Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 23:52 LittleMe

P.S. Is PC Gaming always going to have to be this convoluted from now on? I'm buying a 360...

LOL

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 23:55.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 09:24 Wowbagger_TIP

P.S. Is PC Gaming always going to have to be this convoluted from now on? I'm buying a 360...
I think it's just half-assed console ports that are that convoluted...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 16:58 JohnBirshire

You have to install RGSC and GFWL, but you don't have to sign into either of them to play single player. When the RGSC launcher comes up, there is a button with the words "skip login" on it. Press that button, then you can play without being online. As for GFWL, create an offline account rather than an online account so you can save your games without having to be online.

Hmmm, seems to contradict what many others are saying. So the game installs both of these programs, but you never have to login to play single player? But you still have to login the first time around to create the accounts? But if you never intend to play multiplayer, you can instead create an offline account? But if you do want to play multiplayer, you have to create an online account, and then always have to be logged in?

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 15:17 jimnms

It makes you install both RGSC and GFWL. However, you can not log in and play offline only, as far as I know.
You have to install RGSC and GFWL, but you don't have to sign into either of them to play single player. When the RGSC launcher comes up, there is a button with the words "skip login" on it. Press that button, then you can play without being online. As for GFWL, create an offline account rather than an online account so you can save your games without having to be online.

Now you know.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 13:49 skyguy

I struggled for a day and a half trying to get GTA4 running. I was an inch away from requesting a refund from steam. But I finally got it working by starting it with a bunch of -width -height -refreshrate and -norestrictions options (my monitor was going "out of range" when the game started). Then I tweaked the graphics settings and removed the command line options once my graphics settings were saved. Then I had to drop down the settings some more once I played the game for a little while. But, after all that, I've been playing it constantly, having a blast. There's no serious issues once you get the game running, just some disappearing/reappearing textures once in a while, and a short frame rate drop here and there.

FYI, there's nothing you can do to keep the social club from *running* when the game starts, but there's no need to log in. Just click "Play" in the bottom left of the social club window. Personally I signed up for both GFWL and the social club so that they can keep track of my achievements.

6. Re: Grand Theft Auto 4... Dec 8, 2008, 12:32 Ecthelion

So...is anybody playing GTA 4 multiplayer, not having problems, and is actually enjoying it?
I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I intend to once I finish the story. Background programs and DRM don't bother me much (they're annoying, but I'm not going to boycott a game because of them and deprive myself of a fun game), so keep that in mind. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the singleplayer game. Combat is improved quite a bit from previous games in the series, although the driving seems a bit worse. All of the trademarks of the GTA series are there: the sarcastic humor, larger-than-life characters, cinematic missions, sandbox-style gameplay, and so on. It's a shame that the game suffers from performance issues and graphical glitches (textures disappear and reappear sometimes when I'm playing), but I wouldn't call it a crippling blow. With a little tweaking, the game is very playable, and patching should only improve things.

I always take complaints here (and at other sites) with a grain of salt. With each new year, bitter, bitchy gamers seem to double in size. PC gamers are the worst of the bunch, for whatever reason. I choose to be an optimist. Sometimes I get depressed by buggy games or the decreasing number of PC games, but I try to stay positive. Why game if it makes you so miserable? Some of the complaints are valid, but as usual the noise is a lot higher than the validity of the complaining warrants.

As for whether you should buy the game or not, it really depends on what you're willing to deal with. If you don't mind dealing with third-party programs (both of them are pretty much invisible once you sign up*) and tweaking the game to get it to a playable framerate, the game is a lot of fun.

* Social Club is part of the launcher and also runs in the tray, and the game will automatically sign you in to Live during the intro movies, so they're pretty unobtrusive.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2008, 12:36.

5. Grand Theft Auto 4... Dec 8, 2008, 12:09 JohnBirshire

Do I want to buy this game or not?

I loved every other GTA, been playing them since the 1st one. Couldn't wait for GTA 4, multiplayer sounds like a blast. *I tried the San Andreas multiplayer, I thought the network code was "shoddy" at best*

However, I've seen absolutely nothing but 1000s of posts complaining about GTA 4 for a wide variety of reasons. I also have refused to buy games that use SecurRom or whatever it is called, require you to sign up and run additional background programs, etc. As a result, if I didn't want to play GTA 4 so bad, I would have avoided this game at all costs.

Despite all the complaints and problems, I am seeing a lot of videos on gaming websites of people playing multiplayer just fine, and it looks like a lot of fun. I hate to be missing out if the game would run perfectly. However, without a demo, I'd hate to spend 50 dollars on a game I can't sell on Ebay because I've already created accounts.

So...is anybody playing GTA 4 multiplayer, not having problems, and is actually enjoying it?

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 11:54 redsox4ever

I'm playing the Steam version, and I can't figure out how to play without signing in to the Social Club. You can create a shortcut to the LaunchGTAIV executable and play without starting Steam, however. One less app to be running while you are playing.

Beyond that, I've had pretty good luck with the game on my system. I used the -norestrictions command line and was able to run at high texture settings with little performance hit over medium. The only thing is that the settings don't seem to want to save. Every time I start the game there are new graphical settings. I don't know if that's because the command line screws up the autoconfigure or what.

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 10:49 JaguarUSF

It makes you install both RGSC and GFWL. However, you can not log in and play offline only, as far as I know.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 10:42 Ecthelion

That phrase is a little unclear– is it still necessary to sign up for and install Social Club if you don't play MP? If I ever pick up the PC version it'll be for SP only, so NOT having to use SC would be welcome. But then it sounds like it might be necessary for the online check, even if you're not using MP. Surprised Can someone clarify that?
On the Steam version, from what I remember Social Club gets installed automatically. In fact, I'm not even sure it's an install; I think it may just be an executable that runs from the GTA install folder.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's possible to play the game without signing up for Social Club, but I know you can play without signing in to it. In case you didn't know, Social Club is a tray utility that runs when Windows loads (be default). If it's not already running, GTA will launch it when it loads - it's basically the launcher for GTA.

Once you're in the game, Games for Windows Life loads, but it is apparently possible to play without signing in to that service either. I wouldn't know; I already had a GFWL account from playing Fallout 3, so GTA4 signed me in automatically.

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 09:59 Morgan19

The install process includes the option to sign up to Rockstar's Social Club as well, which is necessary for online play, and performs an online security check to ensure that you are a legitimate customer and therefore qualify to be treated like a criminal.

That phrase is a little unclear– is it still necessary to sign up for and install Social Club if you don't play MP? If I ever pick up the PC version it'll be for SP only, so NOT having to use SC would be welcome. But then it sounds like it might be necessary for the online check, even if you're not using MP. Surprised Can someone clarify that?

m19

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo