Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Left 4 Dead hosting Nov 28, 2008, 14:39 rist3903

When I say party hats I am talking about any mods that contribute nothing at all to gameplay or atmosphere. The specific mod put party hats on tf2 classes and when medics died confetti and a unicycle would inexplicably pop out.

It would be so nice to be able to filter these out so I never had to see them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Left 4 Dead hosting Nov 28, 2008, 12:54 xXBatmanXx

Oh and I seem to get an awfull lot of stuttering at odd times, its weird its like the client and server go out of sync a lot, this even on low ping servers. Im not really sure its lag related.
How the hell did they manage to screw up the decent net-code of other Source games like this??? Valve really needs to fix things fast!

If you loaded the newest Nvidia drivers, rollback 1-2x. The newest drivers were wrecking HAVOC on my rig and many others.

I have an 8800gts

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Valve Nov 28, 2008, 11:40 DG

I think they were happy to emphasise their figures for market positioning.

Personally I initially I assumed* L4D would be in the bracket of Portal, TF2 etc. High quality, but reduced content and therefore priced around £20. So if I'd gone into a shop and see it priced the same as the other full AAA titles I might have felt that the others offered better value.

Here in the UK I've not seen any L4D adverts, though I've seen the Fallout 3 ad several times on the TV.

17. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2008, 11:22 Veinman

While I did encounter the difficulty changing issues and the VS mode that never materializes, I haven't encountered any custom content.

What is this party hat bit?

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2008, 11:15 Wowbagger_TIP

There is a one big gripe I have with the game. It is very very laggy. The netcode leaves a lot to be desired with higher pings

I've only had a couple of games (out of maybe 20-30 that I've played) turn out to be laggy. Most of the time it's been fine. Would be nice to see my ping to the server though. The way they do things with having you join a lobby first, and then searching for a dedicated server once everyone is ready, is kind of strange, but hasn't turned out to be as much of a problem as I had feared.

The custom mods running on some servers are annoying though. They need an option to prevent joining one of those.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2008, 11:16.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Left 4 Dead hosting Nov 28, 2008, 10:57 InBlack

Party hats (and other gazzilion and one mods out there) was one of many reasons why I quit playing Team Fortress 2. Man I hated that mod.

Even with the server browser, (which BTW is very buggy and has caused at least 2 CTD) its deceptively hard to find a decent server for L4D. Im sure its not so much an issue in the States but in Europe its total chaos.

Oh and I seem to get an awfull lot of stuttering at odd times, its weird its like the client and server go out of sync a lot, this even on low ping servers. Im not really sure its lag related.
How the hell did they manage to screw up the decent net-code of other Source games like this??? Valve really needs to fix things fast!

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2008, 11:02.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Left 4 Dead hosting Nov 28, 2008, 09:10 rist3903

I very much enjoy the game, but wish valve would hurry up and do something about this. I am not looking forward to playing against the inevitably party-hatted infected that are no doubt being cooked up by people at this moment.  

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2008, 08:26 theyarecomingforyou

This year has definitely been different though with the advertising being more in public places, billboards and such.
Yeah. There were posters of GTA4 on virtually every bus shelter and Fallout 3 advertising was also quite prominent.

Also, it would appear that if you attempt to play co-op on an admin specified versus server you will run into no special infected and after your first round you will be playing special infected against a quarry that never shows up.
Yeah, I had that. It was fucking annoying. I figured it must have been a custom server as when we quit back to lobby everything was set as it should have been.

Valve apparently intended their servers to be created as blank slates, but seem to have neglected to inform admins of this.
The whole server / matchmaking system is a disaster. You get no control over the games you join AND server admins can run custom mods to change the experience.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Left 4 Dead hosting Nov 27, 2008, 19:01 rist3903

I really hope that anyone here who is hosting a server has not specified difficulty or co-op/vs. These settings seem to play a merry hell on the people trying to enjoy the game, as the difficulty level must be reset at every checkpoint if the group wishes to play a harder or easier game than the admin has preset it to be. Also, it would appear that if you attempt to play co-op on an admin specified versus server you will run into no special infected and after your first round you will be playing special infected against a quarry that never shows up.

Valve apparently intended their servers to be created as blank slates, but seem to have neglected to inform admins of this.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2008, 20:27.

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 16:23 Krovven

I've never seen any game advertised at a cinema before and yet here they took prominence.

Weird. They've been showing game commercials in theatres over here for years. This year has definitely been different though with the advertising being more in public places, billboards and such.

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 16:15 theyarecomingforyou

Advertising budgets for games have increased considerably recently. The last time I went to the cinema I saw advertised: Mirror's Edge, Quantum Of Solace, Need For Speed and a couple of others I can't remember (maybe the PS3 version of Bioshock). I've never seen any game advertised at a cinema before and yet here they took prominence. It's good to see a great developer like Valve join the big boys of the industry, as their games have always matched / exceeded the competition. Clearly such an advertising campaign is merited based upon pre-order numbers, which vastly exceeded that of The Orange Box.

My hope is that Valve fix the terrible matchmaking / netplay and add more content. It would be nice to see some of the bugs fixed as well, like purple textures, missing reload animations, tanks falling off buildings, etc.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2008, 16:16.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 15:38 Krovven

I hate blog articles like this. They NEVER factor in that Valve were asked these questions, by the media. This article should be "Why are gaming media asking about developers marketing strategies?"

Regardless, it's obvious why they are putting so much into marketing. Releasing the game in the 3rd week of November, a new IP that has no brand recognition, right before Thanksgiving, surrounded by many other AAA titles, GoW2, CoD WaW, Fallout 3, and the list goes on. If you want to compete with the big boys for consumers dollars, you can't just "let the game stand on it's own", you have to let them know about it.

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 08:21 Quboid

The main reason I can see is ... it's getting them another few millions worth in free publicity thanks to Variety, Bluesnews et all. It does seem odd, yes, but maybe they're just trying a new idea, see how it works out. Although if it's just for publicity, they can't do this again as it will be old news.

How much do EA spend on NFS or FIFA? I haven't actually seen many L4D ads on the net but EA's titles get regular TV ads, so I'm guessing they spend a fair bit more. I suspect it's worth it, however wasteful it appears.

I played the demo. It looked like the same thing over and over and over. So I went back to playing WW2 games

- Quboid

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 06:46 InBlack

Ok thanks, Ill note that. Hmmm why did they make this a console command?? Dont they realise that 99% of the people out there cant use a console to save their life?

Very strange.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 04:44 osage no onna

Does anyone have any tips on how to find low ping servers with L4D?

Enable the developer console in the options, then just enter 'openserverbrowser' in it.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 03:53 InBlack

I got my hijacked Steam account back yesterday, and immediately procedeed to purchase L4D.

I have to say that overall Im very impressed. Content wise though, it is very bare, but the stuff thats in there is tons and tons of fun. Knowing that this is a Valve game, im pretty sure its going to get quite a bit of extra content later on.

There is a one big gripe I have with the game. It is very very laggy. The netcode leaves a lot to be desired with higher pings, and the lack of an in game server browser is carptastic.

Does anyone have any tips on how to find low ping servers with L4D?
I would be very grateful for any tips.

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 02:34 Jerykk

I understand your comment, but would a $10,000,000 marketing budget increase sales of King' Bounty enough to justify it?

I don't think any game can justify a $10 million marketing budget. That money would be much better spent on actual development of the game.

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 02:27 PHJF

King's Bounty remake?

Hey, I've tried!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 01:50 the_culture

How many people have heard of the King's Bounty remake?

I understand your comment, but would a $10,000,000 marketing budget increase sales of King' Bounty enough to justify it?

The article does have a point though, especially with L4D having so much going for it (FPS, Valve, zombies). I wonder if this is an anomoly or if this will be the same for HL2 Episode 3?

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2008, 01:21 Bet

Would be nice if the lesser known games got even 1/20 the advertising budget. How many people have heard of the King's Bounty remake?  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo