Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2008, 14:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, for every person that bitches and moans, I can't point out 3 more that have never had an issue.

Whiners are usually louder than people that are happy. It has been proven that if someone is upset about something, they will tell 2-3x more people than if they are happy about something.

That would still put it at about 25% failure rate, which may even be a low estimate from what I've heard. That's an absolutely ridiculous failure rate for anything except possibly Mexican fireworks.

If your XBox was constantly broken, I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed about it too. I bought mine probably around the same time you did, as mine is about a year old now too. I picked up my Elite after the new hardware revision hit the streets last Oct-Nov, and I made sure that mine was one of the new ones. I haven't had any problems with it either, so hopefully that bodes well for the later revisions. Those who got the earlier ones are still fucked though. I'm glad I waited too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2008, 03:27 CreamyBlood

Thank God I don't read console posts. I'm not sure what would happen if I actually bought one.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 23:55 xXBatmanXx

f I recall Batman, you bought a newer hardware revision of the 360, so hopefully you will be less likely to experience the problem at all.

Correct - I call that being a smart consumer.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 21:04 dryden555

I know about 2 dozen people with first generation 360's and 2 of them had rrod's. They only cost 250 bucks now and there's a huge FREE warranty so the whole thing is a non-issue in 2008. Electronics break.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 17:32 Krovven

Whiners are usually louder than people that are happy.

True. However, I personally know people that are on their 4th and 5th 360, and the 360 hardware issues have been made a matter of public record as MS is being sued by multiple parties over the issue. MS has also reportedly spent 'Billions' on support for the hardware problems. There is also the report that the failure rate was at one time over 30%, possible as much as 40%. So, this really isn't an example of a vocal minority whining.

Basically it seems once you have the problem, you will keep getting the problem because they don't send a new unit, but rather a refurbished one with the same problematic parts, some even getting the RROD or other problem on the day they received the replacement.

If I recall Batman, you bought a newer hardware revision of the 360, so hopefully you will be less likely to experience the problem at all.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 17:12 Yosemite Sam

PS3 is an awesome media streaming device

Wicked streaming device, probably the best mutimedia machine available. I got an old PC set up full of HDDs and filled with media and the PS3 streams it all beautifully.

You cant really compare the 360's price to the PS3, the PS3 has blueray, even a cheap ass blueray player still runs at $200.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 17:03 xXBatmanXx

comp - have you had any issues playing any games?

I was under the impression getting an older one with software emulation was a better route - anyone confirm or deny?

Or let me know which is my best bet for compatibility?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 17:02 xXBatmanXx

For people considering the systems, there are pros and cons to both. As for your particular 360, consider yourself lucky. A lot of people are having issues with the 360 hardware. Your good fortune doesn't redeem the 360's bad reputation.

Well, for every person that bitches and moans, I can't point out 3 more that have never had an issue.

Whiners are usually louder than people that are happy. It has been proven that if someone is upset about something, they will tell 2-3x more people than if they are happy about something.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 15:52 complicity

I love my PS3 (60gig with hardware backwards-compatibility, Bats), and wouldn't trade it in for anything, but there are times I miss not having a 360 because all my gamer friends have 360s. Makes it tough to do multiplayer or trade games with them. I won't buy a 360, though, because the hardware is typically so unreliable.

Aside from games, of course, PS3 is an awesome media streaming device, and BRD player.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 14:48 CrimsonPaw

Not even close. I thought it's been quite civilized. In fact, yours and the comment about leo being a fool might be the only two blatantly trying to make it one (both pro 360). For people considering the systems, there are pros and cons to both. As for your particular 360, consider yourself lucky. A lot of people are having issues with the 360 hardware. Your good fortune doesn't redeem the 360's bad reputation.
I agree, and am surprised that this hasn't turned into "PS3 sux @ss" or "Shitbox 360" posts. I think we can all agree that the 360 has flawed hardware and the PS3 is overpriced. Either way, they both have their ups and downs.

~~Crim~~

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 13:52 wallace321

*sigh*

PS3 vs 360 pissin' match.

Not even close. I thought it's been quite civilized. In fact, yours and the comment about leo being a fool might be the only two blatantly trying to make it one (both pro 360). For people considering the systems, there are pros and cons to both. As for your particular 360, consider yourself lucky. A lot of people are having issues with the 360 hardware. Your good fortune doesn't redeem the 360's bad reputation.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 13:26 Krovven

I would buy a ps3 if I could get a guarantee that it would play my ps2 games.

There is rumors that they could be offering a software download to play PS2 games so they can sell PS2 over PSN.

http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PSN-to-get-PS2-games-backwards-compatibility-FW-update-in-the-works-/pg/49/aid/127008

Take it with a grain of salt...the last time this rumor existed was from the software that allowed some multi-disc PS2 games to be copied to the hard drive.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 13:15 xXBatmanXx

*sigh*

PS3 vs 360 pissin' match.

Never had an issue with my 360 other than locking up on 2-3 tiems playing GTA4 (wasn't even me playing, was a friend) which is a known issue for the game anyway.

Other than that - no issues - zip zilch. Coming up on the 1 year mark - but mine also doesn't get used that much either.

I would buy a ps3 if I could get a guarantee that it would play my ps2 games.

9. Re: Ps3 Dec 9, 2008, 13:12 Techie714

I just got my PS3 last week (249.99) and I'm not a console gamer. But I must say I'm really enjoying all the cool features it has to offer besides the Blu-Ray. I'm totally enjoying Fight Night right now.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 12:43 Numinar

I only just got into the PS3 thing with a little big planet bundle... Awesome, solid machine and yet not totally worth it either (400 euros would let me replace my xbox 2 times, a bit more if I use the same harddrive... so it's 9 years of xbox if the repairs are covered by warranty). I love uncharted though! The online aspect of the PS3 is free, but is just a little bit shitter in some ways... connections seem way worse, LPB lags like a bitch. (I barely notice lag in GoW2 or Halo, only when I play people from 3 different continents and I notice that the horde mobs can take 8 grenades to the face) and it gets confused with ghost controllers after I have played GH or rockband. I get lots of hard locks on PS3 as well. Never in a game but the UI throws a few at me for some reason (web browser is usually the culprit). It streams better than the xbox as well due to being, well, quieter and not setting off RROD paranoia during rainy T.V. Days.

Xbox was born on Halo day, has travelled the world with me, taken some bumps and the dvd drive has JUST started to go. Annoying as hell but something I can fix locally for cheap (I am not sending it back to the country I got it from... to much hassel) Hard disk install has put back that problem, but still.

I would recommend PS3 to anyone who has the money to buy that delicious reliability (or if they have that much money... maybe a PC upgrade is a better investment?) and the xbox to those who would rather spend the difference in cash on some games which are pretty much the same in terms of quality/gfx at the moment, or who like social online games. XBOXLIVE is worth monthly payola, a 12 pack of beer would set you back more. The difference in online experience quality is worth way more than that for me.

Also, I hate how PS3 does not do VGA without a lot of hassle/expenditure. This feature makes the 360 awesome for lans. (something the lads and I do a lot... and despite all owning PS3's tend to neglect them since not many people have multiple HDTV's)

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 12:45.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 12:30 MrBone

Leo is a fool. I have 3 xbox 360's and not one of them has failed. I used to like the dude but he has turned into a dweeb of epic proportions.  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 11:27 strich

I guess i should consider myself lucky that the 360 never threw up all over me. It doesn't get used much though. After MS F'd me over on a Live account billing issue, i never bothered firing the machine up again. My son uses it though and the hardware has held up. I have to say that while i'm always skeptical of Sony (just because they think way to highly of their product), the PS3 has really turned out to be a good investment. Their online community is not only free, but their store is easy to maneuver and the community itself seems to be ok. I love the quality of the BD player and dig Little Big Planet. I'm checking on Mortal Kombat vs DC and Heavenly Sword as well for possible time syncs.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 11:07 wallace321

Good to hear about Live's population. On the "gayboy" halo videos, it really seemed to be EVERYBODY joining in. Not that the PC isn't full of f**ktards either. Griefing on Left4Dead is annoying (there needs to be an easier way to mute tools who micspam!) and several games I really liked have been ruined entirely because of cheating (Battlefield much?) Hacking in warcraft 3 is still pretty rampant, though at least Blizard bans CD keys now and then. At least the cheaters have to buy a new copy of the game.

I just really would have expected more from a service you actually pay for, you know? Microsoft's solution? Ban the name "gayboy". Nice...

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 10:54 TheLeech

I continue to worry about my 360, which has died once, but it has a three-year warranty at this point. If it dies, I miss out on a week or two of gaming. It's frustrating, but it's not the end of the world.

As far as the f**ktards on Live, I've found them to be manageable. I make frequent use of the mute feature and occasionally mark players for avoidance. I'm painting with a broad stroke here, but I think for every jerk on Live there are two to three mature gamers. In Call of Duty, that ratio might skew more towards jerks. I've encountered far more mature players in Rock Band 2 and Forza 2, though.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2008, 10:43 CrimsonPaw

I just sent my 360 in (time #2) for the RROD issue. A buddy at work just said that the video in his Elite 360 just crapped out on him as well. It just sucks that MS can't seem to make this product decent, I've had my PS3 for a year and a half and have yet to have it even hiccup on me. I will say that if the 360 shits on me one more time after this I WILL be selling it on EBay.  
~~Crim~~

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo