Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 12:25 Morgan19

Unless I'm mistaken, though, there's a difference– keyloggers are made specifically for facilitating the stealing of information. Is there any indication that LIVE or SocialClub do that? Do they do the whole "anonymously send info back home" thing? I don't mind having to run a couple extra background processes, as long as the don't get in the way– I'm not going to write the game off simply because of that requirement. Of course if there's ever any indication that either one is stealing info then yeah, that'd be a different story.

To be fair, I wouldn't purchase any other game that required this much hoop-jumping and do agree it's on the crazy side. But since I don't own a PS3 or 360 and probably never will, I jumped on the chance to play one of my favorite series on the platform I can and have been pleasantly surprised on how well it runs, even with the extra install of stuff, considering how many issues I've read about it.

So far I see this situation as akin to in-game ads: lots of people complain about them, but I'd rather enjoy a fun game than simply writing it off because of an ad on a billboard that I'll never pay attention to anyway. Like I said before, if the extra couple programs don't harm my computer, don't steal info, and don't affect the game's performance, I'm okay with it to play a game I really want to play.

(It's interesting folks are comparing this to Steam and applaud the latter's existence– I absolutely hate Steam for the simple reason that it usually adds 5-10 minutes of extra startup, loading, etc. to a game like HL2. THAT is a perfect example of the "extra" software getting in the way of my enjoyment of a game.)

To each their own, of course. I still feel bad for the people having technical or software issues and feel a lot of them could've been avoided without the extra software or some more QA, but I don't think writing the whole game off is entirely fair.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 13:56.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 9, 01:33 Re: Game Reviews Morgan19
  2. Dec 9, 03:14  Re: Game Reviews Bilbo
  3. Dec 9, 03:45   Re: Game Reviews LittleMe
  4. Dec 9, 05:42    Re: Game Reviews InBlack
  5. Dec 9, 06:00 Re: Game Reviews Eldaron Imotholin
  6. Dec 9, 07:24 Re: Game Reviews LittleMe
  7. Dec 9, 09:31  Re: Game Reviews JayDeath
  10. Dec 9, 14:16  Re: Game Reviews Krovven
  12. Dec 9, 15:37   Re: Game Reviews Kosumo
  21. Dec 9, 23:59   Re: Game Reviews LittleMe