Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia

The Windows edition of Prince of Persia should now be in stores, though there's been no official announcement to that effect, perhaps a consequence of last week's console releases hogging the spotlight (the same thing happened when the PC version of Dead Space shipped unannounced after the release of its console counterparts). The action/platformer reboot is also available via digital distribution, as it can be purchased in North America from Direct2Drive and the Ubisoft Digital Store, or from Steam for customers in North, Central, and South America.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 14:01 Ant

SoT rocked. I also like the original scroller games. Although the second scroller's ending sucked. I need a demo for this newest PoP game to see if it sucks or not.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 13:54 theyarecomingforyou

I loved the overall story and basic gameplay in Sands of Time
Well, prepare to be disappointed - this one features absurd physics, gimmicky gameplay, laughable moves, beat-em-up style battles and a seriously dodgy art direction. Everything that made Sands Of Time such a great game has been removed and I cannot even see why it still carries the Prince Of Persia tag, other than to sell more.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 12:24 Skoll

If it really has no DRM, I'll almost certainly get this. I loved the overall story and basic gameplay in Sands of Time, however I hated the main 2 characters (the guy you play and the woman).

A demo would, of course, help seal the deal.

19. Demo? Dec 11, 2008, 10:32 Ant

Demo please!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 09:25 InBlack

I have this bad feeling that in the coming year PC gaming might become even more scarce due to developers/publishers abandoning the platform for various reasons... mainly piracy. I just hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Mainly Piracy?? Mainly Piracy? Piracy is an EXCUSE, nothing more, nothing less. I just cant believe that so many people fall for it.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 08:46 dryden555

When you die there is no annoying loading screen and you are right back where you died(not all the way back at the front of the level). I dont think this makes the game easy, but it does make the prospect of dying in the game far less annoying. For me, the gameplay gets old if I dont push the right sequence of buttons at the right time and then die. If there's going to be timed button pushing, I'd rather be playing God of War, a fun "explore and combat" game which beats the daylights out of POP.  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 08:07 Rita

He is a very loyal and respectable person.
Rita

wow gold

15. wow gold Dec 11, 2008, 05:36 great9121

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 11, 2008, 08:43.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 01:20 PHJF

I don't really see how that makes any difference to pirates.

Most piracy is on the PC. They figured that potential pirates would just buy it for their consoles instead of wait for the PC release. While I've no doubt this would help (at least somewhat), it'd take a much bigger profile game than Prince of Persia to see any real results. I don't think too many people have been dying the past week waiting for PoP.

And Mario 64 was *way* harder than any modern platformers. You don't see Lara Croft running out of lives and having to start the level over again, do you?

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 01:21.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 00:42 Jerykk

You go from fairly normal difficulty levels to extremely hard levels that I just can't stand. Prince of Persia suffers from this, all of them I played I quit becuase I got stuck on a level I couldn't beat. Same goes with Psychonauts, I could not beat the Napoleaon level, so I quit. Now with Tomb Raider Underworld, I am stuck on that level with the giant hammers and haven't figured out where the fuck to go or what the fuck to do. It's so god damn annoying, the games are great but the inconsistency are a real turn off.

I've played all those games and got through them without issue. I think they provided a good amount of challenge and I never got frustrated. I do get frustrated when games get dumbed down, though. I need challenge in my games otherwise I get bored. TR:U has a help mechanic that gives you tips if you're stuck. I never actually used it so I don't know how effective it is but it might help out.

I really, really don't think you'll get stuck in the new PoP. There's a little light you can summon that shows you exactly where to go and there's a tip system you can use at any time. In addition, you can never die and there are basically checkpoints on every platform.

I think their copy protection was to release it a week after the console versions.

I don't really see how that makes any difference to pirates. Whether it comes out on release day or a week later, it's still going to get cracked. The later you release the PC port, the less likely it is to sell because the hype has died down and everybody has already played the console versions.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 00:45.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 00:41 Fuzzmatang

I'll probably bargain bin this one. The only thing that interests me about it is the art since I heard the game practically plays itself since the prince can't really die since the chick reloads the game for you.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 11, 2008, 00:05 MuzixMon

I picked this up today from Best Buy and had to wait over an hour for it for them to go dig it out of the back. Shows how important it is for them to get new PC releases on the shelf.

I played it for about an hour and I noticed no trace of DRM, cd key or any annoying copy protection hassles which was very welcome. I hope the pirate shitheads out there just don't eat it up even more because of this. As far as the game goes it's quite interesting so far, graphically it's quite stunning and gameplay seems familiar with the Sands of Time games but simplified a bit. There are less buttons to press to do actions and your female sidekick seems to help you out quite a bit. The only complaint I see coming is that people might think it's too easy. If you liked the old PoP titles I say pick this one up as well and certainly support Ubi if they are experimenting with no copy protection.

I have this bad feeling that in the coming year PC gaming might become even more scarce due to developers/publishers abandoning the platform for various reasons... mainly piracy. I just hope I'm wrong, I really do.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 23:33 Caveman

I could never get into 3D platformers besides Super Mario 64, I've tried many of them but never finished any of them. What bothers me is most of them are inconsistent. You go from fairly normal difficulty levels to extremely hard levels that I just can't stand. Prince of Persia suffers from this, all of them I played I quit becuase I got stuck on a level I couldn't beat. Same goes with Psychonauts, I could not beat the Napoleaon level, so I quit. Now with Tomb Raider Underworld, I am stuck on that level with the giant hammers and haven't figured out where the fuck to go or what the fuck to do. It's so god damn annoying, the games are great but the inconsistency are a real turn off. 3D platformers should go gradually go from easy at the beginning to challenging at the end, not fluctuating difficulties between levels.  

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 23:30 PHJF

I think their copy protection was to release it a week after the console versions. Experimental DRM, seeing as how the majority of game piracy is focused on PC titles.  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 23:22 Shadowcat

Reference for the "no DRM" comment please, because I don't believe that for a second.

Edit: Okay, searching and seeing several comments backing this up (for the DVD version only; not for downloadable version). Very interesting. I loved Sands of Time, so I'm now officially interested in this. The trailer I saw left me slightly underwhelmed (largely because of the jump-pads, which I thought took away from the feeling of making your own path through a level -- a feeling which was just as manufactured in SoT, admittedly, but you could at least suspend disbelief in those environments).

However with the same team behind it I'm thinking it will have oodles of atmosphere; and with no DRM I'll be happy to buy it. Nice move Ubisoft, if this really is true.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2008, 23:32.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 22:55 Jerykk

There isn't any, not even a disc check.

Wow, I'm impressed. Either Ubisoft learned that copy-protection is useless or they forgot to add it in the gold master. Either way, customers benefit.

Now if only the game wasn't so dumbed down...

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 21:10 Bluesfanboi

I'll concur it's one of those love-it-or-hate-it playstyles. I personally never got into the Price of Persia excitement, probably to my discredit as I gravitated towards Tomb Raider and No One Lives Forever for the vehicles.

But what's this about no DRM? Not even a disc check? That makes it a very possible Stardock buy, as long as the user reviews are not god awful. Support the publishers that treat you right.

Microtransact this, EA

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 20:18 dryden555

its a twitch game where you hit the right sequence of buttons to jump then grab then jump etc. You're either gonna love it or hate it. I wouldnt call it "easy" as much as a twitch game where once you learn the moves, you've mastered the whole game. Nice graphical look.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 20:03 PHJF

There isn't any, not even a disc check.

I'll *probably* get it, but I'm worried about the initial reviews. Apparently this is the easiest game ever made and suffers from that "the game plays itself" issue which plagued Creed. After finishing the less-than-perfect TR:U, though, I find myself hurtin' for another squirtin' of platforming goodness, and as far as PCs are concerned PoP is the only option.

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 19:32 Kxmode

does it have draconian DRM?  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo