Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned yesterday that the new search function for the forums is far more feature-rich than the search function for the rest of the site. No longer, as Frans continues to beat Blammo into a properly submissive state, and now the same helpful Boolean search is live for the news articles here. Huzzah and kudos!

Boolean Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Noidzor 2.
Phage Wars.
Links: Walmart: You Cannot Buy This Lamp Anywhere, So Just Give Up.
Star Wars Slumbers - Sidi Driss Hotel in Tunisia.
Who Wants Police Academy 8? Anybody? Just You, Guttenberg? Thanks Digg.
Stories: Ralph magazine loses 130,000 inflatable boobs at sea. Rumors of busty Somali pirates unconfirmed.
'South Park' No Lark at B'klyn College. Thanks Digg.
Science: New blood scanner detects even faint indicators of cancer.
How Comics Can Save Us From Scientific Ignorance.
Media: Who's the Tank?
Office Apocalypse: When The Internet Goes Down at Work.
25 Ways to Die In Gears of War 2.
The Funnies: xkcd. Thanks Devicer.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 20:44 Creston

The install finished, it needed to reboot. Fine. Reboot, and can no longer log into the box at all.

What are you crying about? It's SAFE isn't it?!

I once deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_LOCAL_USER hives from a user's registry who kept whining that he wanted his machine to be "more secure."

Believe me, that was the most secure Windows OS ever.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 20:38 Creston

I find the lists of bullet points ugly and off-putting, and it makes me wonder how useful they are.

I usually read a few of them every day, though I have no real favorites. I'll read legal briefs and tech stuff and console stuff almost at random. It just depends on whether the title of the article is something that interests me.

That said, if you were to do away with them, it's not as if I'd die from grief or anything.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 20:36 Creston

I am better then you!

Proper use of than compared to then would seem to indicate otherwise

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 18:52 skyguy

Yeah I read Metaverse and Legal Briefs often too. As for hardware reviews, not so much, but I do click on the links once in a while.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 18:31 PHJF

Should I be getting a friend's PS2 so I can play Persona 4 next week? I've never played Persona but Persona 4 has some glowing reviews and I could use a good dozens-of-hours of JRPG right about now.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 17:12 nin

only to find out that Zonealarm sucks

Dude, I could have told you that. I installed it once, years ago. The install finished, it needed to reboot. Fine. Reboot, and can no longer log into the box at all.

Thankfully, I managed to removed it through safe mode.

Never again.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 17:07 Bucky

That said, I wouldn't really consider axing the reviews sections, but I do wonder how popular or useable thinks like Metaverse and Legal Briefs truly are.

Those are some of the sections I read most carefully, usually because there's a hidden gem or two in there everyday. Heck, I picked up free Zonealarm Pro via those links recently--only to find out that Zonealarm sucks and doesn't support 64 bit. Annoyed

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 15:56 Kxmode

No I do not... I'm pretty sure tracking outbound clicks would require embedding the URLs with some code to enable that.

Blue I believe you can use Google Analytics to track clicked links. I use it on a few sites. Its pretty badass. Thumbsup

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 15:36 strich

this year's strain of sinus issues have been much tougher than in the past. every year around november, i show up in my dr's office, he asks me if it's november already and i get meds for sinusitis. it never lasts longer than 2 weeks, but this year it's been much worse. after multiple antihystamines of varying toughness, my dr shot me up with steroids and gave me something i took for 5 days and i see a noticeable difference, but i'm still not 100% yet. i still wake up with a brick on the side of my head i'm laying on and i still use nose spray a few times a day. i'm so tired of it. it's been a 5 week snot party.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

18. Re: Who's the Tank? Dec 4, 2008, 15:16 Mr. Tact

Weak.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 14:36 Fang

I read the Metaverse and Legal Briefs all the time. In fact, it's part of the reason why I come to Blue's News every day, multiple times a day. My one stop on the intertubes where I can get all the information that I'm interested in (plus the NYTimes and WashPost).

With that said, I never read the Hardware Reviews anymore. I used to scan them, back when I built my own computers. But I don't have that kind of time anymore.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 12:31 Narf2029

Yeah my money's on the sinus infection. I finally finished one that lasted for about 4 weeks and it got old real fast, especially how the left side of my face and all my upper left teeth were in searing pain all the time. Bad enough that I wanted to drill holes in my face to relieve some pressure.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 12:29  Blue 

Hey Blue, do you have a way to monitor which links get hit the most? It occurred to me that in the last 10 years, i've only clicked links in the hardware review section, maybe 2 dozen times.

No I do not... I'm pretty sure tracking outbound clicks would require embedding the URLs with some code to enable that.

You raise a point I consider myself quite frequently, especially lately: Would readers here be better served by eliminating all of the bulleted techie links altogether. I find the lists of bullet points ugly and off-putting, and it makes me wonder how useful they are.

That said, I wouldn't really consider axing the reviews sections, but I do wonder how popular or useable thinks like Metaverse and Legal Briefs truly are. Thinking

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 12:16 Warhawk

I'm on week 5 of a sinus infection and you don't see my crying about it.

Never had one of those. <knocks on wood>

You don't really need your sinuses, do you? Just have them removed and you'll feel much better. Rolleyes2

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 12:02 nin

Z-pac!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 11:29 strich

Quit being such a pussy Enahs.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 11:25 PHJF

I'm going to be... Adrian Barbobot.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 11:12 nin

I have slept 2 hours the past 3 days.

Oh, you were going for pity. I see...

In all seriousness, I do hope it's gone soon...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 11:10 Enahs

Mine lasted from about last Tuesday until Sunday...so the entire time I was off work for Thanksgiving, I was sick.
Are you trying to compare your petty ailment with mine? I am better then you! I hate you!

I have slept 2 hours the past 3 days.

When are we getting robot bodies to transfer our brains into?
Soon, right?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 10:47 nin

I have the worst cold ever!

Mine lasted from about last Tuesday until Sunday...so the entire time I was off work for Thanksgiving, I was sick.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo