Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Frans continues his stellar work on the techie stuff here. Today we unveil a separate mobile version of the site in response to requests from PDA users, which can be accessed via pda.bluesnews.com. This presents the news in a flat format similar to the HTML version of the site, for phones that can handle more than the card-based WAP standard. Whether you are a road warrior or a palm pilot (stop that or you'll go blind!), hopefully one or both of these will work for you.

PDA Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Mirror's Edge 2D Beta.
Retardo and the Iron Golem. Thanks Jay is Games.
Links: The Essential 007- A Recap of all 22 Bond Movies. A lot to disagree with.
007 James Bond techno gadgets- Which are real today?
Stories: Dead Parrot sketch ancestor found.
Science: First Pictures Taken of Extrasolar Planets. Thanks Jim, and Neutronbeam.
Pentagon Clears Flying-Car Project for Takeoff.
Images: First Image of Another Multi-Planet Solar System. Thanks j.c.f. See Science story above.
Alien LEGO.
Media: Half Life- Full-Life Consequences 2- What has Tobe done.
The Evolution of the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfares.
Mac's New laptop is so small

View
14. Re: PDA Mode Nov 14, 2008, 17:10  Xymph 

Looking cool. Any chance we can get less of the HTML stripped? Article links, blockquotes, etc, appeared to from my quick scroll through it. Understand if you had to cripple it due to UGO restrictions and so forth.
UGO wasn't involved in the design choices. It's in Blue's own interest not to make the PDA site a complete but ad-free alternative to the regular site, as his income depends on the latter.

So the goal for the mobile sites to offer a quick way to check the latest gaming news while on the road, as an additional service, and not to reproduce the full website functionality on a handheld device. To that end, blockquotes and the OotB links table have been stripped in order to reduce overal page size (since more data traffic often costs users more money). Links are stripped for the same reason, and to give people an incentive to (re)visit the full site as yet to check the stories they're interested in. Lastly, many of the pages and sites linked to are not mobile-friendly, so the links are of limited use anyway.

(I also got an XML parsing error when I viewed it through FFox on the desktop, which is strange because typically it doesn't do that to XHTML pages. Pocket IE and Opera Mobile rendered it without problems, the two primary Windows Mobile based browsers.)
Yeah, I saw that too, it happens with 8-bit characters translated into named (rather than numeric) & entities, but since the PDA site isn't meant for normal desktop browsers anyway, I see no reason to address that.

Having the BN colours would be cool, too, but that's just me being picky.
The logo uses the appropriate background. Not sure what other BN colors you're referring to.

-- Frans
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 14, 03:09 Wereblues of London Cutter
  2. Nov 14, 06:19 PDA Mode sponge
>> 14. Nov 14, 17:10  Re: PDA Mode  Xymph 
  3. Nov 14, 07:51 Re: Out of the Blue strich
  4. Nov 14, 08:08 Re: Out of the Blue Starsky
  5. Nov 14, 08:42 planets Jim
  6. Nov 14, 11:44  Re: planets Joss
  10. Nov 14, 13:04  Re: planets Enahs
  7. Nov 14, 11:50 Re: Out of the Blue Hyatus