Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 15, 2008, 11:44 Tony!!!

Im absolutely loving Gears 2. It improves on the original in every aspect. My grip is that there are just too many good games out at the same time. Im splitting my time playing this and Fallout and Fable.

Dead Space was great as well. I wish I could play that one againg for the first time.

Anyways, what's with all these kids coming here and bashing? Grow up a little.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 15, 2008, 00:41 Tanto Edge

I'd like to call the industry Cliffy Free. It's time to step off as the iconic ass that he is and elect a new banana.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 21:41 Kosumo

No, because it's just a balls to the walls shooter with great multiplayer and a great gameplay.

Are you talking about CliffyB's new game you beta tested with him? - "Gloryhole - Where you call the shots!"

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 21:22 the_culture

Typical blues comment, if someone likes something remotely popular, they must be trolled...

Typical overly sensitive dimwit. I was commenting on your use of words, not whether or not you liked the game.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 20:23 Caveman

What are you... 12 years old?

Typical blues comment, if someone likes something remotely popular, they must be trolled...really pathetic if you ask me.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 18:51 the_culture

balls to the walls shooter

What are you... 12 years old?

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 15:49 Caveman

Advertising? Hype? Because mediocre games on console sell better than great games on PC?

No, because it's just a balls to the walls shooter with great multiplayer and a great gameplay.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 14:55 theyarecomingforyou

There is a reason it sold 2 million on launch day.
Advertising? Hype? Because mediocre games on console sell better than great games on PC?

NEway, I was more disappointed with this:

I'll tell you what we're not going to do--we're not gonna be making a Wii game, we're not going to be doing an Xbox Live game, we're not going to be doing Jazz Jackrabbit, we're not going to be doing a f***ing puzzle game, and we're not going be making a Gears of War RTS.
Why can't they do another Jazz Jackrabbit? It was one of their better games and there's a lot of demand for old-school gaming. I'd definitely pick the original games up if they appeared on Steam, same with Baldies, Cannon Fodder and Zool. Casual games like Eets and Peggle are great for when a full gaming session is too much effort (or I'm waiting for an email / website).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 14:41 Caveman

All you people whine about Gears 2 story and plot and all the crap, neglecting the fact the gameplay kicks ass, and that's what it's about, right? I suppose Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 are shit right, since of the lack of story and plot progression behind each game right?

There is a reason it sold 2 million on launch day.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 14:42.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 14:37 PHJF

*every* game touts story in hype.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 14:18 Dr. D. Schreber

I wasn't expecting "awesome" so much as "competent." The first game wasn't going to win any awards, but at least it was like playing a good war movie and it made sense. Epic themselves were touting the story in the hype.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 14:11 PHJF

The plot is silly, the character derailment is massive,

And hordes of players eagerly waiting GoW2 just so they could get some awesome storytelling are summarily disappointed.

Wait, what?!?

I think you were playing the wrong game.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 13:36 Dr. D. Schreber

Anyone who's played to the end of Gears 2 knows damn well that they have another one planned already. The "story" doesn't resolve anything at all and ends with what I suppose would be a cliffhanger if the game was written by someone capable.

It's a fun game, it has some really shitty spots, but the writing and dialog is almost physically painful to sit through.

THIS.

I can't believe what a let-down the campaign was. All that hype about the more character-oriented plot and nothing of the sort happens. Maybe the usual XBox demographic was shocked and awed at Dom shooting his wife (and believe me, this doesn't even deserve spoiler tags, it's done so badly,) but I've seen better character development written in fanfiction.

In point of fact, Gears 2 feels a lot like fanfiction. The plot isn't even on the Road to Nowhere, it's just broken down on the shoulder of it. The entire game spends its time setting up interesting things and making you go "ooo, this looks like it's leading up to a huge twist!" or at the very least "Hmmm, this seems like it's foreshadowing something later," and then summarily drops everything long before the next chapter even starts, never to mention it again before a new, even more outrageous tease is proposed and then again dropped.

The supposed character focus is a joke and consists mostly of a few offhand scenes and lines of dialog, none of which is executed believably or even directed well from a cinematic standpoint. It's like it was all shoehorned in after the fact. Story progression is an absolute mess, and you don't even have to think very hard to start feeling like the things people are doing make no sense at all. The stupidity of where the plot goes from one point to the next is, in itself, enough to kill suspension of disbelief. It hurts to think someone got paid to write this.

Sorry, CliffyB, I gave Gears 2 a shot, and my conclusion is, quite simply, "You ruined it." The plot is silly, the character derailment is massive, and for all your epic burns against the competition, you really just pulled a Halo 3.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 13:06 TheLeech

I'm having a similar reaction to Call of Duty: World at War. All of my CoD4 friends bought it on release day and haven't been back yet. I'm sorry, but shelling out cash for what feels like a mod (and a rather middling one at that) just doesn't make sense to me. To make matters worse they're not even playing the co-op campaign, just team deathmatch!

Oh, and Gears blows. I played through the first one and was left wondering what all the console kids were so excited about. To hear that the second one is more of the same isn't surprising.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 12:20 Tumbler

GoW2 reminds me of Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It's the same fucking game. I'm playing through the single player campaign just to say I did, because I can't wait to throw this thing in the mailbox and send it back to Gamefly.

If I wanted to play Gears of War I'd just stick in the disc from 2 years ago.

It's the same fucking game. Few new maps, few new weapons, but all the same fundamentals, game play feels stale and I have no interest in playing more gears of war. You can't even jump off ledges for fucks sake. It sucked back then but I could tolerate it, but 2 fucking years later and you drop THE SAME SHIT on us!?

At $39.99 this would have been an ok game, at $60 it's a ripoff.

I'm stunned by sales of this game. Apparently people were just waiting to pay $60 for Gears 1.5. WTF people.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 12:21.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Gears of War Nov 14, 2008, 12:16 zirik

i always thought the body armor in gears looked silly. its like they strapped a boom box to their body. you see two large woofers on their chest as a result. now where is the eject button...  

6. Re: Guitar Hero World Tour Nov 14, 2008, 11:29 nin

Maybe the sales are slipping because this time it really is TOO much like Rock band?

Did they ever hear of the concept of market saturation? Apparently not.

RB = EA
GH = Activision.

edit: And then you edited.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 11:30.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Guitar Hero World Tour Nov 14, 2008, 11:26 WyldKat

Maybe the sales are slipping because this time it really is TOO much like Rock band?

Did they ever hear of the concept of market saturation? Apparently not.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 11:28.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 11:15 PropheT

Anyone who's played to the end of Gears 2 knows damn well that they have another one planned already. The "story" doesn't resolve anything at all and ends with what I suppose would be a cliffhanger if the game was written by someone capable.

It's a fun game, it has some really shitty spots, but the writing and dialog is almost physically painful to sit through.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2008, 10:57 CrimsonPaw

Still need to pick up and play the first Gears. Not worth the $40 (or even $30) at this point and there's no way I'm paying $60 for GoW2. I've got enough gaming for the next 6 months so I'm done buying for a while.  
~~Crim~~

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo