Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

2008 NIMF Report

The 13th annual MediaWise Video Game Report Card from National Institute on Media and the Family is online. They include a lengthy Parents' Guide to Video Games, a list of "E" and "T" rated games recommended for children, as well as a list of games to avoid for young children like Dead Space, Fallout 3, and Left 4 Dead, with every one of the games on that list already carrying an "M" rating. Their year in review includes some statistical breakdowns, though all of these are drawn from other sources. They seem to be more upbeat this time around, as the line about those for whom "video games once conjured images of violence and cruelty" may have once applied to them: "As video game technology continues to evolve, so does its influence in the lives of American families. Once perceived by some to be a hobby for the young and the isolated, the video game is now an undeniably mainstream medium and often a catalyst for social activity involving people of all ages. And just as video games once conjured images of violence and cruelty in the minds of many, the term 'video game' is now regularly accompanied by the term 'family entertainment.' Video game producers continue to release ultra-violent and mature-content titles, but increasingly, the big industry players are targeting parents and families as an important market for their products and services. Despite the controversial M-rated games (for Mature) still receiving much of the hype and the headlines, the vast majority of game titles have family-friendly ratings."

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: heh Nov 26, 2008, 22:29 Jerykk

I'd love to see their holiday video buying guide

Recommend: Dora, Bob the Builder, Sesame Street

Avoid: Hostel, Saw IV, The Hills Have Eyes

To be fair, the last three movies should probably be avoided by everyone, regardless of age.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: 2008 NIMF Report Nov 25, 2008, 21:12 Kxmode

Please tell me I'm not the only one who initially read the headline as "2008 MILF Report" Ahhh, the life of a dirty old man.

Well every one of the games on that list already carrying an "M" rating as noted by Blue... so... ummm... hmmm...

HEY LOOK. ITS CAKE! Cake

6. Re: Left 4 Dead Nov 25, 2008, 18:36 CreamyBlood

Is it possible that Valve pulled the Left 4 Dead demo? Can't find it on steam?!

Yeah, it was kind of weird for me as I didn't know about the whole one week demo thing.

Two days before it was supposed to go 'live' for people who didn't have it preorded they had a link to the demo on their L4D page. But it didn't mention that you had to preorder to play it, it just kept talking me to the same page. I thought their code was broken.

So I downloaded it off of usenet or a torrent or something and played single player. Didn't know it was exclusive to preorders so I'm not sure if that makes me a pirate, downloading a demo two days before I was supposed to. I'm sure you can find it somewhere, depending on your morals.

5. heh Nov 25, 2008, 17:54 Lokust

I'd love to see their holiday video buying guide

Recommend: Dora, Bob the Builder, Sesame Street

Avoid: Hostel, Saw IV, The Hills Have Eyes

That list reads condescending as hell, but I guess some people are slow and need the help...

4. Left 4 Dead Nov 25, 2008, 17:23 4D-Boxing

Is it possible that Valve pulled the Left 4 Dead demo? Can't find it on steam?!

Some love it some hate it so I have to try it before I buy it, not making the same mistake i did with Far Cry 2.

If anyone has info ont bis that would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, you can disregard my question..just found out that the demo was pulled...that tells me that the demo might discourage people from buying the game, in other words he game is not very good.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 17:39.

3. Re: 2008 NIMF Report Nov 25, 2008, 16:39 Cutter

Ok, let's create it. I'd have to put Jillian Barbarie at the top of that list for myself. She's fun, she's hot, and you just know she's a freak! Loves a little freaky-deaky!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: 2008 NIMF Report Nov 25, 2008, 15:27 nin

Please tell me I'm not the only one who initially read the headline as "2008 MILF Report"

Nope. Same here.

edit MILF and Cookie!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 15:33.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: 2008 NIMF Report Nov 25, 2008, 15:19 Mr. Tact

Please tell me I'm not the only one who initially read the headline as "2008 MILF Report" Ahhh, the life of a dirty old man.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo