Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead

Valve announces that Left 4 Dead is now showing up in retail stores worldwide, following the digitally distributed debut of the multiplayer zombie shooter earlier this week via Steam. In case the game's well-publicized $10 million marketing budget has missed you (I actually haven't seen many mainstream ads for it yet myself), here's a bit on the game: "Set in a modern day survival-horror universe, the game casts you as one of four survivors in an epic struggle against swarming hordes of zombies and terrifying mutants. The four expansive campaigns offer single player and co-operative game modes. Left 4 Dead also features a Versus mode that allows players to take control of one of four types of 'Boss Infected,' with each 'Boss' possessing a mutant ability instead of traditional firearms. In addition, Left 4 Dead offers gamers the chance to go 'behind the scenes' of the making of the game via the 'Director's Commentary' mode."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 11:55 rist3903

Thanks. Momentarily spaced on it.

I remember making a detonate dispenser key for team fortress classic. You would get a message that an enemy was using it, hit that and they died. Good times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 11:46 Krovven

Make an autoexec.cfg file in the same folder and put custom binds in there.  

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 11:40 rist3903

I tried to configure a suicide key but my config.cfg reverts back to what it is on steamcloud apparently. How did you add your kill key?  

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 03:49 OpticNerve

Just to warn you all, voting in a difficulty vote change during a campaign can mess up your chances of getting an achievement related to a difficulty, even if you switch it back to what it previously was.

Also some tips:

- When a survivor is latched on or pounced on by a smoker or hunter, he or she is invulnerable to friendly fire. This goes for both the Co-op and Versus mode.

- You can shoot at any part of a Smoker's tongue to detach the victim.

- Haven't done it myself yet, but I've heard that Hunters can pounce on and off walls when you're playing as one in Versus.

- Hunters start growling when crouching and preparing to pounce, so if you're playing one, don't crouch near Survivors if you don't want to be heard.

- When playing as a Boomer, you can configure a key to suicide and explode on purpose. Good to use if you're near a group of Survivors and don't want to be melee'd (pushed back).

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 04:14.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 01:47 xXBatmanXx

No word from Prez if he wants in My SteamID is Strumiker - can talk there if anyone is interested in splitting it. $37.50 is a bit cheaper than the $50

I'd be willing to do that. My steam ID is Prez. Exciting, huh?

Sorry bud - we didn't wait for ya....missed on that one.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 23:54 Krovven

It was running l4d_vs_farm01_hilltop, someone joined and I guess they tried to use Call Vote to change it to Campaign...but the server is set to Versus mode.

Think I have this figured out now. Basically people looking for a Campaign server from the Lobby system are being connected to my server, even though it is set to Versus mode. When this happens, it switches to a Campaign map, but retains the 8 player setting, which means Infected is expecting human control, which means that the the players trying to play Campaign will never see an AI infected boss during that play.

Really sucks that this whole system was so poorly thought out and tested, when Valve puts so much thought and testing into the actual gameplay.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 23:46 Prez

No word from Prez if he wants in My SteamID is Strumiker - can talk there if anyone is interested in splitting it. $37.50 is a bit cheaper than the $50

I'd be willing to do that. My steam ID is Prez. Exciting, huh?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 21:04 xXBatmanXx

Login to steam.

THANKS DUDE!

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 21:16.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 21:03 Strumiker

---
Thanks to you too Now I just have to wait for my slow connection to finish downloading it gogo 250k/sec DSL (we live out in the middle of Nowhere, ND)

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 21:53.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 20:58 xXBatmanXx

Loved the demo too... my wife and I are thinking about doing the 4 pack. We could split the 4 Prez Just need one more person

Have a fourth yet?

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 20:44 n0slet

Gotta say my biggest and only real complaint with this game is their god AWFUL server finding. Why they didn't just use a normal server browser like TF2, HL2, CSS has is beyond me. 90% of the games it finds for you are pinging insanely high, so much so I don't even think they take ping into consideration when finding you a server with the match maker. Least they could have done is search for a low ping game and then look at how full it is, or for the love of god re-implement the server browser. I mean you can get to it now by typing OpenServerBrowser in the console but none of the servers work for it cause they all return a Null SteamID when trying to connect unless the server set it up a certain way, which most folks don't know how to do it seems like.

I understand they wanted folks to be able to find games faster but I see no reason they couldn't have both options (their match maker, and the normal server browser) both available. Can you imagine when custom content starts being released for it? Going to be awful the way it is now. If I wanted this god awful type of server finding crap I'd buy a console. Whole match maker crap just stinks ..STINKS of console. Such a great game too, shame they had to make finding a good random game so difficult. And to make matters worse alot of times you will get up an 8 player game and try and host and it'll look for dedicated servers then tell you none were found. 8 of us spent 30 minutes today just waiting for 1 server to free up so 8 people could play on it. Least it's valve so HOPEFULLY they'll fix it pretty quick, they're usually pretty good about it. But lol, never should have been released the way it is game finding wise. It was horrible in the demo and it's just as bad now.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 20:52.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 20:40 Strumiker

Loved the demo too... my wife and I are thinking about doing the 4 pack. We could split the 4 Prez Just need one more person  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 19:50 Prez

Will be getting this - I played the demo for about 4 hours and had an absolute blast. I felt like I was transported ti the set of Dawn of the Dead!

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the 4 games for the price of 3 deal.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 19:02 rist3903

I've been on a couple servers where my friends and I want to play on Advanced, but the server's set to Expert. So we do a vote and change to Advanced. But every map change, it switches back to Expert.

I have encountered this! Very annoying, my friends and I are going along thinking everything is going a well and then realize that it is only on advanced.

I am completely digging the random things people say every once in a while. I would repeat the memorable one for me, but don't want to spoil anyone's experience.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 18:49 Krovven

server.cfg gets reloaded every map change. So yea if the cvar is in there, it will keep reverting every map.  

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 18:28 elefunk

Oh that must be what it is cause I just checked and it said 'normal' hehe.
There is a glitch though with difficulty. I think it has to do with putting difficulty right in your server.cfg file. I've been on a couple servers where my friends and I want to play on Advanced, but the server's set to Expert. So we do a vote and change to Advanced. But every map change, it switches back to Expert.

So yeah, I think it's because difficulty is placed right in server.cfg, but I'm not sure - can anyone else chime in?

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 18:15 Buckle Down

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 21, 2008, 18:19.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 17:32 Fion

Oh that must be what it is cause I just checked and it said 'normal' hehe.  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 17:10 Krovven

The difficulty is on NORMAL! Change that to Advanced.

Check the server.cfg info I posted below. It's set to Hard (Advanced).

As Dades pointed out, someone can change it on the server via the Escape>Call A Vote option.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 16:53 Dades

You can hit escape and call a vote to change the difficulty, just in case you didn't know. I agree though that Normal as a default difficulty is pretty weak  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo