Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison

AnandTech has a video of Mirror's Edge side-by-side with the PhysX-enhanced version of the game, showing the extra effects available to owners of NVIDIA accelerators or sufficiently powerful systems, saying: "The effects in there can be simulated on either a CPU or an NVIDIA GPU. The advantage to the GPU is performance and NVIDIA indicates that even an Intel Core i7 processor will have a tough time without GPU support" (thanks Mike Martinez). On a related note, EA, Take-Two lift Nvidia physics to next level announces Electronic Arts and Take-Two Interactive have licensed its PhysX technology as a development platform.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 16:25 PHJF

Since every 8-and-up series nvidia GPU is capable of PhysX, I'm pretty sure it's mainstream now. Now you ATI users, on the other hand...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 15:22 Rilcon

Why did the developers even bother adding support for this technology? Its still trying to become mainstream.

I'm pretty sure stuff doesn't just magically become mainstream, and developers might have to support it before it is.

10. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 14:54 Kxmode

Why did the developers even bother adding support for this technology? Its still trying to become mainstream.  

9. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison Dec 8, 2008, 12:47 theyarecomingforyou

Nice effects but without cross-platform support I can't see it getting anywhere. They contribute very little to the game and actually go somewhat against the clean and angular look of the game.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison Dec 8, 2008, 12:39 [THA] Hamst3r

Nice to see the comparison - I think the PhysX definitely adds some visual impact to the scenarios, such as when the helicopter is shooting at Faith; the glass shattering and the window blinds flapping. Just adds a bit more of the good kind of realism.  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

7. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 12:05 Quboid

I didn't notice that unless I rewatched it on fullscreen, inline it was unreadable.

I've yet to see anything from PhysX that I would say makes any game really any better. I guess this is an improvement, but not enough to be a selling point. Oh well, better than not having it I guess.

- Quboid

6. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 11:55 Raven

I'd think that the "Actual gampeplay footage slowed down to illustrate PhysX effects" disclaimer on the bottom of the video would be pretty noticeable, but go figure...  

5. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 11:54 Morgan19

The comments on the video page mention that there's small print saying the PhysX version was slowed down after the fact.

m19

4. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison Dec 8, 2008, 11:53 Bluesfanboi

If you are implying that the PhysX stuff is slowing the game down, I don't think that's the case since the PhysX demos and GRAW2 don't seem to take any FPS hit when PhysX is on.

Then again, I have no idea how that engine behaves, so there's that.

Doesn't that engine look like a Lithtech engine? (Shogo)

3. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 11:47 redsox4ever

I wonder if they slowed down the videos during the physics sequences, or the game just got slower, cuz it's pretty noticeable.
That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I'm assuming that they did slow it down, because the left side (the non PhysX side) slowed down as well in the same spot. I liked the effects, and it's cool that you get the bump if you have the right video card. I just don't know that it was that groundbreaking. It looks mostly like they just added some flags and plastic sheeting to shoot, if you have a gun which you don't through most of the game.

2. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison Dec 8, 2008, 11:27 DrEvil

I wonder if they slowed down the videos during the physics sequences, or the game just got slower, cuz it's pretty noticeable.  

1. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison Dec 8, 2008, 11:18 Bludd

Looks cool. Wonder what the performance drop will be from running with only 1 GPU ...  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo