Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming

Bethesda Softworks Announces Creation Kit and First Downloadable Content for Fallout 3 announces plans to release additional content for Fallout 3 over the next four months, beginning with the release of the G.E.C.K. (Garden of Eden Creation Kit) editing tools for Windows next month, followed by three DLC packages, one in each of the first three months of next year. Here's word on the editor: "The release of the G.E.C.K. provides the community with tools that will allow players to expand the game any way they wish. Users can create, modify, and edit any data for use with Fallout 3, from building landscapes, towns, and locations to writing dialogue, creating characters, weapons, creatures, and more." DLC released for Games for Windows and Xbox 360 begin in January with the release of Operation: Anchorage, followed in February by The Pitt, and in March they will release Broken Steel, with each package promising new quests, items, and content for the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Dec 2, 2008, 14:58 Dwarf_Snowninja

Unless you have a dart gun.

Or just have Charon mow them down for you -_-. I found it somewhat silly that the "ally" ai is either grossly overpowered or plain stupid (stepping in your los when you're firing with the gatling laser for one...).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 14:41 Wilson

At least Deathclaws didn't turn out to be total pushovers.

Unless you have a dart gun.

54. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 13:13 Ecthelion

Uh, I do play with the radio off because I find the radio music annoying. I like ambient music and the ambient music in FO3 is pretty forgettable.
I didn't really pay attention to the ambient music, but I did notice that the radio music could get annoying. It would have been a lot better if there were more songs for each station, so that they wouldn't loop as much. And quite a lot of the 40's music on GNR is just irritating period (although they all fit the retro theme very well). The worst part is that savegames store the current radio station position, so you'll keep hearing the same part of the song or announcement every time you load that save.

It was nice to occasionally hear 3-Dogg (that's the hip-hop version of his name ) acknowledge the player's actions though.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2008, 13:17.

53. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 13:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Super Mutants are perfectly fine as they are now, too.

Except that they can easily be killed by second level character playing on very hard difficulty. What was once a major threat that took skill, tactics, and a little luck to overcome -- at least until you found hardened power armor and a modified plasma rifle -- is now a common, unremarkable enemy that is easily dispatched. At least Deathclaws didn't turn out to be total pushovers.

52. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 12:06 Jerykk

The music is bland? Uhh, I'll be the first to admit that the songs on the radio stations repeat a little too fast and often even for my tastes but calling it bland and especially forgettable is bullshit. Unless you play with radio stations off which, admittedly, isn't bullshit but borderline retarded and hardly the developers fault.

Uh, I do play with the radio off because I find the radio music annoying. I like ambient music and the ambient music in FO3 is pretty forgettable.

Super Mutants are perfectly fine as they are now, too. It's pretty unrealistic to suggest Super Mutants can just find Big Guns and large Energy Weapons willy-nilly while you, as the PC, have to scour for them or kill some Enclave. I'm sure a Nailboard is easier to come by and I'm also sure Super Mutants don't really give a flying fuck what they kill you with.

Super Mutants are supposed to be big, dumb but very strong brutes. They prefer power over finesse or accuracy so they go after the biggest weapons they can get and their brute strength is conducive to carrying heavy weapons.

Raiders, same deal. Why should you as the PC be able to lug around various huge guns but Raiders can't?

Raiders are supposed to be common thugs. Big Guns and Energy Weapons are supposed to be rare and if the Super Mutants are taking them all, it makes more sense for the Raiders to stick with Small Guns which are much more common. In addition, Raiders lack the strength of Super Mutants, so hauling a Flamer or Minigun around is far less practical for them.

The key point of these changes is to make Super Mutants a much, much larger threat than Raiders.

51. Re: And so Nov 26, 2008, 10:20 Wowbagger_TIP

If it's something useful and cool, like the Mage Tower, I'll probably get it.
The Mage Tower (Frostcrag) sucked, just like most of the rest of the DLCs for Oblivion. It was barren inside, and it had little functionality except as a place to drop your loot. The only good thing about it was the overall look of the building, which the modders used as a starting point to create something much cooler than what Bethesda made.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13953

Now we'll see if the modders can make Fallout 3 into something fun to play. It was remarkably like Oblivion in that I got to about level 14 or 15 and just got tired of the repetitiveness of the environment (i don't ever want to go through another subway map) and the boring combat against the retarded AI. Luckily L4D was out then, so it was a smooth transition. I'll just wait for it to get fixed before playing anymore.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2008, 10:50.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

50. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 07:41 abraxas

I know I'm new here, despite being a frequent visitor of this site for ages. The whole FO3 discussion here has kind of prompted me to (finally) sign up and bitch at you guys a bunch.

I find it kind of amazing how many people are bitching and crying like little NMA fanboys who just got their family raped by Bethesda. There is a simple solution to all your FO3 problems.. here it comes, don't play the game! Easy as pie.

Some of you are honestly grasping at straws here to find things to bitch about when it comes to FO3. They "fucked" with the BoS? Puh-lease. Cry more!

The music is bland? Uhh, I'll be the first to admit that the songs on the radio stations repeat a little too fast and often even for my tastes but calling it bland and especially forgettable is bullshit. Unless you play with radio stations off which, admittedly, isn't bullshit but borderline retarded and hardly the developers fault.

Super Mutants are perfectly fine as they are now, too. It's pretty unrealistic to suggest Super Mutants can just find Big Guns and large Energy Weapons willy-nilly while you, as the PC, have to scour for them or kill some Enclave. I'm sure a Nailboard is easier to come by and I'm also sure Super Mutants don't really give a flying fuck what they kill you with.

Raiders, same deal. Why should you as the PC be able to lug around various huge guns but Raiders can't? Grasping at straws, as I said.

Sorry for kind of singling your comment out here Jerykk, it just was the last one posted and I didn't bother reading through most of the dribble others have spewed.

To get back on topic a little, I'm excited for the GECK because it means loads and loads of awesome user generated content and the DLCs are looking great too (no more hurfy-durfy Horse Armor bullshit, thank god).

49. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 01:03 Jerykk

Bethesda's fucking with the Brotherhood, is this alright?

Uh, they already fucked with the Brotherhood of Steel in FO3. I don't think the DLC can be much worse.

On a side note, why didn't Bethesda get Mark Morgan to do the soundtrack for FO3? The current music is rather bland and forgettable, unlike the soundtracks to the first two games.

On yet another side note, here's a patch that looks to rebalance many elements of FO3 in order to make it more challenging and RPG-like:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1210

It's looking good so far but there are some more changes I'd like to see. For example, Super Mutants should only carry Big Guns and large Energy weapons. And the Super Sledge too. It's pretty retarded when I see a Super Mutant carrying a nailed board or a hunting rifle. Similarly, Raiders should only carry Small Guns. I don't want to see another Raider with a Gatling Laser. Oh yeah, your gun skills should only affect accuracy. Damage should be determined by the gun itself and your distance from the target.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2008, 03:34.

48. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 26, 2008, 00:51 Tanto Edge

Now masturbating in approval.
Three months? Too long.
I'll take new models and faces for next week, Alex.

They will release Broken Steel? Are we (the Community) okay with this?
Bethesda's fucking with the Brotherhood, is this alright?
Evolution of a story. Okay, I'll be brave.

It's amazing how well I type with this much beer in me.
It's fucking uncanny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

47. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 20:58 Kxmode

Not drunk brothers idiot annoying friend

DLC

I'm saving all my frothing HATRED for the Bitch King. No... not NUCLEAR WATCHDOG.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 21:08.

46. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 20:50 The Half Elf

Not drunk brothers idiot annoying friend?

Come on kxmode put some frothing HATRED into it

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

45. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 20:37 Kxmode

Fallout 3 = drunk brother asks for a ride home
Fallout 1 and 2 = hot and drunk chick asks for a ride home

44. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 20:19 Razerious

I was actually pretty optimistic about Fallout 3 when the first details about it was released, but then after seeing the gameplay videos and getting more info I got pessimistic. When I bought it my expectations were low, but the game is actually a pretty good action game.

Problem is, it just didn't give me the same "feeling" the originals gave me. I hope some of the fan made mods can fix the shortcomings of the vanilla version of Fallout 3.

43. Re: And so Nov 25, 2008, 20:04 Reactor

I'm still waiting for the game to work. I guess it's back to disabling three of my four cores, turning off shadows and HDR, and hanging out with the thousands of people inhabiting the Bethesda technical support forum.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 20:12.

42. Re: And so Nov 25, 2008, 19:57 Scottish Martial Arts

I bet some of you feel pretty stupid now?

Fallout 3 plays nothing like Fallout 1 or 2 and retains all of the flaws of Oblivion. Wasn't that exactly what we said would happen? A great PC franchise has been consolized, just like us "whiners" said it would be, so I'm not sure why exactly I'm supposed to be feeling foolish.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 20:02.

41. And so Nov 25, 2008, 19:51 Creston

All the endless handwringing and mudslinging and accusations of the bad bad bad evil Pete Hines and how he's raping the Fallout fans and is ruining the franchise yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda

was all for nothing.

I bet some of you feel pretty stupid now?

There is already an excellent modding scene for Fallout 3 (I'm running 8 mods myself already), and once the tools are available we're going to see some fucking amazing stuff. I fervently hope for an OOO style mod for Fallout, and definitely more monsters/variations of monsters.

As for the content, we'll see. If it's just one base with 32 raiders and one new gun, I doubt I'll be very interested. If it's something useful and cool, like the Mage Tower, I'll probably get it.

I love Fallout 3, though I wish the wasteland was bigger. You can run diagonally from one corner to the other in ~ 7 minutes. I'm not really sure why Bethesda keeps making their maps smaller. Console memory limitations I'm guessing?

Creston

40. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 19:37 The Half Elf

I have to admit I'm surprised. I really thought Beth would hold back the tools until they had pumped out a few DLC's first. I wonder if the demand by the mod community put pressure on them?

Speaking of Mod's.. I sorta want to see the DC area re-done before the war. Or even a Day 1 of the war with everyone scrambling for the Vaults.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

39. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 18:25 Frijoles

you were claiming they delayed the construction set due to boobs or some other ridiculous statement

They delayed it because they had to rename it from Construction Set to GECK. Dur.

Edit: *This is tongue-in-cheek

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 18:25.

38. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 18:23 Bone43

Once they release the tools and a few patches I might just pick this up
for PC. By then the user mods and fix's should start coming out and like Oblivion it just doesn't seem that great in only vanilla.

37. Re: Fallout 3 Editor and DLC Coming Nov 25, 2008, 18:00 Donkey_Punch

"If I had just spent 3 years making that game I'd be on vacation instead of working on tools for ungrateful people like you."

Yes, because everyone knows game developers prefer to sit at home not making money rather than working.

Ungrateful? Since when did people start thinking that the developers are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts? They waited to see what the sales were going to be before deciding on this. Good sales = patches and goodies. Bad sales = unpatched abandoned game.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo