Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Thanks Ant.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2008, 08:21 InBlack

Man thats a cool smiley Flamethrower

My nick is "Jamezdin" on L4D if anyone wants to add me as a friend...on...some kind of off chance....:|

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 19:43 the_culture

Dagok Flamethrower PHJF  

29. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 17:29 Krovven

Yahtzee was all the justification I needed to reinforce my opinion that Left 4 Dead isn't the second coming people seem to think it is

You mean from one of the more positive reviews he has done all year? Ya that makes a lot of sense.

He is negative for a reason...it gets hits and it's amusing to people.

I've tried GoW and GoW2, albeit briefly. Not my kinda game, but I don't go into every related thread telling everyone. Which is far more than you can say about your opinions of L4D.

I just wish you'd shut your pie-hole about a game you've never even tried, even when you had the opportunity, yet have bashed consistently for the last month or two.

28. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 17:07 PHJF

Where is the demo's for GTAIV, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, CoD WaW? How many other PC games got demo's this fall?

And with the exception of Fallout I didn't buy any of those, either. What's your point? I should be grateful they gave me a whole week to play the demo? What should I do, give rimjobs to developers who put out actual demos? And since when does one have to actually play a game to speak ill of it? I'm sure everybody here's played Gears of War 2.

Yahtzee was all the justification I needed to reinforce my opinion that Left 4 Dead isn't the second coming people seem to think it is, and that based on the amount of material you're getting it's overpriced. Zero Punctuation isn't perfect but he's far from the shills of IGN or Gamespot.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 16:14 Wowbagger_TIP

I haven't had any more problem with people leaving in L4D than in any other multiplayer game. Not sure if people are just more sensitive to it because there are fewer players or what. Usually new players jump in as soon as someone leaves anyway.

Versus is a ton of fun to play, and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, especially if they release a couple more versus maps. My biggest problem is that my mic inputs on my motherboard are screwed, something about the shielding failing according to the manufacturer. So I can't use a regular mic. I'm thinking about trying out a USB mic to see if that works any better.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 15:45 dryden555

a bunch of my friends played the demo and it was fun but we're all playing Fallout again. Maybe we're not into multiplayer as much as some others are posting here, which is cool.  

25. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 15:05 Krovven

Maybe I'll try the demo now then? Oh wait, there is no demo, it was available for all of a week.

And you didn't bother to try it. You were online during that time, you could have downloaded it. You had people asking if you wanted to join them for games...it's not like you didn't have the opportunity when it was offered.

So you are criticizing L4D longevity and gameplay in just about every L4D thread, without having actually played the damned thing.

Where is the demo's for GTAIV, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, CoD WaW? How many other PC games got demo's this fall? Very few. So maybe you should be thankful there was at least a timed demo for L4D, just too bad you didn't bother to use it when it was available.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 15:15.

24. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 14:44 PHJF

Maybe I'll try the demo now then? Oh wait, there is no demo, it was available for all of a week.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 14:42 Krovven

I have purchased this game for the pc, enjoy it quite a lot and have a small group of people I run through a co-op movie on expert with every couple of days or so. I also enjoy versus quite a bit when the people don't leave.

Yep it sucks, but no different from people leaving any mutliplayer games leaving teams uneven.

Grow your Friends list in Steam. When you find people that don't act like douchebags and play well add them to Friends. I've been playing with Batman and some of his friends and we all just invite more people to the games to fill out the numbers if someone leaves.

22. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 14:21 Krovven

PHJF - I've been levying this argument against L4D for a while and Yahtzee seems to concur. In stark contrast to the zombies within, L4D doesn't appear to have a significant lifespan.

From what Batman and I could tell is you never even fucking tried the demo...so please STFU already. I know for a fact Batman invited you to join us to games with the demo and you declined saying you didn't have the demo.

InBlack - Erm, I have to disagree with all of you, did you guys even play Left4Dead???? And I mean the Versus mode specifically.

Exactly InBlack. The people that are making these claims played the demo, or not at all. Versus mode is where the replay value comes from. I've been playing a game or two a night which is 2 to 4 hrs in Versus, depending on what happens in each map.

I've seen so many pathetic and clueless reviews of L4D it's not funny. ie: GameTrailers (4 hours of gameplay), what a crock of shit. You might get that playing on Easy once through each Campaign with bots. But we all know GameTrailers are console whores that love Gears of War garbage gameplay.

How many games do people truly still play a year later on a regular basis...not very many. Will this be one of them? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what Valve does with the game in the future.

The short of it is...people are ignorant, and apparently don't have friends to play with and beat the crap outta each other in Versus.

Note - I haven't watched the Zero Punctuation review as I'm at work.

21. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 12:41 rist3903

If you've only played the demo, then you really have no idea what you're talking about. The full game is very different.

I am going to have to take issue with this statement.

I have purchased this game for the pc, enjoy it quite a lot and have a small group of people I run through a co-op movie on expert with every couple of days or so. I also enjoy versus quite a bit when the people don't leave.

As of now, the majority of the game is co-op and basically the demo writ large. I enjoyed the demo, I enjoy the game.

As for the versus though, valve really needs to come up with some way to compel people not to play for 5 minutes or until they stop being infected and then leave, whichever comes first. I have had the majority of my versus games go south for precisely this reason. Someone plays the infected through a round, leaves and then no doubt finds another server to repeat the process on. If you press on and try to play through all the temporary people who shuffle through the game, you get to a point when no more show up.

With less infected popping up and the ai controlled survivors keeping up well it becomes less than fun for the infected since they are much less able to wreak havoc and arguably less fun for the survivors, as it suddenly stopped being nearly as challenging as it was with four infected.

If Valve can solve this sociological problem then I could be happy playing this game for a very, very long time.

Some sort of rating system that kept track of how you do and paired you up against people who are around your level would be nice. Oh, and put all the people who only stay for 5 minutes in games with each other.

20. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 11:28 Narf2029

I'm sure they'll have L4D free weekends like they do for TF2. That'll be a better "demo." I was on the fence myself but took the chance and the cooperative play is an absolute blast. Expert is where it's at though, far more difficult and even suspenseful at times. It's like Easy is 1, Normal is 2, Advanced is 3 and Expert is 10.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

19. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 11:01 Quboid

If you've only played the demo, then you really have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll have to take your word for it, but it does mean that the demonstration is a huge great fail. If Valve want my money, they'll have to make a demo that demonstrates the game they're trying to sell.

- Quboid

18. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 10:38 Wowbagger_TIP

"Challenging" and "teamplay" aren't the same thing as replayability. I played the demo through twice, and was bored half way through the second go. Each to their own, if you like L4D fine, but it really failed to float my boat. The same goes for TF2.
If you've only played the demo, then you really have no idea what you're talking about. The full game is very different. I was on the fence after the demo, but decided to take the chance. Versus is a whole different game really. It never plays out the same, and so far it hasn't gotten boring. They do need to get some new maps out soon though, especially versus maps. Maybe a new weapon or two would be good too.

RE: Fallout 3, I said up front that I wasn't going to buy it until they release a toolkit for it. So it looks like I'll probably be picking it up soon. Then I'll just have to wait a few months for the modders to get things fixed.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 10:40.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 10:21 Quboid

Haha, yeah, Sphinx is a good reviewer too (and that Youtube video on his site is so wrong, I love it). Good metaphor at the end sir, I hope that was researched.  

- Quboid

16. Re: Fallout 3 Dec 11, 2008, 10:15 The Half Elf

Mods alone are worth getting the PC version, and better support from Beth.

Don't open/unwrap your 360 version take it back to a store, get the console price back, buy the pc version and your up a few bucks which you can spend on the DLC

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 10:14 InBlack

Swapping it for a PC version is better than "no returns". Its a solid albeit faulty game, which will only get better with community mods.

The console version will see no mods so its a no brainer, if you liked the original games buy it for the PC.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 10:16.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Fallout 3 Dec 11, 2008, 10:12 4D-Boxing

DG I would go for the PC version but I'm a PC gamer that has never owned a console.

You'll run into the same issues with both version...possibility of some crashes & a few other bugs. On my end the crash issues where related to audio drivers...had to revert to the oldest drivers released to be able to start the game (xonar d2x).

If you have an SLI/crossfire rig.. you should go into one of the config files in (my documents I think) & Edit to set SLI/crossfire to yes..that will eliminate the stuttering issues & improve performance. (frame rate wont drop as much).

PS. I rarely use the VATS so PC version is ideal for aiming.

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2008, 10:10 Quboid

"Challenging" and "teamplay" aren't the same thing as replayability. I played the demo through twice, and was bored half way through the second go. Each to their own, if you like L4D fine, but it really failed to float my boat. The same goes for TF2.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 10:20.

- Quboid

12. Re: Fallout 3 Dec 11, 2008, 09:11 DG

Query: I ordered Fallout 3 for the PC, but they sent me the 360 version (at the cheaper PC price).

I had decided on the PC version if for no other reason than to try out the upgrade I'll be installing tomorrow.

Worth swapping it? They'll probably let me swap at the retail outlet around the corner.

edit: new pc will be Core2 E8400 (3ghz), 4gb ram, Ati 4850, Vista 64

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 09:12.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo