Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It's Good to be the Lich King

Blizzard announces that Wrath of the Lich King sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability, which they say makes the second World of Warcraft expansion fastest-selling PC game ever. In fact, GameStop says that after one day, Wrath of the Lich King ranks as their top-selling PC title of the year. You'd expect Blizzard to be happy about all this, and sure enough CEO Mike Morhaime expresses their gratitude: "We’re grateful for the incredible support that players around the world have continued to show for World of Warcraft."

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Good to be the Lich King Nov 22, 2008, 08:10 Jerykk

This whole aside is pointless, much like most of your forum posts. You can't prove that people aren't buying PC games due to WoW, it's just an assumption based on your need to argue about everything on here.

There are many things that can't be proved. That is why we have debates and discussion. If everything could be proved, there would be no need for discussion because we could just refer to the proof. No, the purpose of these discussions is to present our beliefs and then either reinforce or discard them based on the strength (or weakness) of counter-arguments. If you don't want to back up your position, that's fine. However, defending your opinions and questioning those of others is never pointless.

Here are the reasons why I believe WoW players are less likely to try new games than non-WoW players. It should be noted that these arguments apply mostly to casual gamers, as hardcore gamers are much more likely to try out different games.

1. Finite time and money: Playing games costs time and money and MMOs are the most demanding in both respects. Unlike single-player games which usually don't last beyond a week and regular multiplayer games that you can play in brief spurts, MMOs require a lot of time if you want to make meaningful progress with your character. In addition, MMOs charge a monthly fee if you want to keep that character. If you're spending $15 a month to maintain your account, that's $15 less to spend on new games. If you spend that month playing a bunch of different games, that's $15 wasted.

2. Change is born through discontent: If people are happily playing WoW, they really don't have much incentive to play anything else. I have no desire to buy a new car because I'm happy with the one I have. I have no desire to buy a new TV because I like the one I have. If I was a TV or car enthusiast, this probably wouldn't be the case but my current interest in these things is purely casual. Similarly, while the hardcore gamer seeks out new experiences and challenges, the casual gamer is content to simply to stick with what they know they like.

3. People fear the unknown: New games are a risk. You are spending $50 on something you may or may not like. Reviews are dubious at best, as nobody's opinion is more accurate than your own. If you are playing WoW and enjoying it, why risk wasting money on something else?

Again, my argument applies mainly to casual gamers (though I do believe that even hardcore gamers will try fewer games if they play WoW). I think it's safe to assume that the majority of WoW players are casual gamers. In my own personal experience, almost everyone I know from work (at multiple jobs) plays WoW and only WoW and that these people are casual gamers. Anecdotal evidence at best but it supports my belief nonetheless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Good to be the Lich King Nov 22, 2008, 03:09 Dades

Specifically, do you think that a person who plays WoW is more or less likely to buy new games than a person who doesn't play WoW?

I think people are people and will buy whatever is entertaining and appealing to them. Believe whatever you want, millions of people still manage to play WoW and do other activities like play their Xbox 360's, go for bike rides and *gasp* buy other PC games. This whole aside is pointless, much like most of your forum posts. You can't prove that people aren't buying PC games due to WoW, it's just an assumption based on your need to argue about everything on here.

60. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 22, 2008, 00:32 Jerykk

That's what I saw at least...

No, what you saw was actually this:

The problem is that if people are only playing WoW, they aren't trying out other games. The sad reality is that quality alone isn't going to get people to play your games. There are numerous factors, not the least of which is competition. WoW acts as competition to every PC game out there. If somebody has invested a lot of time and money into their WoW characters, they will be less inclined to bother playing anything else, especially if they still have to pay a monthly fee regardless of actual playtime. This is less of an issue for hardcore gamers, as they're willing to try out all sorts of games. More casual gamers, on the other hand, won't see any reason to play anything other than WoW.

Notice that it's all one paragraph, with the majority of it serving to explain the initial claim (the first sentence).

In any case, if you're done arguing syntax we can get back to the discussion proper. Specifically, do you think that a person who plays WoW is more or less likely to buy new games than a person who doesn't play WoW?

59. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 21:46 Kxmode

Yes. Because it's a sentence and paragraph all by itself.

Case in point...

The problem is that if people are only playing WoW, they aren't trying out other games.

The sad reality is that quality alone isn't going to get people to play your games. There are numerous factors, not the least of which is competition. WoW acts as competition to every PC game out there. If somebody has invested a lot of time and money into their WoW characters, they will be less inclined to bother playing anything else, especially if they still have to pay a monthly fee regardless of actual playtime. This is less of an issue for hardcore gamers, as they're willing to try out all sorts of games. More casual gamers, on the other hand, won't see any reason to play anything other than WoW.

That's what I saw at least...

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 21:47.

58. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 20:08 Jerykk

So you read the whole post and then responded to the first sentence while ignoring the part where I explained how hardcore gamers are less likely to play only WoW than casual gamers?  

57. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 19:43 Kxmode

I did read the entire post. What I quoted was what I felt like responding to.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 19:44.

56. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 18:12 Jerykk

Your post goes right off the rails here. The assumption that people can only play WoW is inherently flawed.

You probably should have read the rest of my post, as it elaborated on that statement and clarified that it obviously doesn't apply to everyone. Please go back and read the whole post.

I played Fallout 3, Spore, The Witcher, and few other games... plus WOW. I don't think your statement holds any water.

It really is amazing how people will read the first line of a post and then completely ignore the rest.

Here, I'll make it easy. Later in my post, I explicitly said: "This is less of an issue for hardcore gamers, as they're willing to try out all sorts of games."

Again, please read the entirety of any given post before responding.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2008, 18:15.

55. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 10:22 Brellyn

Oh how we love to bring the hero down. Apparently Blizzard is the source of all that is bad in PC Gaming. So they have the MMO market cornered? Why? Because the game is that good. Granted the models are cartoonish, but blocky? What are you running, a TRS-80? The landscape and models look absolutely gorgeous in Northrend. I'm 77 with NO grinding at all, just quests and instances which have proven to be much more varied than all the previous content.

You don't like the business model? How about Mobil Oil's business model. Still driving your car? Please look for ridiculous reasons to not have fun.

54. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 08:33 Dades

The problem is that if people are only playing WoW, they aren't trying out other games.

Your post goes right off the rails here. The assumption that people can only play WoW is inherently flawed.

53. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 06:32 Kxmode

I played Fallout 3, Spore, The Witcher, and few other games... plus WOW. I don't think your statement holds any water.

52. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 21, 2008, 04:44 Jerykk

So while I'd like to blame Blizzard for the PC gaming industry's various problems its probably better to point at other companies and ask "Why aren't guys putting out products this good?".

The problem is that if people are only playing WoW, they aren't trying out other games. The sad reality is that quality alone isn't going to get people to play your games. There are numerous factors, not the least of which is competition. WoW acts as competition to every PC game out there. If somebody has invested a lot of time and money into their WoW characters, they will be less inclined to bother playing anything else, especially if they still have to pay a monthly fee regardless of actual playtime. This is less of an issue for hardcore gamers, as they're willing to try out all sorts of games. More casual gamers, on the other hand, won't see any reason to play anything other than WoW.

Obviously you can't blame WoW entirely, as Blizzard is only making the best MMO they can and it's ultimately the player's choice to keep playing. But you do have to wonder if more people would play other games if WoW didn't exist.

51. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 20, 2008, 23:54 Dades

I think they have a point about MMO games by nature being designed to suck up all available spare time but in the end no one forces you by gunpoint to play them. People have fun, interact and enjoy MMO games like WoW. WoW just happens to be the most successful at the moment due to it's accessibility and polish. So while I'd like to blame Blizzard for the PC gaming industry's various problems its probably better to point at other companies and ask "Why aren't guys putting out products this good?".  

50. Re: Enough of the lick king nonsense Nov 20, 2008, 23:32 Kxmode

can we move onto other games now?

Amen.

*played WoW for a month...still not sure what the point is*

There is no point except to entertain you. If WOW doesn't entertain you then "move onto other games".

49. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 20, 2008, 23:00 Kxmode

Plus for a developer to try to compete with Blizzard would be complete foolishness since they own the market. So how is it helping PC gaming at all? Only one its helping is Blizzard/Activision.

CD Projekt did really well with The Witcher and GOG, and both have NOTHING to do with MMOs. I think your problem is you just hate WOW.

48. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 20, 2008, 22:54 Kxmode

Zombies. Zombies never change.  

47. Re: Enough of the lick king bitching Nov 20, 2008, 22:50 Kxmode

So it's official. There will be expansions until the end of the world... of Warcraft.  

46. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 20, 2008, 21:34 heroin

If you haven't played through the "Wrath Gate" questline then you're missing out. In some quests a solo player can use NPCs around an area to take out an elite boss replicating a mini (and soloable) raid.

One aspect I appreciate most about Wotlk is that it is the most serious of the WoW franchise. More of the creatures are of a more serious nature - they look badass, they're usually pretty large, the animations and environments are really just great. Northrend is almost reminiscent of Baldur's Gare IMHO. The quests are much much better than in any of the previous releases. Blizzard still references pop culture too which is nice. One quest references GTA where the player ends up stealing a mount.

I certainly like it and the death knight is a fun class to play and the quests are also stellar. WoW is still king so cry yourselves to sleep about it.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2008, 22:41.

45. Re: Enough of the lick king bitching Nov 20, 2008, 20:00 JeffD

You know its funny.. you guys can bitch all you want.. we actually got hard numbers now that tell you all to STFU. alot of people still like playing the game... so GTFO mate.  

44. Re: Enough of the lick king nonsense Nov 20, 2008, 18:48 Hyatus

can we move onto other games now?

Amen.

*played WoW for a month...still not sure what the point is*

43. Re: It's Good to be the Lich King Nov 20, 2008, 18:45 Dades

Another poorly informed person. I know many people who have came back as much as 1 year after and their character was there.

SE only deleted accounts where you "left the game" by letting your payments lapse and/or deactivated your POL code (which is free). If you properly stopped your FFXI content ID's and did not deactivate the POL ID your character would not be deleted.

Again, you can't defend a game where it's so confusing to even cancel your account that people end up losing characters. Sorry dude, everything about FFXI is indefensible - the soul crushing grind, the ridiculous launcher, the hilarious patching system and so on.

I don't think even the original poster said that. He probably means that those who prefer to play several different types of games and also do like to revisit certain games at their own time and convenience would prefer paying for a game once (or multiple times, when buying more than one copy) and never paying a dime for that game again.

It was implied if you play WoW, you don't have time for other games. I play tons of other games and stuff like WoW and still manage to be a normal person who goes to work every day and so on. WoW does not chain you to the computer or prevent you from playing other games - people do that to themselves.

I make plenty to pay for the game and monthly fees for every member of my family. Maybe I'm just cheap but I don't pay $15 to go to a movie either. I either go to matinees or get the rental DVD. Maybe if you had the responsibility of supporting a family you wouldn't make mcjob cracks.

Fair enough, that's a good point and I apologize for the crack at your job, it was a low blow.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo