Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Interview

The Star Trek Online Interview on Skewed & Reviewed hears from Craig Zinkievich of Cryptic Studios to learn more about this MMORPG that will boldly go where no MMO game has gone before. Thwarting our dreams of playing as Captain Kirk, Craig's gameplay breakdown does not seem to indicate any time devoted to seducing alien hotties: "About fifty percent of your time will be spent in space, and the rest of the time you will be exploring planets, boarding other ships, visiting space stations or performing tasks aboard your own ship. We get you on the ships right away – you’ll fly your first ship during the tutorial, and from there the starships just get bigger and better."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 21:32 Rigs

So just put SFC away altogether and play BridgeCommander multi. The mod community for BC is still pumping out huge and retail-quality mods/total conversions. In fact, now that the underlying mod launchers and infrastructure apps have pretty much matured, they can put all their focus on the mods themselves instead of worrying about how they'll get it to show up ingame...Plus, they take some of the best freakin' screenshots I've seen to come out of a Trek game... http://www.bcfiles.com

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 08:05 The Half Elf

I'll concede the Dynaverse part and wish it was added to more games. But at the same time SFC multiplayer isn't bad IF you can find players, and even then your still at the whim of the game throwing up.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 07:12 Armengar

I popped in and out of dynaverse for quite a while. It was good if you could team up with human players occasionally.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

19. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 05:38 maldoror

I disagree, there is only so many times you can play a Starfleet Command game and just want to beat your head against a wall for all the bugs in EACH AND EVERY GAME, even after buying all 3.

But for pure hands on ship combat the previous 3 easily destroy the Command series. Especially with the mod community for BC and KA.

I would have to disagree with your disagree :P, granted the single player of any Starfleet Command game was sub par, but online vs. play is where this game shined. Plus the mod community was and is still very active for SFC, they even released many community updates and patches after the devs went under to make the game even more like starfleet battles, which is one of the best hex based wargames ever also. =)

Check out dynaverse.org, they are supposedly releasing a free updated version of SFC made by the community using t he acquired source code.

18. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 05:33 HardCore

They are trying to put it on consoles too, so that PC players and console players can play together online so... of course on consoles you have to start off as captain.  

17. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 02:48 Ventura

I'll buy it because it's Star Trek and I'm a Trekkie (granted, I didn't buy Star Trek Legacy, but I said I was a Trekkie, not that I was stupid).

I'm not surprised everyone starts off as Captain, even though it is a little disappointing. They probably tried setting it up so that you have to scrub plasma conduits on someone else's ship to make your way up to Lieutenent, but then realised that wasn't very much fun

16. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 22:47 theyarecomingforyou

Seriously, this is going to be Pirates of the Burning Sea in space with CoX cartoon characters. No need to scan it with a tricorder, you can tell it's already dead, Jim.
Firstly, PotBS was crap; boring gameplay, boring theme, boring experience. Secondly, the Star Trek brand has an incredible amount of depth, an incredible following and has a new film out next year. Finally, I have no interest in MMO games but have to say that Star Trek Online looks pretty sweet; the recent screenshots look very good and the developers seem to be being pretty faithful to the series.

So, to conclude. PotBS was awful; Star Trek has a huge following; Star Trek Online looks great. Still, I have my doubts over how appealing the core gameplay will be, whether it will be able to keep me interested and whether I'll be willing to pay for it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

15. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 21:43 The Half Elf

I disagree, there is only so many times you can play a Starfleet Command game and just want to beat your head against a wall for all the bugs in EACH AND EVERY GAME, even after buying all 3.

But for pure hands on ship combat the previous 3 easily destroy the Command series. Especially with the mod community for BC and KA.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 21:08 maldoror

fawker have you ever played Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, or Bridge Commander?

don't forget Starfleet Command I and II, easily the best star trek ship combat games.

13. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 19:11 The Half Elf

fawker have you ever played Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, or Bridge Commander?  

12. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 18:19 Soylent Bob

Seriously, this is going to be Pirates of the Burning Sea in space with CoX cartoon characters. No need to scan it with a tricorder, you can tell it's already dead, Jim.  

11. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 14:23 fawker

You know, after seeing so many of these MMORPG startups that were doomed from the start, it is disappointing to add Star Trek to the list.

Star Trek is just a better movie than a game. Maybe they should take the silent hunter developers and see what they can do with it. Ship to ship combat has always been the high light of any trek game. But as time has shown you can't pilot a ship with a joystick, mouse, or keyboard withany real effect.

Any real combat simulation would be similar to a naval simulation and have limited niche appeal. Who know's, maybe someone can pull it off. Not this mmorpg though.

And just how fun is it going to be to go to work and stare at a screen all day waiting for a blip? There is no way you could have too many interesting positions on a ship.

Let's see,

Engineer (Healer)
Sensors (Nuker)
Weapons/Tactical (Tank)
Science Officer (Buffs)

Captain (fifth wheel)

dunno..

10. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 13:24 AnarKane

Seems so much wasted potential.

That sums up practicaly every MMO out there.

I'll consider the source of that reply.

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

9. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 12:07 Wildone

Yea I agree everyones a captain? Don't u need to learn certain skills to become one..its kinda weird everyone and their momma already has the skills (in the game) in the 'real' world they don't most likely.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 12:03 Sacrifice

"Sacrifice the game you described would take years to complete, Im talking about a "Duke Nukem Forever" like time-scale."

Perhaps the end game with guilds running a ship is stretching it, but leveling from Starfleet Academy to a Galaxy-Class starship could easily fit in an MMO. Starfleet and individual ships would simply be a zone. I don't see how this would take longer to develop than Warcraft or Warhammer.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

7. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 11:01 Xyggy

Man I hope they don't screw this up.  

6. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 10:45 The Half Elf

If they would only make a Star Trek version of the Battlemech pods.. give everyone a position...

Honestly I think for what they are doing it's about the best way to do it unless you made a Star Trek Ship Sim MMO (which I would love ala Klingon Academy).

5. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 06:30 InBlack

Sacrifice the game you described would take years to complete, Im talking about a "Duke Nukem Forever" like time-scale.

So no, thats not going to happen, just like big-titted, short-skirted honneys isnt going to happen.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 06:02 TorTorden

Seems so much wasted potential.

That sums up practicaly every MMO out there.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

3. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 27, 2008, 05:45 Sacrifice

I am somewhat disappointed that you start off as a Captain. I would prefer to start in Starfleet Academy, then transfer to a specific ship (servers could be named after ships), then work your way up from there, the end game should be you as a Captain, or perhaps "guilds" could have their own ships that require different positions to fill. Seems so much wasted potential.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo