Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Good Old Games Update

GOG.com has word on more good old games newly added to their DRM-free online marketplace. They expand their offering for Epic's Unreal series, adding Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal II: The Awakening SE. They also now sell FlatOut, offering the breakneck competition of Bugbear's racing game.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 26, 2008, 14:04 4D-Boxing

I thought nobody could make SS3 because no single legal entity owns all the rights?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 26, 2008, 01:09 Jerykk

I wonder if EA really is making System Shock 3. In all truth, I'm not sure how feasible it is at this point. Irrational already made Bioshock, so if EA tries to make SS3 like SS2, they'll be accused of ripping off Bioshock because the masses don't know any better. EA also made Dead Space which has a very similar setting and premise to SS and from what I've heard, Dead Space 2 is already in development.

At this point, I don't really see how they would market SS3 without it seeming derivative of newer, more mainstream titles.

10. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 20:30 Krovven

What's your point? Nothing you said would lead anyone to believe there is even the slightest chance at putting the System Shock games on GoG. If they are going to offer digital downloads of their old games, it's going to be on their own online store first.

The fact that EA tried Crysis and Crysis Warhead on Steam as well as their own online store is in itself an amazing step for them, and was probably more of a test than anything.

Says you and furthermore if we all took that attitude we might as well pack it all in right now and just bow to EA

Yea cus more of the world using logical thought to figure shit out would be a bad thing. /sarcasm

9. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 20:06 Bluesfanboi

"I'm not trying to be mean, or destroy hopes of System Shock series hitting GoG...but the reality of it is, it's highly unlikely."

Says you and furthermore if we all took that attitude we might as well pack it all in right now and just bow to EA.

EA is a weak and growing weaker company with a bad, if not the worst, reputation in all of gaming-dom. So EA isn't going to get any more clout than it has now. System Shock's financial value to EA decreases by the day and EA might as well make whatever money they can from those titles while they can.

8. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 17:19 Fuzzmatang

Yeah EA is supposedly working on SS3 aren't they? I foresee a free or bundled release by EA in the future. To get your goodwill before they announce their limited to 2 install DRM that comes with it.

And who hasn't downloaded SS or SS2 from underdogs (when you still could) or other abandonware sites (For the record, I had the floppy version of SS and have the "EA Classics" version of SS 2)?

It's not like Looking Glass Studios is going to get your support of $5-$10 dollars now...

7. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 15:44 Krovven

Maybe because both of them are on the very top of the GoG Wish List?

And you think Electronic Arts would put it on GoG (DRM free for that matter), when they don't even have it on their own Digital Store, because...?

I'm not trying to be mean, or destroy hopes of System Shock series hitting GoG...but the reality of it is, it's highly unlikely.

6. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 15:25 Rosco

I really don't get why people think the System Shock games are coming to GoG.

Maybe because both of them are on the very top of the GoG Wish List?

Consoles are schwag.

5. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 15:03 Krovven

The original System Shocks will be my next GoG purchase

So what you are saying is you aren't going to buy another game on GoG?

I really don't get why people think the System Shock games are coming to GoG. They are published by EA.

4. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 14:14 KilgoreTrout

I recently played through System Shock 2 with the new model and texture mods. It was excellent. I enjoyed it far more than BioShock.

If someone could make a hi-res version of Terra Nova I would buy it in an instant. Hell, I'd probably even buy even with its original 320x400 "high resolution mode".

3. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 13:50 Bluesfanboi

The original System Shocks will be my next GoG purchase, the Fallouts work perfectly with zero issue and I paid $9.99 total for them! But they are making quite a compelling library...There's a boat load of Win95/DOS stuff that needs massaging to work on XP and GoG has great...hands.

I uncritically paid $49.99 for Master of Orion III, years ago and that betrayal still stings so bad I'll never again pay retail. I think $30 is my price point for a new game, more and I'll wait you greedy bastards out.

2. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 13:18 Krovven

Likelihood of seeing any EA games on GoG.com is about 0.0%  

1. Re: Good Old Games Update Nov 25, 2008, 12:58 Rosco

Nice, but I already have all of the Unreal games, sans UT3, and they all work fine on XP right out of the box.

Now, how about System Shock and System Shock 2? Bring it!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 12:58.

Consoles are schwag.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo