Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA4 PC Problems

There are problems being reported on the Steam Users' Forums by users trying to run the just-released Windows edition of Grand Theft Auto IV, leading to a couple of sticky threads on a Missing Textures Issue and simply How To Get GTAIV Running. Also, Kotaku notes a considerable outcry over problems with the game on the GTAForums and GTAGaming. There's a statement from Rockstar on GTAGaming saying: "We are aware that a small number of fans are having problems running GTA IV on their PC’s and we would like to assure them we are working to help solve these as quickly as possible." In the meantime they recommend contacting technical support through phone numbers in the user manual and consulting rockstargames.com/support/ for helpful information. This support information includes a graphics settings explanation and details on all of the game's error codes.

View
124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

124. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 8, 2008, 09:38 nin

i have dell xps m1710, will gta4 run on dis? dont want to buy it if its unstable, and are steam lookin after the updates??that would be cool,id defo buy it then

A certain quote from Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction springs to mind right about now...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

123. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 7, 2008, 07:46 robanatior

i have dell xps m1710, will gta4 run on dis? dont want to buy it if its unstable, and are steam lookin after the updates??that would be cool,id defo buy it then  

122. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 7, 2008, 03:29 Ledge

"Maybe if they spent less time worrying about protection and actually making the game run on PC.."

amen to that.

121. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 6, 2008, 03:45 cronik

While the game itself is fun and entertaining I'm not happy with appearance/performance issues, not to mention all the annoying hoops they make you jump through to get this game up and running. Being a bit a GTA fan I'm disappointed and hoping R* can get a patch out shortly to address these issues otherwise this may well be the last R* game I purchase.  

120. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 6, 2008, 02:03 theyarecomingforyou

It would be nice if reviewers used a mostly similar computer to test games. Hopefully the end user would end up with a better idea of what to expect when buying games
I don't see such a system working, nor do I think it would be a good idea. However, I do think that performance is a valid factor for rating a game. Games like Crysis and GTA4 have garnered great reviews despite considerable performance issues and I don't think that's right. But it's also important to make sure that gameplay remains the most important factor, especially as those with top-end systems don't (except in rare cases) have to worry about performance and therefore such reviews would be inaccurate.

I believe that reviewers should assess the game on several computers of varying specs and list them with the review along with a summary of the experience. The primary review should still be done on a high spec machine in order to properly assess the gameplay but if it performs poorly on lower spec machines then that should be mentioned and considered.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

119. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 17:45 siapnar

I fixed that weird shadow problem I was having (huge wall of a shadow covered half the screen) by updating to the ATi Catalyst 8.12 beta drivers.

I also got a 3 fps boost in the benchmark

I have projectile dysfunction.

118. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 16:45 Tumbler

2. Reviewer's computer is a $5,000 monster

hmm, when you said this it sparked an idea in my head. Reviewing games across so many hardware platforms is going to yield vastly different results.

I wonder if PC gaming would benefit from a standard set of components for game review computers? Instead of having to list out the components that each reviewer has just stick with a standard setup that is agreed upon each year. And hopefully not the most cutting edge gear would be used.

That is one of the more frustrating things about PC gaming for me, I have no desire to buy the newest hardware to play PC games so for me the ideal system would be using hardware at least a year old.

Valve does those data gathering things and shows the most popular components. It would be nice if reviewers used a mostly similar computer to test games. Hopefully the end user would end up with a better idea of what to expect when buying games?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

117. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 14:09 Prez

Because there are more gamers on PCs than there are on all the consoles combined... and the publishers know this.

What?

I think his point is that just about every console gamer owns a PC. What percentage of those PC's are viable gaming rigs is another matter...

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 20:03.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

116. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 11:51 siapnar

I'm not sure how much of a resource hog GFWL is, but I really don't think it has any impact on GTA4's poor performance. Fallout 3 and Kane & Lynch both have GFWL, and their performance is fine (although Fallout 3 has performance issues for some people, it doesn't appear to be GFWL related).

The impact on performance from GFWL is minimal at most, but it's the lack of fluidity that makes it stand out like a sore thumb.
The game has 2 social-type systems running at the same time (RGSC can go up to 60mb memory usage) with absolutely NO benefit.
Without either of the two it would be easy to access multiplayer exactly the same way.
To upload shit to RGSC you could just do it like youtube, without the use of a resource-eating program. People seem to have absolutely no issues using a system like youtube.

It's just pointless for them to have all this goddam clutter attached to their game.
In order to run RGSC you need to have SP3 (or do the registry fix), and .NET framework 3.5. Then it also loads a fucking Vista font for both programs that takes up 6500k of memory. WHY do we have to use a different font in the first place?
It's so goddam stupid.

The game itself doesn't require all those things to be running or installed in order for it play, so let us fucking play without them.. without the extreme hastle.

PS. Since GFWL was all screwed up and wouldn't let me log in to play the game, I had to make an offline account to play SP.
Now that Multiplayer actually works, I wanted to try it.
Well now I have 2 accounts, one with my SP saved games and one with absolutely nothing (online).
Problem is, having an online account records achievements as well as gets you more perks like clothes if you progress in the single player.
This means I have to replay the game from the beginning on my online account.
edit: or I'll find a way to overwrite my online saves with my offline

I doubt anyone associated with putting GFWL and RGSC as mandatory programs with GTA4 could actually believe that they were proving gamers with a better and more user-friendly experience.
Then again, peoples idiocy in general continues to astound me.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2008, 12:07.

I have projectile dysfunction.

115. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 10:15 nin

Because there are more gamers on PCs than there are on all the consoles combined... and the publishers know this.

What?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

114. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 09:21 Ecthelion

I'm not sure how much of a resource hog GFWL is, but I really don't think it has any impact on GTA4's poor performance. Fallout 3 and Kane & Lynch both have GFWL, and their performance is fine (although Fallout 3 has performance issues for some people, it doesn't appear to be GFWL related). I know it's popular to bash Microsoft, but I don't think they are directly to blame in this case. Even blaming Microsoft for GTA4 lacking standard gamepad support is somewhat misplaced; it's not like Windows games required standard gamepad support in the past - it was up to the devs then, and it's up to the devs now (GFW isn't preventing devs from including standard gamepad support). Honestly, if GFW didn't exist, I wouldn't be at all surprised to still see most games only supporting the Xbox gamepad. If devs don't want to make a really good port, they don't need lax certification standards to justify a lackluster effort.  

113. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 08:18 MacD

No, it's truth.

Why oh-why would a GFW(L) title be spo crappy? Because R* can't code for pc's? No....their engines have always been stable (appart from the minority of people who usually have knock-off parts, badly installed/maintained pc's who run Kazaa, MSN and bottorrent at the same time as playing the game, all off one HDD which also has the pagefile!) and scalable, ever since GTA through GTA3/VC and GTA:SA.

And now, their game starts on xbox360, waits a year to come to the pc and...doesn't run very well with almost all the things MS says you should buy a console to avoid?

Think about it: an AAA title debuts on the 360. Where do you really think MS would want you to play it on...their 360 or a pc running windows (which most users would have anyway for general websurfing and office work)? What would add to MS' revenue stream?

And let's not forget GfWL's awesome pedigree, from GoW pc (only the .exe whioch stripped gfwl worked on my pc! Way to lose $50 for no multiplayer!) and others...gfwl is a malfunctioning resourcehog with no place on the pc.

112. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 08:05 MacD

The Witcher (ok, not anymore, but still started as one), World of goo, Fez, Sins of a Solar Empire and Audiosurf say 'hi!'.  

111. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 06:56 Kxmode

Rockstar was 100% on-board the nextgen console gravy train and basically shot themselves in the foot

I think 500 million dollars in revenue off this game will buy them enough band-aids and morphine to soothe that hurt.

This is fairly likely their last PC game. Why would they still even bother?

110. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 03:45 LittleMe

Money.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

109. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 02:53 Creston

Rockstar was 100% on-board the nextgen console gravy train and basically shot themselves in the foot

I think 500 million dollars in revenue off this game will buy them enough band-aids and morphine to soothe that hurt.

Creston

108. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 02:51 Creston

you crash into objects that only appear after you hit them

That's actually not a PC bug, but a Renderware engine bug that occurs if you drive too fast. The engine just can't draw some things fast enough, but there is a hitbox (no walk box, whatever) on that location that you're crashing into.

I ALWAYS fucking crash into those goddamn concrete barriers on the fucking bridge when being chased by NOOSE.

Not defending the fact it happens in any way, but it's not a PC issue. My 360 version has the exact same thing.

Creston

107. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 02:41 Creston

I'm glad the game went through a rigorous Q&A process.

It IS going through a rigorous Q&A process,just look at all these bugreports that are coming in! It'll take the devs years to fix all this shit. I'd call that a very good Q&A session?

Glad I skipped the PC version.

Creston

106. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 5, 2008, 00:55 Prez

What? There was huge controversy for all of the previous GTA games.

True enough. But unlike the previous controversies that helped them essentially sell the game, the Hot Coffee thing killed them. Their stocks really took a tumble, and they got way more bad press than good. They are blamed (and probably rightly so) for the new wave of crusading anti-game legislators. Their reputation has been permanently sullied.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

105. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 4, 2008, 23:38 KilrathiAce

I was about to buy the game through steam on friday but thank god I noticed this news item on bluesnews... Now I will be holding off and see if Rockstar gets off their ass and turn the game into version a normal customer expects at release. Especially with game of this mangintude. Maybe if they spent less time worrying about protection and actually making the game run on PC...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo