Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization

Blizzard's Paul Sams and Lee Sparks were at the London World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King launch, which subjected them to questions about their "other" MMORPG, which has been under pretty tight wraps. This tight-lipped approach doesn't seem to be changing right now as IncGamers was told, "We haven't shared it publicly because when we do, we want to have a definite idea about what that gameplay experience is going to be." They did, however, get an indication that speculation this will be a console project may be inaccurate: "that it would be a natural thought for people to have that that would be the 'next level', but I don't think that should be the assumption because I think there is a lot more that can be done on a PC." Videogaming247 has a bit more, as Sams indicates the game is still in the early stages of development, and they are not yet sure when they will start releasing information about the project. Eurogamer was also in attendance, but they asked about the less top secret topic of recently revealed plans to allow paid WoW character customization, and Sams explains they are not so much looking for another revenue stream by charging for this, they are just looking to keep players from doing it too often: "We want to give you the ability to do this, but we don't want you to do it all the time time [sic]. The same thing goes for paid character transfer, we don't want people bouncing back and forth. It serves as a tool for people to do it, but also as a deterrent to not do it too much, and also allows us to have the staff to be able to continually manage the population."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 14, 2008, 16:37 Mr. Tact

They have already said their "New Next Gen MMO" will NOT be in any of their already existing universes.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: We need Nov 13, 2008, 21:33 Cholma

A proper Battletech MMO.

This!
Especially if it allowed the full range of Battletech skills and equipment: infantry, tanks, manpack Inferno missiles, gyrojet pistols, vibroblades, etc. (Perhaps starting at an academy, like The Crescent Hawk's Inception.)

14. We need Nov 13, 2008, 17:16 Mead

A proper Battletech MMO.  

13. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 16:43 WyldKat

What if the paid character customization is something such as new art assets that you can use to make your character different from everyone else?

I could see paying for something like that if it was really well done. Afterall something like that isn't too different from how you create an avatar in Second Life, using micropayments to buy outfits.

If it's just resetting the character maker I really see no need in why it even needs to be limited, unless there's race/class change included.

12. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 14:40 peteham

Feh, if they were really only concerned with people not doing it too often, they could just hand out a yearly replenishing quota..

In any case, I really don't see why they feel a need to justify the fee anyway.. They can do whatever they want - people will either use it, or not. The latter seems unlikely in the case of wow

11. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 13:19 Kxmode

I as much as love WOW I'm not going to tear myself away for another fantasy MMO. To that end I hope the next MMO is based on StarCraft.  

10. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 13:13 Kxmode

I find it interesting that some people vehemently hate MMOs but love Diablo. Or avidly despise Diablo but they love StarCraft. The bottom line is that Blizzard owns us. Basically pick your poison.  

9. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 12:13 Surf

As if they dont have enough money. I have been playing computer games for quite some time, and a few consoles. I have to say with this shift towards consoles gaining more and more "steam" every year, I am afraid that I must say that the game are becoming less and less appealing.

They almost spoon feed you these games now. I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 weeks ago after playing BF2 on the PC for nearly 2 years (almost straight every day with a team). While graphically I have no complaints, i cannot believe how simplistic everything became. Its like the graphics advanced some, but the gameplay was retarded back a couple years.

It sucks that people have become so lazy. They want to push a button and get 50 things done. Just like a cell phone, a microwave, consoles, no one wants to work at it anymore. Sure some things we shouldn't have to work at "Linux, universal GUI!" but I don't want to turn on my xbox and play a game with a horrible controller while ordering a Domino's pizza and getting a netflix movie.

What the fuck is going on here?

Things to me are turning towards the worst situations.

Oh and blizzard, more money for Character Customization? Christ, feed a child or something abroad!

8. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 12:07 Dades

I think they're working on a fresh IP. They already have teams working on all of their existing stuff and they have said publicly several times that they want to launch a new IP. They also said they want some sort of method to move staff around after they get burned out on WoW. It would make a lot more sense to shuffle staff around as opposed to hiring and retraining. That would be much easier if they had two MMO's. I'm hopeful it's a new IP.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2008, 12:09.

7. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 11:08 The Half Elf

or 4th maybe it has NOTHING to do with Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo. Maybe just MAYBE it's a new IP?

And InBlack by your 'thinking' the next game they are working on MUST be based off a RTS franchise. Nevermind that it could be based off of The Vikings, Rock and Roll Racing or anything else.

Personally if they are going to do another MMO based of established franchises, Diablo is too much like WoW already and would be better suited to base it off Starcraft. If anything looking at how Starcraft II is being developed, and Starcraft Ghost being axed, I could see them doing a more action/fps MMO based on Starcraft 2, and development time wise (if announced when Starcraft 2 ships) would put the development time shortly after Starcraft II's last expansion.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 10:39 InBlack

There is no way it could be a Diablo MMO for 3 reasons:

1st: They already have one very sucessful MMO in the Fantasy Genre

2nd: Diablo3 has already been announced, and its not an MMO although it is a cooperative multi-player game.

3rd: WoW was based on a successful RTS franchise, so it goes to follow that the other "secret" MMO would be based on another very successful RTS franchise.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2008, 10:40.

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 10:33 nin

but they asked about the less top secret topic of recently revealed plans to allow paid WoW character custiomization, and Sams explains they are not so much looking for another revenue stream by charging for this, they are just looking to keep players from doing it too often: "We want to give you the ability to do this, but we don't want you to do it all the time time [sic]. The same thing goes for paid character transfer, we don't want people bouncing back and forth. It serves as a tool for people to do it, but also as a deterrent to not do it too much, and also allows us to have the staff to be able to continually manage the population."

Exactly, just like paid character name changes. It's there if you absolutely need it, but they don't want people doing it every other day. Hence, the fee.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 10:29 Muscular Beaver

Seeing how similar Diablo 3 looks to WoW, I would say a Diablo MMO.

I mean really, who cares how many times a person changes the look of their character? It has no impact on how the game plays at all.

If its race change or even faction change, it has the potential to be game breaking if done uncontrolled. So far we still dont know what kind of customizations it will be.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2008, 10:32.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

3. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 10:12 Frijoles

Lost Vikings MMO?  

2. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 09:42 InBlack

Secret MMO my ass, there is a 90% chance its a Starcraft MMO. What else could it be?  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization Nov 13, 2008, 09:21 Xyggy

I can sort of understand charging for server transfers to help keep populations under control (sort of), but I have to call bullshit on the paid character customization. I mean really, who cares how many times a person changes the look of their character? It has no impact on how the game plays at all. It's just another revenue stream - they know people will fork over the cash to do it, so why not do it, right? I think I would respect this answer more if this PR yokel just came right out and said that paid character customization is just another revenue stream, instead of pissing in my pocket and telling me it's raining.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo