Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - Space Trader Merchant Marine

Meridian4 and Hermitworks Entertainment Corporation announce that Space Trader Merchant Marine has shipped and this trading sim/FPS is now available at retail stores and on most online distribution channels. Word is: "As a Trader, you will attempt to amass a fortune beyond your wildest imagination, buying and selling commodities and taking up arms against the oppressors or even accepting bounty missions, hunting down crime bosses and their thugs." The announcement is accompanied by a batch of new screenshots.

View
1. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Space Trader Merchant Marine Nov 15, 2008, 14:24 Aero

Well... that's a shame.

These smaller, independent developers should make a point of limiting their scope by finding ways around their weaknesses (ie. art/graphics as you can plainly see from the screenshots) and work to their potential strengths in terms of depth, gameplay and narrative. You really don't need tons of artists and huge budgets for those things.

As demonstrated by the old Doctor Who serials, if you are aware of your limitations and work around them, leaving those parts to the viewers imaginations, it is ultimately more effective. As an example, it would be better to just have a shot of the characters reacting to a spaceship crashing, lighting them up with a flash of light and a explosion sound effect, than showing us crappy special effect of a painted paper plate on a string being blown up by a firecracker.

I've gone off on a tangent, but you probably know what I mean. Small independent developers have the potential to make some of the best games, they just need to realize they're small independent developers.

Of course, maybe this game is good, I haven't tried it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
>> 1. Nov 15, 14:24 Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Space Trader Merchant Marine Aero

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo