Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Eidos Takeover Speculation

MCV adds a couple of wrinkles to the latest rumors of attempts to acquire Eidos (née SCi Entertainment). Those recent reports named usual suspects Electronic Arts and Ubisoft as prime candidates to pick up the struggling UK company, but MCV now says Warner Bros and Square Enix are also eyeing Eidos. They say "nose-tappers" (Henry Gondorff and Johnny Hooker?) think Warner will end up the victor here, noting they already own a 20% share and that Eidos recently lifted a restriction that prohibited Warner Bros. from increasing its stake. They offer a quote from an industry analysts indicating that Square Enix is a dark horse here: "I think Warners [sic] will still win, but it’s very interesting that Square have expressed this late interest. They are clearly looking for Western talent." They also mention the possibility that Eidos could be parted out, suggesting Square Enix may end up picking up individual franchises, offering the example of IO Interactive and the Hitman brand. Update: This story originally contained an inaccurate reference to EA having a stake in Eidos, apologies for the sloppiness and any confusion this caused.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: More Eidos Takeover Speculation Dec 4, 2008, 16:40 Tanto Edge

I would much prefer Eidos was parted out, with Deus Ex going to either Squenix or Ubisoft.
I like that terminology.
The rest can go to Ubisoft with the exception of Lara Croft. I'd like to see That given to Squenix as I feel they could revisit the Angel of Darkness 'RPG' gameplay with success.

Is he kidding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: More Eidos Takeover Speculation Dec 4, 2008, 12:01  Blue 

I know EA owns 20% of Ubisoft but I don't think they have any stake in Eidos.

You are correct, that was my bad - I wrote that and planned to check it before posting the story, and then failed to do so. Confused

Sorry about the confusing aside, it has been removed.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: More Eidos Takeover Speculation Dec 4, 2008, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

I know EA owns 20% of Ubisoft but I don't think they have any stake in Eidos. If anyone has to end up taking them over (and I think its inevitable given how ineptly Eidos has been run in recent years), I hope its Warner Bros. because at least then it won't be yet another company swallowed by one of the Big 2. I would be surprised if Square Enix got them as this seems an odd acquisition for them but given that they recently announced they were publishing Supreme Commander 2, it looks like they're trying to jump more into western games so who knows.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: More Eidos Takeover Speculation Dec 4, 2008, 10:33 strich

Does EA and Ubi own everything now?  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo