Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2008, 05:39 Z9000

I have been using Netflix awhile and I won't be paying for Xbox live just to spend 4 hours downloading a movie (If you want HD). However I think a lot of people will try it for awhile. I think it's a real coup that MS did that deal. I only wish Sony had made the move first as I like their free network play and the PS3 overall.

I own an Xbox with 3 RRODs to date, and a PS3 without a single issue. All the systems have real nice games you can only get for each one of them, but I am still sold on PS3. Better hardware that is just now starting to get people programming for it's full potential.

If I can get a game on all platforms, most the time it's PS3 unless it's really going to shine on a PC. The only time I buy Xbox is when I have no other choice.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 22:35 Yosemite Sam

Pitiful, you may want to check out the FragFX controller for the PS3

Cool, thanks for the heads up that looks sweet.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

14. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 19:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Honestly the Mouse and Keyboard thing isn't even an issue anymore, it just depends on what your use to. If I spent as much time using a controller for a shooter then a mouse and keyboard I'd probably say the opposite.

You're right about it not being an issue. It's already been settled when Microsoft created that Shadowrun abomination. They had to make concessions for console players because thumb knobbies just can't compete with a mouse and keyboard. Take a PC expert vs. a console expert and the PC expert will win. End of story. That's why console FPS games just aren't the same experience as PC FPS games. They have to add all sorts of fuzziness the aiming and hit detection to compensate for the lack of precision. The issue is settled. They can't seriously be compared anymore. Consoles need a different controller for FPS games. RTS games too.

Pitiful, you may want to check out the FragFX controller for the PS3.

And that's what I'm talking about. That one looks like it would still require a mousing surface, but it's a step in the right direction.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 19:14.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 16:20 Krovven

Pitiful, you may want to check out the FragFX controller for the PS3. I haven't used it myself, friend recommended it to me. I may pick it up for myself, but I'm waiting for the new version, which looks like they are now targeting Feb 2009 for a release.

http://www.splitfish.com/

Lots of videos of it on YouTube as well.

I haven't used it myself, friend recommended it. Was thinking about picking up until

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 15:44 CrimsonPaw

Well I finally made the jump awile back and picked up a PS3, my first console since the Intellivision. I got my typical console type games, Tiger Woods, NHL, R&C, DiRT, GTA which are great for joysticks and I got my PC for FPS, RTS and 4X games. I took a chance and grabbed Bioshock for the PS3 and I was not dissapionted, turned sensitivity up and killed autoaim. Totally sucked for awile but eventually got the hang of it and am getting pretty good, playing on the couch with a 52" HDTV and my 7.1 surround is so sweet, my PC has some competition now when I am looking at FPS games.
And if you're looking for a true mouse/kb FPS, pick up Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3, though I'm not sure how many rooms allow for m/k combo.

Edit: whoops, forgot the closing quote bracket.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 15:44.

~~Crim~~

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 15:25 Yosemite Sam

Well I finally made the jump awile back and picked up a PS3, my first console since the Intellivision. I got my typical console type games, Tiger Woods, NHL, R&C, DiRT, GTA which are great for joysticks and I got my PC for FPS, RTS and 4X games. I took a chance and grabbed Bioshock for the PS3 and I was not dissapionted, turned sensitivity up and killed autoaim. Totally sucked for awile but eventually got the hang of it and am getting pretty good, playing on the couch with a 52" HDTV and my 7.1 surround is so sweet, my PC has some competition now when I am looking at FPS games.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 14:44 Veinman

I can deal with the controller in a slower FPS like Rainbow or Halo. Faster stuff like Left 4 Dead, well I can hold my own with the shotgun.

If I'm picking up anything resembling a sniper rifle, I need my PC.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 14:07 dryden555

auto-aim is used in most console FPS games and most console FPS games dont let one disable it, or even mention that auto-aiming is in the game.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2008, 13:40 Fang

Wow, sounds like Sony is doing their best to use all their divisions against Microsoft. I'm still signing up for Netflix. I guess I just won't watch Sony movies.  

7. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 13:08 The Half Elf

Honestly the Mouse and Keyboard thing isn't even an issue anymore, it just depends on what your use to. If I spent as much time using a controller for a shooter then a mouse and keyboard I'd probably say the opposite.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 12:49 Ayii

A mouse & keyboard combo provide the best control for FPS, but that doesn't mean a controller sucks, it's just different.

The bad interface for Mass Effect wasn't because it was on a console, it was purely a bad design choice that they would have changed if they had more time, but they had to ship it. Still a great game (aside from some inventory issues).

5. Fer Fuck Sake.. Nov 19, 2008, 12:28 The Half Elf

Get off your holy and mighty PC Crosses. Quite a few of us on Blues grew up on PC Gaming but at the same time I HIGHLY doubt you never played a single game on ANY console and didn't enjoy the piss outta it.

That being said, there are many good, solid, fun, gaming experience that are only on consoles. And Wowbagger did you play Mass Effect for the PC? And how the fuck can you defend a game that was 'fixed' by the PC Community only because the tools were there to do it?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

I play on both, although I spend far more time on the PC than the 360. The 360 has its place. I play some games with my wife on it (Just got her into Soul Calibur IV). Some games work well on it, like racing games, platformers, sports, etc. I'm also looking forward to the Netflix integration and community games features in the new update.

But I love my FPS and RTS games, which just flat out suck on consoles. Hell, they're hard enough to get right on the PC. Why make things even more difficult? RPGs are very hit and miss. I prefer western style RPGs and they tend to get dumbed down on consoles and the interface is usually annoying. Mass Effect and Oblivion both suffered from bad design decisions due to being created for consoles. They're oversimplified and rather shallow. At least Oblivion got fixed by mods on the PC.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 11:16 JohnBirshire

I've been playing online PC games since almost the very beginning, 2400 baud modem style. You know, back when online games didn't even have graphics. "You attack goblin shaman for 4 physical damage". And back when the internet wasn't what it was today, when we were at the mercy of 3rd parties such as Compuserve and Prodigy.

That being said, I have never played a fighting game online multiplayer, nor a sport's game for that matter. *although I have been tempted by Madden 09* And whether I'm a PC gaming fanatic or not, I'm still not a biased fanboi...I admit there are some games that the console systems are simply better for playing.

But you are right, I'd throw a fit the first time I got a "red ring of death", although I hear the newer model 360s have come a long ways from the ones released two years ago. That is one piece of hardware I'd definitely be getting an extended warranty for; if the time comes.

2. Re: XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 10:30 Bluesfanboi

I'm a Windows fanboi too and I won't go near crippled hardware, which is what an xbox is, a crippled gaming PC.

I can get the "thrilling on-line experience" with a PC as well.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 10:31.

1. XBox Live... Nov 19, 2008, 10:08 JohnBirshire

Everyday that goes by I am more and more tempted to buy a console system for the first time in 15 years by getting a 360. XBox Live just seems like a lot of fun; playing fighting and sports games multiplayer. *pretty much the only two genres I refuse to play on a PC*

We'll see..

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo