Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Alert 3 Demo

The promised single-player demo for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 is now available, offering the chance to check out the new installment in the alternate-reality real-time strategy series. The demo is a whopping 1.8 GB download, which debuted as expected on GameSpot (registration required), and mirrors can be found on AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FileFront, Fileplay, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, Games On Net, and Strategy Informer.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 25, 2008, 22:22 CreamyBlood

Does the demo use any sort of machine hijacking copy protection?

Ridiculous I'd have to ask...but I do. It's EA.

I'm not sure as I just installed Bioshock a few days ago. There's a directory (\Docs&Settings\User\AppData\Securom\UserData) where it hides some files but none of them changed during installation or play.

It also has never tried to call home either during installation or play. Of course this doesn't really mean anything, just that I didn't see anything obvious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: What happened? Nov 25, 2008, 09:02 shul

I don't know WTF happened, but this is just BLEH.

My thoughts exactly. maybe we outgrew the whole RTS thing ?

17. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 25, 2008, 05:55 Optimaximal

Eh, if I recall correctly, WiC has no base building and resource points are automatically returned to you whenever a unit dies. That doesn't exactly sound like genius stuff to me.
You get an instant partial refund and the rest are returned too you over time...

Basically, if you rush the enemy and he/she defeats your units, you can either buy some cheaper units to defend instantly against the counter-attack or hope that you don't get blitzed whilst your points recharge. There's a lot of strategy involved in deciding what units to use/sacrifice vs. your opponents.
Then there's the seperate resource counter for your support/special weapons - do you save up for the MOAB or Nuke, or just saturate the area with less effective but still deadly (if used correctly) artillery.

Couple this with the co-op multiplayer which assigns each player on a team a different role and you have a particularly deep game.

16. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 25, 2008, 03:58 Hanneth

I don't know, but later version of the Spore malware demo did. I got an early creature trial thingy and it didn't, but I think EA is attaching malware to all their products now.

15. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 23:42 JohnBirshire

Does the demo use any sort of machine hijacking copy protection?

Ridiculous I'd have to ask...but I do. It's EA.

14. What happened? Nov 24, 2008, 23:20 The Half Elf

Just tried the demo after listening to the 3 tanks talk to each other in the tutorial, said screw that and tried a mission.

I don't know WTF happened, but this is just BLEH.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 21:27 Wowbagger_TIP

WiC is a much better game than RA3. I don't know how RA3 is even considered an RTS. There's no S involved. It's more like RTRF, real-time rush-fest. There's no time allowed for tactics or strategy. Just one big melee.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 19:25 cronik

On a graphical note, the water effects are pretty amazing

The water effects are wonderful and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this!

11. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 19:16 Tumbler

WiC has no base building and resource points are automatically returned to you whenever a unit dies. That doesn't exactly sound like genius stuff to me.

To be fair it doesn't take a genius to play WiC.

And it's fun. And a lot of stuff explodes. And there are awesome effects and graphics. And you don't feel like you're playing an RTS made by fisher price.

And it doesn't cost $50, and it won't require you to activate it every time you install it, and it won't stop working after 2 installs.

OH! And there are a bunch of free online maps...

But other than that you should totally go with RA3.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 18:24 Jerykk

And the actual gameplay was like a dumbed down version of C&C 3.

Really? That's pretty bad. How does it compare to Generals? I think Generals (Zero Hour specifically) is the deepest C&C yet.

9. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 17:56 Karl_L

It was embarrassing to be caught playing this game.
Its really really trashy.
And the actual gameplay was like a dumbed down version of C&C 3.

Jerykk
And yet it was genius

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2008, 17:58.

8. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 17:53 Jerykk

Eh, if I recall correctly, WiC has no base building and resource points are automatically returned to you whenever a unit dies. That doesn't exactly sound like genius stuff to me.  

7. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 17:31 Overon

When you compare CC any one of them to World in Conflict it's like comparing a genius to a moron. I will let you figure out which is the genius and which is the moron.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2008, 17:32.

6. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 17:30 MrBone

RA3 takes some getting used to due to its incredible cornball take on units and whatnot, but it is actually pretty fun in the end. On a graphical note, the water effects are pretty amazing. The cutscenes really add to the overall "fun" factor IMO.  

5. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 17:19 Kamakazie

Have any of you haters actually played this game? It is far better than C&C 3 and the travesty that was C&C Generals.  

4. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 16:32 RP

The C&C series has reached the point where more time and money go into the cutscenes than the actual game.

If I wanted to see a B movie, I'd pay $7 and not $50.

3. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 16:06 Tumbler

I'd suggest giving World in Conflict a try if you're looking for an RTS game. You might have already played it but chances are you missed out on this title. The SP side of the game is surprisingly good. I'm normally only interested in MP but when my Internet Connection went out I had to play some SP for a few hours.

WiC's SP campaign is pretty damned good. I picked up a used copy for $15 shipped off amazon. I'd suggest giving that a shot.

I tried the beta for RA3 and based on that and the limited activation BS I'd say $50 for this game is an absolute joke.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 16:06 Caveman

In before Red Alert bashing because people jump on the hate bandwagon because it's the cool thing to do.  

1. Re: Red Alert 3 Demo Nov 24, 2008, 16:03 NobleAtreides

selling my collector edition for $5. I should have quit at ZeroHour. Well come to think of it, I did.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo