Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Patch Nears

The Far Cry 2 Forum on the Ubisoft Germany Website has an update from Ubisoft (in German) saying to expect the release of a patch for the Windows edition of Far Cry 2 between December 8th and 11th. No word is provided (in any language) about what changes the patch will bring. Thanks Ant and IGN.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 3, 2008, 01:52 Krovven

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=150newps3  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 3, 2008, 00:30 Creston

WOOT!!! Just got me a PS3 for 249.99!!!! Now I can watch Blu-Ray movies!!!

Where'd you get it for that cheap? What SKU?

Been thinking about picking one up.

Creston

23. Fucking patch Dec 3, 2008, 00:28 Creston

The first one broke a game that otherwise ran perfect. So I uninstalled and now am forced to manually kill that fucking autopatcher every time I start the game.

Sigh.

Creston

22. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 22:14 Krovven

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36503.html

This trailer is what had me sold. Yet, the game doesn't even use the intro video, like WTF? It's a great video and a great mood setter. It's just sad that they weren't able to maintain that vibe through the whole game.

There are definitely some moments of that "Heart of Darkness" grit, but it's so broken up by weak and meaningless missions that it doesn't work.

Gotta say though, cruising down the rivers at night with a bit of moonlight, definitely has that feeling.

21. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 20:40 theyarecomingforyou

Sorry those features are NOT available in console ports
Lean wouldn't have made much difference but I do wish the game had a prone ability. However, it's nothing to do with being a "console port" - most first person shooters don't have a prone ability and only a tiny minority ever had a lean function (not that it made much difference to gameplay). Not that games shouldn't have those features but to accuse such an omission of being related to console development is spurious at best.

I tellyas, they sure musta worked hard on this games teaser vids to have sucked so many of us in to thinking this was gonna be teh shiz.
They're only misleading in that they don't convey the amount of time spent driving / not doing much - the combat, the graphics, the fire, the gameplay is all on target. The trouble is too much time is spent not doing anything, or worse dealing with tedious checkpoints / car chases to make the world not feel devoid of activity. They could never have conveyed that in a video anyway.

To be honest the game would have been dramatically better if it had featured a better quick-travel function (lots more bus stops, taxis) and featured lots of non-hostile villagers. That could actually be added in a patch, though it seems VERY unlikely. There really is no need to have people drive for 5 minutes to get to the next mission and that should have been caught in playtesting.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2008, 20:42.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 20:30 Wildone

and it plays better if you actually plug in a 360 controller LMAO PWND BY UBI!!!  

19. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 20:23 Bone43

is this the patch that makes the game fun? Does it add lean left/right? Prone ability??? I tellyas, they sure musta worked hard on this games teaser vids to have sucked so many of us in to thinking this was gonna be teh shiz. FC 1 craps on FC 2 from great heights.

Sorry those features are NOT available in console ports, yes they sucked us in when they told us it was being made for the PC first
which might have been true at one time but sure does not seem to be the case in the retail game.

18. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 20:08 Shataan

I never have used this comment before, but have to in this games sorry state....

is this the patch that makes the game fun? Does it add lean left/right? Prone ability??? I tellyas, they sure musta worked hard on this games teaser vids to have sucked so many of us in to thinking this was gonna be teh shiz. FC 1 craps on FC 2 from great heights.

17. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 20:01 Bone43

Maybe they will add proper wide screen support so I wont have to use the fov hack that would be nice.

Great engine so much could be done with this title in a expansion or sequel, theres real potential to make a great game instead of just a good one.

16. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 19:28 Wowbagger_TIP

It reminds me a lot of how I felt about Assassin's Creed. So much wasted potential.

Yeah. That was another game with an incredible engine and great freedom but that ultimately became too repetitive, though I still think FarCry 2 is the better of the titles.
Yeah, FC2 is definitely better than AC. It would also be easier for them to fix at least most of the problems too. I would love to see them put out a patch that gives you some ability to fire and chuck nades from vehicles and that adds some more types of missions to the game.

oh yeah, and I love playin with the IEDs

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2008, 19:29.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 18:42 theyarecomingforyou

It reminds me a lot of how I felt about Assassin's Creed. So much wasted potential.
Yeah. That was another game with an incredible engine and great freedom but that ultimately became too repetitive, though I still think FarCry 2 is the better of the titles.

14. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 18:40 Techie714

WOOT!!! Just got me a PS3 for 249.99!!!! Now I can watch Blu-Ray movies!!!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 18:24 Cabezone

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2008, 18:25.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 18:06 Joss

There is so much potential - it should have been so much more and I think that's why people are annoyed rather than it actually being a bad game.
Exactly! Or just release the damn SDK for the mod teams to make it better for crying out loud.

Ubi doesn't give a rat's ass about their baby. Probably already moving resources to other titles now.

11. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 17:29 Krovven

The Missions suck and are very repetitive, which is unfortunate.

I like the combat, so while the game overall isn't that engaging I am still enjoying it. I'm not rushing my way through the game and just pick away at it playing a few missions and then taking a break and coming back to it when I'm in the mood.

10. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 17:17 theyarecomingforyou

maybe this will be the patch that brings back the players who have left en masse over the past 2 weeks? On Saturday there was a grand total of 2 servers hosting Team Deathmatch games....
I was just going to mention the same thing. I searched for servers on all games times and only found two empty servers, one of which had a good ping. When I tried connecting to a quick ranked match I was slapped into a shitty custom map and told that the match had been cancelled (this happened several times). The engine is spectacular and the gameplay itself is very good so it's very disappointing that multiplayer is currently a disaster. Hopefully it will take off but the situation is pretty dire at the moment.

Hopefully the patch will also touch upon some of the singleplayer issues, like absurd respawning and tedious car chases. Unfortunately many of the issues are design based and cannot be addressed, like tedious journey times, poor mission structure, repetitive gameplay, lack of things to do. Don't confuse that with me not liking the game. I thought it was very strong in many areas and I had a blast with it, though it didn't even scratch on its true potential.

I'm still glad I bought it but I'd feel a lot better about my purchase if Ubisoft could fix multiplayer. There is so much potential - it should have been so much more and I think that's why people are annoyed rather than it actually being a bad game.

9. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 17:13 Wildone

Yea its getting very old. Sick of driving/boating half way across the map to kill yet another target. And whats most annoying is A.I. Its almost impossible to bypass those checkpoints so your up for another random battle. Of course they have pin point accurate NPCs that can shoot you 500 feet with a shotgun PISSES ME OFF!  

8. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 17:03 dryden555

YMMV but I found this game pretty to look at, but boring after the initial fun with the fire physics.  

7. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 16:56 Krovven

Is this the patch that fixes the HORRIBLE mouse lag rendering the game unplayable?

No mouse lag here.

You talking the movement in-game or just the mouse cursor in the menu?

Tried the mouse settings I assume? How about vsync? Turn down shadows so they aren't maxed out?

6. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Nears Dec 2, 2008, 16:41 necrosis

Is this the patch that fixes the HORRIBLE mouse lag rendering the game unplayable?  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo