Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer

DICE Puts Faith in NVIDIA PhysX Technology for Mirror's Edge has word that the upcoming Windows edition of Mirror's Edge, DICE's parkour-themed action game, will include support for NVIDIA's PhysX physics engine and will take advantage of NVIDIA's CUDA-enabled graphics card: "On the PC, PhysX technology harnesses the power of CUDA, NVIDIA's general-purpose, parallel-computing architecture, to handle 10-20 times more visual complexity than what's possible without a GeForce CUDA-enabled GPU." Whether this sells Mirror's Edge players on NVIDIA hardware, or repels ATI hardware owners from Mirror's Edge will be interesting to see. In related Mirror's Edge news, a new trailer shows off more of Faith's leaps of faith from the game and a number of these PhysX effects; the trailer is available on FileFront and Gamer's Hell. Finally, MTV Multiplayer has images of some Italian models dressed as the game's acrobatic protagonist.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 18:58 Jerykk

Totally takes the concept of momentum and throws it off the nearest rooftop.

So if you're running at full speed and then you jump and drop-kick some guy, he isn't going to go flying backwards?

I can't be the first person to feel this way, and I'm surprised it never came up during the dev cycle.

It probably did. However, I'm guessing their deadline prevented them from making any significant changes to the combat.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2008, 18:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 13:37 Flatline

Having played this already on console, I can say the combat sucks the big one. Totally takes the concept of momentum and throws it off the nearest rooftop. Disarming is stupid difficult unless you activate runner's time, which is *too* slow, and there's no way to turn it off once you activate it, so your sweet-ass disarm is done at 1/4 normal speed.

That being said, when you're just freerunning, the game is frickin sweet. Combat induces levels of frustration, while the free running induces sweaty-armpit syndrome and lots of adrenalin. I can even live with running away from the guys with guns. So long as I'm moving, and moving fast, I'm enjoying myself.

If I was on the dev team, I'd have revamped combat. Opened up the disarm window a little more and made it more forgiving (if you've stunned a person by hitting them and they're bent over, disarming should be a piece of cake. Instead, you just can't do it and have to keep hitting them). As it is now, if you miss your disarm, they pistol whip you twice before you really recover and you're dead. Also, and probably most importantly, I would make most of her attacks incapacitating attacks other than just "attacks". I've found that slide-kicks to the balls doubles people over, and lets me keep running, therefore it's all that I use unless I have no choice or will be on that particular rooftop for more than 3 more seconds. The faster I get through combat the faster I'm back to having fun. They really needed to change the focus of combat towards disabling to continue moving as opposed to martial arts.

I can't be the first person to feel this way, and I'm surprised it never came up during the dev cycle.

11. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 12:59 Masa

An Asian girlie karate chopping police on rooftops.....seriously weird.

He says as he chops yet another zombie with his shotty

We live in a weird world!

10. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 12:25 4D-Boxing

I'm all for supporting new technology but it's pretty useless when it is only supported by one of the two graphics card manufacturers, with little-to-no chance of AMD ever licensing it. Also, it's going to need considerably better games with thoughtful, deep implementations to sell it.

That is how 3dfx & their Glide API made 3D acceleration mainstream.

PS. For some reason I keep thinking that CUDA was shown to work on both ATI & Nvidia hardware (that meet the specs) and that it's up to ATI to implement PhysX support if they want it....I may be confusing 2 or 3 diff articles from that came out many months ago.

9. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 10:19 Joss

Yeah, kinda wierd but remember Oni? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni_(video_game) I really hated the third-person on it but it had potential.

I'll wait for reviews (or a demo) on this though.

8. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 09:35 eggsborks

This looks more like a tech demo than a game.An Asian girlie karate chopping police on rooftops.....seriously weird.  

7. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 20, 2008, 09:07 Muscular Beaver

I dont care about the PhysX stuff because I have a GTX260 anyway. I could choose between DirectX 10.1 and PhysX. I took PhysX and dont regret it.

This game looks really promising. I love fast games and this one looks very fast and very esthetic.
But its an EA game, so go fuck yourself, EA, until you change your course of action a bit.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

6. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 23:49 zirik

8xxx series and up support CUDA and PhysX.

not all 8 series. only those with more than 312mb ram. its in the release notes from nvidia.

5. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 23:27 necrosis

I'm assuming my 8800GT does not support this, right?

8xxx series and up support CUDA and PhysX.

4. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 21:24 Aero

Both the 8000 series and the 9000 series support PhysX.

It's not really worth much though. I have yet to see a game that actually does anything with PhysX that you couldn't do pretty much equally well just in software.

It's a gimmick, but I hope it does catch on because I believe it will one day prove to be a very useful thing once it is more widely supported by hardware and, hopefully, there is a standard for it.

I'm sure Microsoft could add it to DirectX and clearly there is already HPC development for Linux using these things, so a standard would help there as well.

edit: Oh, and the 200 series, naturally.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 21:25.

3. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 21:19 Dreagon

These company's apparently haven't learned a thing from the demise of 3dfx. Only this time the proprietary mentality is killing the whole industry.

They need to work together to hammer out some common solutions, and then just compete on the level of who is faster at using those solutions and making them look better.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

2. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 21:17 the_culture

I'm assuming my 8800GT does not support this, right?  

1. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 21:12 theyarecomingforyou

I'm all for supporting new technology but it's pretty useless when it is only supported by one of the two graphics card manufacturers, with little-to-no chance of AMD ever licensing it. Also, it's going to need considerably better games with thoughtful, deep implementations to sell it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo