Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned

This press release announces Square Enix has plans for three new expansions for Final Fantasy XI, with all three add-ons for the cross-platform MMORPG to be released exclusively via digital distribution. Word is: "The expansions will be made available simultaneously worldwide for all FINAL FANTASY XI platforms. The three new expansions have been created by Masato Kato, one of the minds behind the original FINAL FANTASY XI storyline, spanning from its very beginning through to the Rise of the Zilart expansion." The add-ons are titled A Crystalline Prophecy Ode of Life Bestowing, A Moogle Kupo d'Etat Evil in Small Doses, and A Shantotto Ascension The Legend Torn, Her Empire Born, and word on availability is: "The first expansion is set to be released in Spring of 2009, with follow-ups scheduled to be made available every few months thereafter. At present, these are planned to be released chronologically in the order in which they are listed above."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 24, 2008, 11:06 DanL

Same here. Level 66 with my WHM, 60 WAR and artifact gear for both. It was alot of fun playing that, and it had more depth than any MMO I've played. Remember the elements counted alot into everything, light vs dark, fire, water, wind, etc. It even factored into crafting and such. The world was very well crafted. I miss it now. Its not the gold farmers who killed it, well not entirely. It was more the botters.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 20:43 Caveman

7 jobs at level 75...wow, and I thought I played the game hardcore. The most I got was my redmage at 60 with all my artifact armor.  

10. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 20:41 Flatline

Your friend is hardcore.

My friend is addicted. He's completely given up on the rest of his life.

Also, the grinding is "easier" (I got to 20 the one time I played it in about a month), but the end game takes longer. Look at Pandemonium Warden, which originally took over 24 hours of combat, without a break, to beat, and that's after 3 weeks of grinding to get the items to unlock the fight.

The game is designed like a cult. Every time my friend has tried to quit, between the game and the people he groups with, he gets dragged back in. He went on vacation and got crap because he left for a week.

God forbid you have even a week of life outside the game. You screw your group over if you do that, and deal with dozens of people giving you crap.

9. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 18:53 beigemore

I recently quit this game. I played it since the US release on PC and had seven jobs at level 75. The storylines and cutscenes in this game are great.. it just takes so freakin' long to get anything done, though. It was a great game when I didn't have any real schedule, but now there's no time for it and WoW fits in better.  

8. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Pl Nov 23, 2008, 17:06 Wilson

I had always hoped FFXI would become a little less like the average MMO and a little more like an FF game. Fortunately, I don't have time to play MMOs these days. Still, I was disappointed for the year or so that I did play it, mostly for the reasons already covered in this thread.  

7. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 16:19 Caveman

Your friend is hardcore. Though I've heard since I left the game about 2-3 years ago they really lightened up on the grinding. You get alot mroe exp per kill and alot less exp loss when dying. The exp required to level has also been reduced. Can anyone confirm this?

Another thing that pissed me off about this game was the goldfarmers absolutely destroyed the economy. Eventually everything cost an arm and a leg, even crappy gear. I know I had to resort buying gil myself many times to get by. I still remember camping outside of Bastok waiting for Leaping Lizzy and Bastardized Bottomburp.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2008, 16:20.

6. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 15:47 Flatline

Crap... I guess I never really will see my friend again.

He started playing like 5 years ago, and I've seen him all of like 6 times since then, because he plays this game 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. If he's not sleeping or working, he's playing this goddamn game.

5. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:52 sdgundamx

I don't know what it is like now, but leveling was never really an issue when it first came out if you had a full group. The game basically forced you to utilize full groups in order to level at an acceptable pace. What cost a lot of time, though, was finding a group. There was all this elitism about the gear you had. Didn't have the best gear for your job/level? Then good luck getting a group.

The Catch-22 was of course that good gear cost gil. And the game was designed in such a way that you made almost zero money while grouped. In order to get gil you had to go solo farm for hours at a time. That's really what finally caused me to quit the game. I spent more time farming for gil to afford arrows for my ranger than actually grouped and leveling.

Still, I did have a lot of good times in this game. I played it far longer than I did WoW. FFXI was far more unforgiving, and I think that's what I liked about it. Dying hurt pretty bad and it was essential to work as a team when you were grouped. WoW always felt too easy to me, although granted I never did any of the high level raids. FFXI had plenty of flaws to be sure, but when you finally did find a good group it got really fun.

4. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:40 Phaint

I don't know how you guys did it... the grind in FFXI was INSANE when it came out. I remember it took me and a friend a month to hit lvl 12 on our first jobs. We couldnt take it anymore and ended up quitting. Sucks cause I really enjoyed that universe but the leveling took too much of a toll on me, and this coming from a guy who played everquest for 4-5 years and sat down for 20 hours straight once camping the damn Ancient Cyclops. I really wish I had gotten into it though, the Bard looked soooo sexy.  

3. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:27 Caveman

I really regret quitting this MMO years ago  

2. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:13 DanL

Good to see this mmo is still alive and well. This was the real MMO that I really played and loved. WoW is great, but lacks alot of the depth (at least in PVE) that this game has.  

1. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:06 necrosis

Wow surprised this got a post like this on Blue's. All the other expansions just got a link in the other 'grouped' sections.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo