Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2008, 09:16 CreamyBlood

You're right. I'm no cable engineer but I think they go through some very tricky stuff to shove fifty channels or so into their analog pipe just to get it all out the other end.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2008, 16:25 Bodolza

Cable is most definitely not always digital. Any channel you can get without a digital receiver from your cable company is analog. DirectTV and EchoStar are all digital, but not all satellite is digital, either.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2008, 10:46 xXBatmanXx

18% Of HD Owners Think Standard Def Is HD - And 34% of U.S. households now own at least 1 HD set....

Hilarious. I also love DTV and Comcast takling about "Digital Cable". NOTHING TO DO WITH HD - but everyone buys into it. Hay r-tard, cable was digital in the first place. ugh. It sure as shit WASN'T ANALOG!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 21:32 Fion

... and 99% of them bring them home, hook the cable line into them directly and go 'this is it? Whats all the buzz about?'

L2HD PEOPLE! :p

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 21:25 Kxmode

What about data indicating 18% of Americans are blind ?

Or 33% can't read

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 20:49 banddirector

I bought a BluRay player for 169 yesterday.

What kind?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 20:15 Enahs

I bought a BluRay player for 169 yesterday.
It is worth it.
Within the next 6 months and the players are costing $100 dollars, the sales will increase greatly. As the sales start to increase, the cost of the BluRay movies will be able to decrease due to large volume being sold.

It is a decent format.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 17:17 Bone43

Blu-Ray will go the way of Sonys other great ones like SACD and BetaMax.
In a tough economy most people just are not going to spend the money for Blu-Ray.
I have a PS3 and a up scaling DVD player, yes I can tell the difference on my 50 plasma in 1080p. Blu-Ray has better colors and a shaper image, but the cost just does not merit the difference in cost its just not that great.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 16:14 MMORPGHoD

Yup. That's what I'm waiting for. Get verizon fios when it's available, drop cable TV, and get set up with tv/movies over the internet.. hopefully before 2011.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 16:06 dryden555

movies on blu-ray disks are still too expensive unless you are a true movie buff. I think many consumers feel the same way when shopping at BestBuy for movies to buy. It wouldnt surprise me if regular DVD's are still greatly outselling blu-ray disks. I'm not convinced blu-ray will ever be as popular as standard DVD disks, now that we have internet movie streaming with NetFlix, etc.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 15:30 MMORPGHoD

All the forecasts I've seen continue to be revised, downward. It's certainly difficult to call it a success when the benchmarks for such success are constantly being revised. These reports seem to neglect to mention the number of DVD movies and DVD players still being sold.

What is your criteria for success? Do you believe that bluray DVD players will reach 32 million in 2011 as predicted in 2007?

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-178976697.html

Might as well just call it PS3 sales right now. How about if you take into account only players that aren't PS3s? And what percentage of PS3s are actually be used for blu-ray movies? Tying blu-ray to the PS3 was a great move by Sony, because the total number of blu-ray players out there would have been a fraction of what it is now without them. But now they have to wait to find out if people want to spend the money on blu-ray movies, even if they already own the player.

I believe the price point of blu-ray movies is too high. People will pay for innovative products they consider worth the price, as long as they can make use of the product and experience the benefit. They aren't moronic if they decide the benefit isn't worth the cost. Buying everything that comes on the market any any price wouldn't be smart either and would be just as harmful to true innovation.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 14:16 Ataneruo

I never compared XP to Vista. I implied that the attitude of "things are just fine the way they are" is moronic, since with it there would be no point in development of Windows 7 or other OS.

Please explain, what are your criteria for BD "taking off"? Because as far as I can tell, it is.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2008, 14:16.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 13:30 MMORPGHoD

Ha, XP -> Vista is nowhere near "horse and buggy -> automobile. XP -> Vista is more like Toyota Camry -> Lexus. Although I'm probably insulting Lexus..

I'm not surprised that bruray isn't taking off. Most people are happy with a decent upscaling DVD player anyways without the extra DRM. I'm still part of that 76% who don't own a HDTV too.

Analyst revises 2008 Blu-ray sales downward by 25%
http://www.betanews.com/article/Analyst_revises_2008_Bluray_sales_downward_by_25/1224533315

And I'm sure it'll be worse than expected with this economy...

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 12:28 Ataneruo

Why upgrade from XP when it works fine?

Why upgrade from DVD when it works fine?

Wow, if everyone had that attitude we'd still be living in the stone age. The horse and buggy worked "fine" too but I'm glad I have a motor vehicle to get around. My DVDs work "fine" but I love BD because it works "much better".

Seriously.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2008, 12:31.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 11:58 Tumbler

Blu-Ray was the primary reason I passed on the PS3. That trojan horse wasn't going to do anything for gaming and Blu-Ray has the same problems as vista. It costs a lot, and people don't need or want it.

Why upgrade from XP when it works fine?

Why upgrade from DVD when it works fine?

No one is going to miss owning physical movies and in the next couple years companies are going to make it ridiculously easy to download movies from multiple sources.

People think that "owning" a movie is important but in my experience I own plenty of movies and would have saved myself plenty of money if I'd only rented them instead. They just sit their doing nothing.

I think transformers got the most viewings, and 99% of those were just to have something on in the background while I did work or whatever.

Plus with Tivo? I have more than enough content to watch. I don't need to be running out to buy $30 BD discs that I watch one time.

I can't wait for the day when brand new movies, the kind people are stealing via torrents, show up to download for a price on their major release dates. Convenience is becoming the new commodity. And people want to have their entertainment delivered to them in their homes, which I believe is something that entertainment industries are finally figuring out.

I'll pay to watch movies in my living room instead a theater hoping I'll get a good seat after standing in line for overprice popcorn and soda. I already avoid the movies as much as possible, this change is overdue and frankly I'm happy to see it come.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2008, 11:40 jm0ris0n

What about data indicating 18% of Americans are blind ?  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo