Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
37. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2008, 07:23  dsmart 

@ Prez

As far as your point about legality, there is no gray area; what I do is illegal by any definition. However, I am much more interested in the morality of what I do. In my view, to download and use something without paying for it is immoral. To download something for my own personal use (NOT for giving to others) after I have paid for it is not. My personal guiding light in this matter is not copyright law, but "Fair Use"; that is to say I only use products for which the creator is properly compensated. Because I give the creator of the item exactly what they ask for, my conscience is clear even if I break the law through my choices in mitigating my own risk.

Oh I fully understand your position and point. No question about it. In fact, it is no different than people buying music on iTunes (I'm an AmazonMP3* man myself since there is *no* DRM) and then finding ways to strip the DRM and use their music on other players, computers etc. There is always a justification for trying to uphold "Fair Use", but when you think DMCA, all bets are off.

In fact, the law does allow for making copies of your owned purchase for personal use only. Of course if you don't know how to make those copies - due to the DRM - then you have to seek out someone else's copy that has the work done for you. Thats where the pirates come in.

tbh, as a gamer and game developer, I am torn by the whole thing. As I've said before, I have yet to meet a single game developer who favors DRM. Frankly it is more trouble than its worth.

The problem is that one would hope that more people buy PC games so that the piracy is lessened to the status of "acceptable loss" like the low piracy numbers of console games. But thats not going to happen because the international presence of PC games means that they will always be pirated and thus - in the absence of robut DRM - the piracy numbers will remain constant.

The only way that piracy on the PC is going to be lessened is when all games move to a client/server authentication model. Not the SecuROM or Starforce model btw, since you can bypass that by just cracking the authentication from the executable and bypass the server check entirely. Which is exactly what is happening now.

@ Tumbler

The whole experience playing games on the 360, start to finish, is superior to the PC in my opinion. And has been for some time now.

Whoa!! Them's fighting words!!! Wot? u trying to start a riot or something?

The PC has some strengths that I wish the consoles would incorporate, but if it comes down to the 360 having a better all around product for the price. Plus rentals makes it so easy to try games without dropping $60.

Indeed, but the console is woefully inferior to the PC. The saving grace for the console is that when targeting a specific platform, you can do more with less. The reality is that the PC will always be years and generations ahead of the console in many ways.

In fact, get this, we as developers can ALL develop console games that will run on the PC in near exactly on the console. In fact, we do that all the time during XBox development since there are certain software and hardware criteria that you can adhere to in order to somewhat emulate the console (in this case the XBox360) on a PC.

e.g.

(i) we can stick with 1280x720 WS resolution, ignoring the fact that the PC can go up to insane resolutions

(ii) restrict memory usage by allocating and using a single segmented pool of RAM and VRAM, ignoring the fact that the PC has more of both than any console

(iii) restrict controls to analog gamepads or the XBox360 Controller For Windows, ignoring the fact that the PC has the benefit of a joystick, mouse, keyboard

(iv) restrict the number of audio channels ignoring the fact that a typical PC audio card has almost twice the number of audio channels than a console.

...the list goes on but you get the picture.

The issue is that when you DO that - as some have in the past - there is an outcry from gamers yelling about bad ports, consolified PC games etc. Why? Because they expect us to cater to the PC's "strengths" in terms of audio, video, ram, controls and gameplay experience.

No game developer wants to spend four to six months porting a console game to the PC when we can just spend a month two to port the exact same game to the PC in a near "as-as" fashion. Especially when the end result is that it would never pay off financially.

The truth of the matter is that the number of worldwide PC games eclipses that of console games. Plus there are those who would much rather play on the PC than on the console. You can't ignore those numbers. Hence the reason that PC gaming is still going strong.

@ wowTIP

It might help if you'd try to make your point without injecting insane analogies into the discussion. They shouldn't be necessary, and if you've got a point to make, they simply distract from it.

As usual, you come up with your special brand of nonsensical commentary.

There was nothing insane about it. Because someone can't wrap their brains around it, just means that they are at a different level of understanding and comprehension. Nobody is perfect I know, but my point was clear and those who understood it, understood it quite well.

The fact is, you aren't less of the common whole just because you don't satisfy all the criteria that are a part of said whole. Now go wrap your head around that.

@ Jeryk

I already beat the game like a week ago but I liked it so I bought it. As I've stated repeatedly, I buy the games I like. Does that make me a gamer..?

Again, you missed the point I was trying to make Jeryk. Just because you buy one or two games, but steal others you'd rather not buy, doesn't make you any less a thieving pirate than the person who steals ALL their games.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2008, 07:28.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 13, 15:12 PC Game Piracy Examined  dsmart 
  2. Dec 13, 15:22  Re: PC Game Piracy Examined ldonyo
  5. Dec 13, 18:04   Re: PC Game Piracy Examined Yifes
  16. Dec 14, 09:57   Re: PC Game Piracy Examined  dsmart 
  17. Dec 14, 11:44    Re: PC Game Piracy Examined WarPig
  3. Dec 13, 15:59  Re: PC Game Piracy Examined Bone43
  4. Dec 13, 16:57   Re: PC Game Piracy Examined PHJF
  6. Dec 13, 18:40 Re: Op Ed 4D-Boxing
  7. Dec 13, 20:02  Re: Op Ed Jerykk