Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Left 4 Dead

Valve announces Left 4 Dead is gold, and the multiplayer zombie shooter is now available for preload on Steam in preparation for the game's release on November 18:

November 13, 2008 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (Steam and Source), today announced its upcoming zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead, has gone gold and is now pre-loading to those who pre-purchased the game via Steam.

Left 4 Dead is the new survival action game from Valve for the PC and Xbox 360 that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games.

Those who pre-order the game via Steam save 10% off the regular price and may pre-load the game so they are able to play at 12:01 am EST on November 18, 2008 when the game is made available.

The pre-order discount is also available for both the PC and 360 versions at participating retail outlets.

Playable in single player, co-operative, and multiplayer modes, Left 4 Dead is one of the most anticipated releases of 2008 and winner of numerous pre-launch awards, including Best of E3 from multiple outlets. The official demo for the game is available now through November 17 for the PC and Xbox 360.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. Re: Fun demo! Jan 2, 2009, 01:36 Ant

Lucas, that is why I held off in getting the game.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Fun demo! Jan 2, 2009, 01:22 Lucas Bum

Good game but I wish there were more maps. I hate replaying same thing over and over.  

79. Re: Fun demo! Nov 25, 2008, 07:44 rist3903

The servers are a mess. It would be nice to be able to filter vanilla servers with no preset info on them and ignore all the rest. I have been on some where music was piped in and played on top of the game and could not be turned off or down. So freaking annoying!  

78. Re: Fun demo! Nov 24, 2008, 12:45 Theo

great great game, ive owned it for just 2 days and i cant stop playing it.

personally i am far form a fan boi of valve, i fucking hated Halflife, and Halflife2 (or shall i just call it .. loading screen game), and i think whilst TF2 was excellent fun, lets face it it butchered PROPER fortress CTF with this zerg mode games.

anyhow my point is, didnt like valves games in general, liked TF2 and CS a bit but they are both ripped off mods with dev polich on them.

this game however, i am really digging. the servers are a fucking mess and nothing we are used to thesedays (meaning silly lobby system and such) but having said that its AWSOME fun to play.

i do think its a little short on content but frankly the way the mobs are randomised keeps it interesting.

lots of fun, i guess longevity remains to be seen, but still its lots of fun, if very expensive for what is a professionally made modification.

/Theo

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

77. Fun demo! Nov 17, 2008, 03:14 Ant

I like it and was impressed, especially with multiplayer. I died so fast. LOL! You really need to play with others together. I love being the shotgunner. Good idea, Valve. I love how the game requires team work. Example of me (Luis) was injured (incapacitated) as shown in my screen capture: http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/2923/screenshotvc8.jpg ... When low on health, you move slower too! Awesome. I might actually get this game later on (want to see if the game gets popular, updated with new stuff, etc.). And price is high though IMO.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

76. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 15, 2008, 20:50 Narf2029

Seems like there's enough interesting content if I can get 16 hours of fun out of 2 parts of one campaign. It's nice how things screw up at the worst time, and you never know when that will be - could be when you get puked on in the back alley right as a wave starts, could be when you nick the car accidentally, or a smoker could grab your buddy just as you're all jumping down a hole with no way back up to save him. It's more challenging when you can do everything right and still wind up dead, especially since the bad luck never feels forced or contrived. Just when you get comfortable, you round a corner and blow a boomer up in your face when he startles you. Or you're doing really well, when a smoker wraps one up, a hunter knocks down another, and the wave makes it so much harder to do anything about it, and you're shooting and swinging frantically to stay alive - it's a strong sense of achievement to overcome the really bad luck moments, if you do. If you let it, the game can really evoke a feeling of being alone in a very hostile place full of things with a single-minded desire to kill you.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2008, 20:52.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

75. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 15, 2008, 07:35 Bhruic

Haha, I rest my case. So much for your perpetual "L4D has more content than TF2" argument.

Uh, what? You're resting your case based on the fact that TF2 shipped with 6 maps, L4D ships with 20, and of those, 8 of them will allow versus mode. I'd love to hear your rationalization for how 6 maps for a purely versus mode game is more content than 8 maps of versus and 20 maps of co-op.

74. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 15, 2008, 00:51 Buckle Down

What the fuck are you talking about? Nothing about what I said there invalidates anything I've said about how much content Left 4 Dead has.

OK there Captain, let's not get our panties all in a bunch. If you dropped dead of a heart attack because we stressed you out on this forum, I don't know if I could ever forgive myself.

73. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 23:59 Overon

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT Argue  

72. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 22:56 elefunk

What the fuck are you talking about? Nothing about what I said there invalidates anything I've said about how much content Left 4 Dead has.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 23:06.

71. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 22:36 PHJF

The first two campaigns will be playable on versus mode at launch, with no doubt more to come later.

Haha, I rest my case. So much for your perpetual "L4D has more content than TF2" argument.

It's clear Valve intends Left 4 Dead to catch on as a coop, not competitive game. Problem is cooperative play wears thin far before competitive play.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

70. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 19:34 Buckle Down

the game is meant for multiplayer so dont buy this for singleplayer

Yes sir! I was going to buy this for single player but since you've laid down the law...

69. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 19:26 dryden555

the game is meant for multiplayer so dont buy this for singleplayer  

68. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 19:25 Kosumo

I spit my coffee all over my monitor and keyboard at the thought of someone thinking L4D is a better game than TF2, in any sense of the imagination.

You should learn some self control then and not be so reactionry to things. I would have hoped that as a grown up you could do this by now. Then again, a little unsure how grown up you are.

67. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 19:18 elefunk

I spit my coffee all over my monitor and keyboard at the thought of someone thinking L4D is a better game than TF2, in any sense of the imagination. Don't worry about the hardware, my work will get over it.
You're still here? You've been bitching since the second post in this thread about how terrible a game it is, you'd think you'd have moved on by now.

Oh, and I never said Left 4 Dead is a better game than TF2 Though I certainly have had more fun with the Left 4 Dead demo than I remember having at Team Fortress 2's release.

66. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 18:53 Krovven

VS doesnt cover the entire campaign? That sounds strange and hopefully wrong.

Why would Versus Mode follow the campaign? It's a different game mode.

From http://pc.ign.com/articles/920/920271p1.html

In versus mode, eight players are split into two teams of four and put in control of the survivors and infected. In each string of maps, of which there are four total, there are subsections. Each subsection starts off with the survivors in a safe room where they can stock up on ammunition, weapons, and health packs. They then need to sprint out a door into the open and make their way to the safe room at the end of the subsection. In the campaign mode, you just continue through until you reach the end of the map string. In versus, players play each subsection twice on both sides. So if you play through the first time on the survivor side, you'll play through next as infected. After each round the survivor team is scored based on their distance travelled across the subsection, their remaining health, and the score is multiplied by a difficulty rating and the number of team members left. This is added up across each subsection and totaled at the end of the map string to determine a winner. Then it's back to the waiting lobby where both teams can mercilessly insult or congratulate each other.

Personally I would like to see players being able to take control of the Infected bosses in Campaign mode, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the full game. Doubt it will take long for modders to make it so however.

65. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 18:49 Buckle Down

It amounts to about 6-7 hours for one playthrough. Considering that a 20-30 minute demo extended easily into 8+ hours....I'd say a 6-7 hour campaign is very reasonable.

But you're also again forgetting about the Versus mode that supports 10 levels - remember that Team Fortress 2 only had 6 on release.

I spit my coffee all over my monitor and keyboard at the thought of someone thinking L4D is a better game than TF2, in any sense of the imagination. Don't worry about the hardware, my work will get over it.

64. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 18:48 elefunk

Takes time to balance the levels, especially with hunters crawling over all the walls and such. The first two campaigns will be playable on versus mode at launch, with no doubt more to come later.

At PAX, one of the guys there wasn't even sure if versus mode would make it at launch at all. This is definitely better than nothing, at least.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 18:48.

63. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 18:46 Veinman

VS doesnt cover the entire campaign? That sounds strange and hopefully wrong.  

62. Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 17:56 elefunk

What's the "server group" feature about?
From Erik Johnson of Valve:

Our thinking is that you'll tie a Steam group directly to your game server, and then allowing people inside of that group to browse and connect to it. The server would be able to pull people from this method, and from matchmaking at the same time.

hmmm, if that is the case, and the levels are roughly all the same size, kind of a small game....
It amounts to about 6-7 hours for one playthrough. Considering that a 20-30 minute demo extended easily into 8+ hours....I'd say a 6-7 hour campaign is very reasonable.

But you're also again forgetting about the Versus mode that supports 10 levels - remember that Team Fortress 2 only had 6 on release.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 17:57.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo