Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled

IGN has an interview with Jeff Gardiner, offering details and screenshots for previously revealed plans for downloadable content for Fallout 3, Bethesda Softworks' RPG sequel. The first release, Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage, will come early next year via Xbox LIVE and Windows LIVE, centering around a computer simulation of the liberation of Anchorage, an important part of the Fallout canon (since you can see the ruins of Russia from the ruins of Alaska). Setting it in a simulation permits Bethesda to put the player in this scenario from Fallout's past, and also allows them to strip the player of weapons and items to create specific rules for how the scenario is handled. The add-on will include a new perk as well as new weapons, armor, and achievements, and will offer 4-5 hours of gameplay, with the price listed as 800 MS points (ten dollars). They also touch on the two pieces of DLC to follow, the second is called The Pitt, set in Pittsburgh, and the third, Broken Steel, will increase the level cap and will allow players to continue exploring the wasteland after the completion of the main quest along with its new content. Here's a description of Operation Anchorage: "The Chinese red army is everywhere, and the player will first have to secure the surrounding mountain side and then fight their way into the Chinese base. The player will have to use a lot of their standard combat skills, along with several new tools that will only be available in the downloadable content. These include interactive Strike Teams under the player's command and unique armor, weapons, and other exotic gadgets." When asked about fixes for known bugs, Jeff says a patch will be released before the DLC.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 12, 2008, 09:33 Surf

Just like Oblivion I will pirate all the add ons (I bought the lunch box day one) and wait for an all inclusive GOTY version in about 1 year.

I just cannot justify this nickle and dime tactic and didn't byte on it with Oblivion. Bethesda, and others, are so fucking guilty of milking this shit. Ultimately you wind up buying the game twice and that is just shit to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 12, 2008, 07:28 Armengar

you dont need dog armour with setessential

Then again Charon is lugging my spare power armour (again with setessential, he's lugging it NOT wearing it)

They had blimps to fly didnt they? If they can power microfusion rifles and plasma rifles then im sure they can fly a blimp or gyrocopter

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2008, 07:29.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

28. Re: Sigh Dec 12, 2008, 02:49 Cutter

Pittsburgh? How is my character going to get to Pittsburgh? Take a fucking plane?

There are aerial and other vehicles in the FO universe. If not, walk.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 12, 2008, 02:32 Karnisov

and so horse armor comes to the fallout franchise. how sad. glad i didn't waste my money on Oblivion with Guns oops i mean Fallout 3, and GOG is selling fallout 1 & 2 for $5 each. bethesda, stop spoiling great franchises that other studios started. please.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

26. Sigh Dec 11, 2008, 20:38 Creston

Why on earth would I play a simulation with my character, when it will contribute absolutely nothing TO my character?

Pittsburgh? How is my character going to get to Pittsburgh? Take a fucking plane?

And then, finally, with the THIRD DLC you're going to remove that uber irritating level cap (which the community has already done) AND allow people to keep playing after the main quest? (Which the community has also already done.)

Color me excited...

Oh well, the GECK is out. Who gives a shit about Bethesda's attempts to make something interesting.

Creston

25. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unvei Dec 11, 2008, 20:16 Kxmode

but for those who registered for a replacement Big Daddy, they were also given a full size art book.

My point is you got all the stuff up front.

24. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unvei Dec 11, 2008, 18:54 the_culture

Beth really really did a great job on the collector's edition. You get a Vault Boy bobble head, a hardcover Art of Fallout 3 book, a Making of Fallout 3 DVD, customized Fallout 3 lunch box, plus the game itself. Compare that with say the BioShock collector's edition... a broken pewter Big Daddy?

I beg to differ. The art book is small and underwhelming, the making of is nothing special, but the lunchbox and bobblehead are unique. Granted, you "only" got a Big Daddy and soundtrack sampler, but for those who registered for a replacement Big Daddy, they were also given a full size art book.

23. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unvei Dec 11, 2008, 18:01 Kxmode

Beth really really did a great job on the collector's edition. You get a Vault Boy bobble head, a hardcover Art of Fallout 3 book, a Making of Fallout 3 DVD, customized Fallout 3 lunch box, plus the game itself. Compare that with say the BioShock collector's edition... a broken pewter Big Daddy?  

22. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 17:07 The Half Elf

Screw you PHJF, my Transformers Lunchbox pwns your lunchbox, AND it has a matching thermos inside!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 16:59 PHJF

I wasted $70 on this. But dammit if this isn't the bestest lunchbox I've ever owned.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 16:56 elefunk

Bet you the patch will be bundled with the DLC.
Bet you your sorry ass spent more time writing a stupid reply than you did actually reading the fucking article that says that a patch will be released before this DLC.

19. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 16:43 Bone43

Glad I didn't waste $50 on this. Ill give it a few months and then buy it.

18. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 12:28 Donkey_Punch

Wow, those boys sure are quick to react with news about the game (sarcasm).

The game feels abandoned already and it seems the only thing they are interested in is making more DLC or expansion pack money.

Bet you the patch will be bundled with the DLC.

17. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unvei Dec 11, 2008, 12:25 Mingus

I tried to play this through to the end, however after completing most of the side quests, I became completely bored with it.

I stopped playing it and turned to Gothic (thank you GOG) and Gothic has been able to capture my attention in ways that FO3 could not.

Gothic 2 is next on my list, and then I might go back to FO3....or not.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 12:25.

16. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 Jerykk

Much of this is being fixed in mods already, but GOTY this is not. L4D is a lot more innovative. Witcher is a better RPG. Handing out GOTY awards to this game would just reward mediocrity and an aversion to trying new things.

But FO3 had more hype than L4D and Witcher combined, therefore, FO3 = GOTY.

15. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 11:44 Hyatus

and the endlessly repetitive subway environments are just ridiculous. Did they just run out of time to create unique areas or what?

Maybe. It is, supposedly though, a pretty good remake of the DC subway system.

14. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 11:33 osage no onna

What, no dog armor?

I'm so original.

13. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 10:53 Pundit Guy

That seems... dumb.

Not as dumb as the ending.

12. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 10:49 Wowbagger_TIP

So, you cannot continue in Fallout 3 (doing side-quests or just exploring) after you finish the main quest? That seems... dumb.
There's already a mod that let's you continue after the main quest ends. So really only the console players get screwed on that, but they generally don't seem to care anyway.

As for GOTY, are you kidding? There's almost nothing outstanding about the game. The storyline is meh, the graphics are good, the combat is repetitive and boring, VATS is a neat nod to the gameplay of the originals, but has a lot of issues, and the endlessly repetitive subway environments are just ridiculous. Did they just run out of time to create unique areas or what? The dialog is better than Oblivion though, I'll give them that. Much of this is being fixed in mods already, but GOTY this is not. L4D is a lot more innovative. Witcher is a better RPG. Handing out GOTY awards to this game would just reward mediocrity and an aversion to trying new things.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled Dec 11, 2008, 10:39 VogelAP

[...will allow players to continue exploring the wasteland after the completion of the main quest...]

So, you cannot continue in Fallout 3 (doing side-quests or just exploring) after you finish the main quest? That seems... dumb.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 10:40.

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo