tim

Ha, reminds me of this review

http://www.manifestogames.com/peacemaker

Crying

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 09:37 Reactor

Bad games make me cry.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.