Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Exploit

Scrapheap Challenge outlines a bug in EVE Online that was apparently exploited for over four years, though a report on Winterblink.com says they believe what is being called the "Starbase Exploit" has now been fixed. The bug allowed players in the sci-fi MMOG to reuse resources over and over in manufacturing items, with a staggering financial impact on the game and its population described as 2.5 to 3 trillion ISK (not sure what that translates to in real money). Word is this problem was reported more than once over the years, and not addressed, a surprising turn of events from a game that boasts its own professional economist. A post on the EVE Online Website states they are now on top of this, but CCP indicates the issue was only brought to their attention days ago, though they say even that much of a delay before looking into this was "far longer" than they can accept. They have discovered seven corporations exploiting the bug, and have banned over 70 accounts. Going forward they say: "We are still conducting operations to deal with this matter and we will keep you posted on the progress and results as things develop." EVE Online is no stranger to scandal, as early last year it was revealed that some of the game's developers were using their insider positions to gain advantage in the game. Thanks Massively.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 12, 2008, 08:13 InBlack

The people that were actually doing this were developers or friends of developers.  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 23:22 Ginny

"They have discovered seven corporations exploiting the bug, and have banned over 70 accounts"

Seriously, why bother, everybody knows of those 70 accounts they will only be 3rd/4th/5th account alt's.

The people that actualy did this will still be playing eve, minus 1 or 2 accounts maybe:(

17. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 22:20 necrosis

Mostly off topic: Is Final Fantasy XI Online any good? Not sure why, but I'm always tempted to try it.

Its good but even being a big fan myself and having played sinse PC NA day one... the game is really not in a state for someone to start playing it now from scratch.

SE has made no effort to do changes to existing content to make it eaiser for new players at this time. The game is very heavy ended (most players 1-5 id say on average have lvl 75 charters [FFXI's level cap]) making 'from scratch' players have a very hard time doing anything.

This sums a lot of it up: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10;mid=1227390596223052785;num=204;page=1

I love the game. I have fun in it. But no way would I recommended someone starting the game at this point unless they started with at least 5 other friends to get things done.

16. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 20:53 Rilcon

The whole developer-guild collusion scandal brings their reputation into question. I can't say whether this bug has anything to do with their demonstrated corruption, but ultimately it doesn't matter. CCP have already proved they are not to be trusted.

Yes, a company of 400 employees can't be trusted because a handful of people that no longer work there anymore at one point cheated.

:-/

15. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 20:40 dubfanatic

Some really ridiculous statements here. Those making the corrupt charge, how about some proof? You can't because you have none.

The whole developer-guild collusion scandal brings their reputation into question. I can't say whether this bug has anything to do with their demonstrated corruption, but ultimately it doesn't matter. CCP have already proved they are not to be trusted.

14. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 20:05 Rilcon

That this sort of thing can have an impact on the game for everyone is one of the big reasons I play EVE and smile while I'm at it.  

13. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 19:04 the_culture

Can't tell you how many exploits we've fixed in our game

Mind saying what game you worked on?

Mostly off topic: Is Final Fantasy XI Online any good? Not sure why, but I'm always tempted to try it.

12. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 18:55 Ozmodan

Some really ridiculous statements here. Those making the corrupt charge, how about some proof? You can't because you have none.

Not marginalizing this bug they found, it was massive and been going on for some time. I am not making excuses for CCP, but they allow a very open game which tends to make it very hard to detect problems like this.

Still one of the best MMO's out there despite the occassional problems.

11. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 18:12 dubfanatic

No, it's my honest opinion, formed from the way CCP have conducted themselves over the years. Not only that, but it's an opinion that I share with many others here. Just because someone says something you disagree with doesn't make them a troll.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 18:14.

10. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 17:55 Kxmode

haha, this game is a joke. CCP are a bunch of clowns.

Troll

9. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 17:54 Kxmode

Security Index: 0.0  

8. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 17:14 MrBone

CCP is known to be as corrupt an MMO operator as they come. They had a dude working with BoB for years and when everyone found out, they still kept the guy!! What does this mean? It means that all of them were doing it. Scumbags. Too bad, the game was a lot of fun.  

7. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 15:45 dubfanatic

haha, this game is a joke. CCP are a bunch of clowns.

6. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 15:28 Ruffiana

Being someone who actually works on an MMO, this kind of stuff happens all the time. Just because it's common knowledge to thousands of players in a pool of hundreds of thousands to millions of players does not mean that it's common knowledge to the devs.

Everyone just assumes that if they bug something in game that bug goes straight to the email of the lead designer or lead programmer who reads it a few hours later and then pointedly ignores it for one reason or the other.

Bugs go to QA, along with hundreds of other bugs every hour. There's a huge backlog of bug reports that QA has to dig through, digest, replicate, put into tracking software, pass back to the devs, etc. The process is tediously slow and ancillary to the other dutites of QA which is to test new content as well as the pre-existing.

Can't tell you how many exploits we've fixed in our game days or even hours after we found out about them...exploits that had been in game for up to years at a time. Most of them were things that many players knew about and either A)didn't bother letting us know because it benefited them or B)just assumed we already know cause they filled out some bug report one time.

If you're an MMO player, don't assume that the devs know about every single bug or exploit in the game just because you and your buddies do.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 15:32.

5. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 14:44 KezClone

If it's been in the game since the start, and they still consider the game relatively "balanced", just incorporate it into the game as a publicized feature and polish it and move on.

4. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 14:02 necrosis

Sounds like a dupe bug that was in FFXI for over a year before SE did anything about it and claimed "we just found out about it".

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 14:02.

3. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 13:55 JohnBirshire

I wouldn't be surprised if this exploit simply existed and wasn't fixed for years because the developer's own corporations were the ones abusing it. Once it became publicized, NOW they are taking action.

2. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 12:02 PacoTaco

Avoid Eve, like stated in previous posts, my 3 years ended last night as my last account expired. CCP can eat a bag of dicks, this is only more proof on how badly the manage the game. The last patch removed whole ships classes being useful and weapons that take 6 months to train for, they had a good game that was fun, but they have "balanced" it right out of it being worth paying for or wasting time on.

Former hardcore player of Eve!

1. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 11:59 Chain

2-3 trillion isk is the current guess.

Current guesses are: ~42,000+ USD, give or take, for the game time alone.

(1 year of play time is about $150 a year, which can be purchased through ISK->Game Time transfers, so assuming all 70 characters had their time payed for by the exploit, thats ($150 * 70) * 4 = ~42,000 USD)

This is not including the extra money (ISK) made through the exploit which was used for other purposes such as high end asset purchases etc.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 12:07.

One more thing: As a rough guide, 300 Million ISK (the in game currency) will buy you 30 days of play time. So you could argue that 300 Million ISK is worth about $15 USD in real money.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo